MC2100 Swap Issues - Will fire, but wont stay running - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > MC2100 Swap Issues - Will fire, but wont stay running

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at Baselin

Unread 11-01-2009, 05:41 PM   #1
NelsonATC
1980 CJ7 

MC2100 Swap Issues - Will fire, but wont stay running

Swapped out from my Carter BBD today. After all is hooked up properly, turned the key, and it eventually fired. RPM's raced up high, then spuddered out. Fires right back up, but does the same. Stayed running if I kept RPM's up, but then noticed I had fuel spouting .

Pulled the cover and checked needle. Looked OK. Float level at .5in dry, so I brought it down another .1 in. Put it back together and fired. Still wont idle, fires, RPM's jump, then dies.

Jets are labeled 51f. Carb is 1.08

Last edited by NelsonATC; 11-01-2009 at 05:51 PM..
NelsonATC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-01-2009, 07:51 PM   #2
Olrev
1981 CJ7 

Did you rebuild it yourself? I'm no carb xpert but I have done a few of these and (as you know) they are a very simple carb. I'd go at in this order; check for fuel spray when you depress the linkage, you should get two nice streams of gas down each side. If not, check the accel pump. It can easily be put into the wrong hole. Check the spring in the accep pump housing. The narrow end should face out, toward the front of jeep. Then check for big vacuum leaks. I had trouble getting mine sealed around the base (sounds to me like this is your issue). I purchased a new gasket (the big, thick one) and it solved much of my leak problem. You may have to go back and clean out all your passages well, especially from the jets to the venturi cluster. It's pretty easy to take the cluster out and double check the flow through it. Your jets are large...but not too large. I run 50's in mine but I've got some mods that demand more. Seems like most guys run 47's or so in the 1.08.
81CJ7, 258, MC2100, TeamRush'd, 3"lift, 34x10.50TSL's, 3:31gears, Scrambler cab
Olrev is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-01-2009, 10:37 PM   #3
starfire340
1983 CJ7 

Ditto me for the 47's on my mains. It took a little fiddling around to get mine working properly as well. Olrev pretty much summed it all up. The only thing I will add is to make sure your needle and seat are working properly. Well worth the effort when this is all done!
starfire340 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-07-2009, 10:52 AM   #4
NelsonATC
1980 CJ7 

Vacuum leak was the major issue. When I took the carb off, you could see where it was not sealed properly. The Summit adaptor needed to be ground down to accommodate the screws from the power valve cover.

There was also a gasket issue. For anyone doing this swap, don't use the summit gasket between the carb and the plate (It leaves 2 small gaps at the back of the carb that you can't see once installed). Cut a custom one yourself.
Unread 11-07-2009, 12:42 PM   #5
Olrev
1981 CJ7 

Glad to hear you found it. Funny, some people run into the power valve issue but I haven't. The MC2100 had a few base configurations. It seemed like the earlier models were easier to seal since the base was smaller. A late 70's and up ended up with a big, square base and it was hard to find the right gasket to seal it. Although I'm happy with mine, I'm looking for dinosaur 2100's with the simple design...great carb.

Now you can take "Carter 2bbl" out of your profile and join the rest of us MC-er's.
81CJ7, 258, MC2100, TeamRush'd, 3"lift, 34x10.50TSL's, 3:31gears, Scrambler cab
Olrev is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.