Mayday!!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Mayday!!!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineToxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake LineCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 05-25-2004, 05:44 AM   #1
hydroguru
1986 CJ7 

Mayday!!!

I am new to the forum, but looks like if anyone can help it's you guys!
I've got an '86 CJ7. Recently took the plunge and dropped in a 4.0L from a '99 cherokee. I took it upon myself to modify the harness to remove the unneeded circuits (AC, ABS, etc.). And, wouldn't you know it, I can't get it to crank. I've purchased the OEM service manual for the Cherokee for the wiring and checked all the circuit logic (not saying I didn't miss something). The starter will fire, but she won't start.
I bought an OBDII to read the computer. One night, after a little ugly wire splicing, I got some trouble codes. Coolant temp switch, Evap solenoid and Battery temp senser. I replaced the coolant temp switch and now this thing is going crazy.
The fuel pump does not time out, stays on in the "run" position, and the automatic shutdown relay is buzzing away.??????? Now the OBDII won't even link up with the computer.
I'm at my wits end and could use some advice. Thanks in advance.

hydroguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2004, 11:23 AM   #2
CJ-5

Oops

I will have to say you goofed up on the harness work. Buy a painless harness and start again. This time cut nothing til it runs and works well, then do as you wish.
CJ-5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2004, 06:19 AM   #3
hydroguru
1986 CJ7 

Mayday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ-5
I will have to say you goofed up on the harness work. Buy a painless harness and start again. This time cut nothing til it runs and works well, then do as you wish.
Yeah, your probably right, but I took the time to trace everything and pretty confident all need circuits are there. Actually, last night I figured out most of it. I took for granted that the wires coming from the original ignition were fused. I redid all of and drew up a schematic.
She still won't start, but all circuits time out as they are suppose to and I thought I heard a stumble. So, I think there's hope yet. My plan it to verify fuel pump during start mode and check for ignition fire, etc.
Any other suggestions?
hydroguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2004, 07:44 AM   #4
CJeep
Alpha dog

1982 CJ8 

I don't know squat about your problems, but CJOffroad has a forum dedicated to the 4.0 swap. I'd look there and also post your questions there.

http://www.cjoffroad.com/forums/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=24

2004 Grand Limited 4.7 HO - OH Boy!

2010 Grand Laredo 5.7 Hemi - SICK - work vehicle -gone - replaced by an 08 Tahoe - nice ride.

"Both my Doberman and my Jeep can accurately be described as 'black and rust.'"

"I got a fever . . . and the only prescription is more cowbell"
CJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2004, 06:28 AM   #5
Sodbuster

I don't know anything about stock wiring, but I know from installing an Edelbrock and a Howell fuel injection that you have to be sure that you have juice in the start position as well as the run position. Everyting can look fine while the key is in the run position, but most of your fuse block connections are not active in the start position.
Sodbuster is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.