May purchase another CJ...need some advice - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > May purchase another CJ...need some advice

15 x 8 Black D-Window Steel Wheels Set of 4Advance Adapters SYE KitsRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 09-26-2007, 02:16 PM   #1
omanalansanjr

May purchase another CJ...need some advice

This CJ is for sale near me and i'm interested in getting it. But he says its not road wrothy cause it has no shocks and track bar.

Quote..
1975 Jeep CJ-5 122,275mi 258 Straight 6, T-18 4speed, Dana 20 Transfer case, Rebuilt 44 rear + 30 front, Warn locking hubs, SOA suspension, Heavy Duty shackels, 4 wheel 11" drum, 35-15.50 Superswamper TSLs, 3 " body lift, AGR power steering, Centerforce stage 1 clutch, Full roll cage, Fiberglass body-hood-fenders , Bestop seats, New Bestop Supertop with all hardware ( not installed) Poly gas tank

What should i look for when i go see this jeep regarding the SOA....I know some people do hack jobs on SOA, i'm curious....

Whats the difficulty in installing a track bar and shocks on a SOA system

Thanks
oscar

2003 Audi A4
1966 coupe mustang
oh and pocket bike
omanalansanjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2007, 05:46 PM   #2
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

I'd take a peek at the quality of the welds holding the perches to the axle housings. I'd also take a good look at the steering linkage to see if it is binding or making contact anywhere. Have someone turn full lock to lock while you watch the steering linkage. Remember, that's while the rig is sitting static. Flexing the suspension might cause binding where you won't see any while sitting still.
Shocks are easy enough to add on. Measure full droop, full compression and see what size shock will fit. Might have to do some fabrication/welding to mount them.. if there are no brackets currently in place. A well designed SOA shouldn't need a track bar. I drove my old SOA CJ5 (on 35" TSLs) up to about 65-70 mph with no ill-handling.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.