maxima to amc 20 disc brake conversion brackets blue print needed? - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > maxima to amc 20 disc brake conversion brackets blue print needed?

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectPoison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 03-26-2013, 08:11 PM   #91
Truck633
GO ONE MORE!!

Got it 90% done
On the drivers side, the bracket seems to need a 3/8 inch spacer between the caliper and the bracket, the passengers side is much closer! Has anybody else run into this?

And for the brake line, I bought two outer hoses for the 300 ZX calipers, I figured since the calipers are floating, I didn't want the hard line into them. They threaded in perfectly, but they are solid so if I disconnect them, I have to do it at the metal line to hose connection and leave the hose in the caliper. Small price to pay for disks, right?

I took a bunch of pictures, and will try to post them on here as soon as I finish up!

brake1.jpg   brake2.jpg  

Up here - we go by results, when you preached, people slept. When he flew, people prayed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindicated View Post
It's like dads new mistress. You hate her until you see her boobs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ionakana View Post
I bet the new bike riding monkey will pedal a lot faster!
Truck633 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2013, 08:56 PM   #92
titanjeep

1981 CJ5 

Nice work. My shimming for the calipers turned out to be same on both sides. Was the bracket tight to the axle flange on the driver's side?

Looking forward to seeing your right-up.

2003 KJ : 2002 to Present - Family Hauler
1981 CJ5: 2005 to Present - Build Thread
titanjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2013, 09:46 PM   #93
Truck633
GO ONE MORE!!

Yeah, I just figured that the axle tube was gunked up, so I used the grinder on the tube where it hooks to the axle flange and it lined up. I need to find out what people are using to connect the existing brake line to the new hose. It threads in, however it is loose and I am sure it will leak.

As for the drivers bracket gap, I centered the rotor and measured from caliper to bracket, I am going to turn a little piece of sched 80 pipe to .375 and use it as a spacer. Should be able to get it finished by the weekend.

Up here - we go by results, when you preached, people slept. When he flew, people prayed.

Quote:
Quote:
Unread 03-27-2013, 05:35 AM   #94
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Depending on the amount of spacing, I could cut shims from 16ga and 1/8".. using the same bolt pattern as the caliper bracket. That would allow "fine tuning" the caliper position?

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2013, 06:55 AM   #95
waterdowg
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BESRK View Post
Depending on the amount of spacing, I could cut shims from 16ga and 1/8".. using the same bolt pattern as the caliper bracket. That would allow "fine tuning" the caliper position?
Wow your starting to make an entire kit. Any word on makeing a spacer to replace the back plate on an AMC 20. Same as you made for your 44?
waterdowg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2013, 08:06 AM   #96
Truck633
GO ONE MORE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BESRK View Post

The top half of the bracket would be perfect, the lower (axle end) already fits snug and flush.

if you had a few different thickness's you would certainly be on to something!!

Quote:
Quote:
Unread 03-27-2013, 03:41 PM   #97
Truck633
GO ONE MORE!!

Titan, or anybody who may know. I found the 10 X1 to 3/8 X24 adapter, so my brake lines are now "peachy" I installed the calipers with the bleeder at the highest point, L (I assumed Left for drivers and R right for passengers).
My issue now is with the parking brake. Would it work if I switched sides with the calipers so the E-brake would be in front and closer to the cable, that way they would reach. It looks like they will fit, and the bleeder is still pretty high. Anybody have anything on this?
brake3.jpg  

Quote:
Quote:
Unread 03-27-2013, 04:47 PM   #98
waterdowg
1984 CJ7 

Someone the other day asked a simuliar question. But they thought about putting the brackets so the caliper is on the front side of the rotor. And swapped the left and right calipers. Not sure if they did that or not.
Unread 03-27-2013, 06:41 PM   #99
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truck633 View Post
The top half of the bracket would be perfect, the lower (axle end) already fits snug and flush.

if you had a few different thickness's you would certainly be on to something!!
Ahhhhh.. I see.. the caliper needs to move "outboard".. not inboard. Got it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterdowg View Post
Wow your starting to make an entire kit. Any word on makeing a spacer to replace the back plate on an AMC 20. Same as you made for your 44?
Brackets are easy for me. Once they're in CAD, it's simply a matter of pushing a button to produce a stack of them.

Doh!! I forgot all about that AMC spacer. I'll make a note on my work list.. sucks to have the memory of a housefly.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2013, 08:29 PM   #100
Truck633
GO ONE MORE!!

quick update
switched sides...No bueno!!! The bleed screw is below the resivior top... I t will never get that bubble out. I did see where I can re route my ebrake cable to gain a couple inches, and that should do it. If not, I will remove them and re-place the brackets forward of the axle like Rob did. I would prefer them aft of the axle due to rotational force, however since it isn't really a sports machine. that may be my best option!

Quote:
Quote:
Unread 03-27-2013, 10:58 PM   #101
titanjeep

1981 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truck633 View Post
quick update
switched sides...No bueno!!! The bleed screw is below the resivior top... I t will never get that bubble out. I did see where I can re route my ebrake cable to gain a couple inches, and that should do it. If not, I will remove them and re-place the brackets forward of the axle like Rob did. I would prefer them aft of the axle due to rotational force, however since it isn't really a sports machine. that may be my best option!
I am surprised that you needed the adapter. The hard lines I made (which were the same size as the stock ones) connected right up the hoses coming off the caliper. But our hoses do look different. Could be a change between the earlier and later model 300zx brackets.

As for the parking brake, I wasn't too concerned about the cable going below the axle because the stock cable ran to the lower part of the drum. My plan is to route the cable under the axle and secure it to the part of the drum backing plate I left in place. I just need to finish the measurements and figure out how long of cable I need and I wanted to have BESRK's brackets on hand for that.

If you do decide to move them forward like Rob, be sure you switch sides. I noticed in his pictures that his bleed screws ended up on the lower side of the reservoir (good catch by the way )

2003 KJ : 2002 to Present - Family Hauler
1981 CJ5: 2005 to Present - Build Thread
titanjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2013, 08:27 AM   #102
Truck633
GO ONE MORE!!

I moved them back (aft of the axle) and they are on the left and right side accordingly. I am going to switch the passengers side ebrake cable to the drivers and get another one for the pass side a few inches longer. We are going to find a suitable sub today at the parts store, I will post up the part number once I do.

Quote:
Quote:
Unread 03-28-2013, 09:36 AM   #103
Truck633
GO ONE MORE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by titanjeep View Post
I am surprised that you needed the adapter. The hard lines I made (which were the same size as the stock ones) connected right up the hoses coming off the caliper. But our hoses do look different. Could be a change between the earlier and later model 300zx brackets.

As for the parking brake, I wasn't too concerned about the cable going below the axle because the stock cable ran to the lower part of the drum. My plan is to route the cable under the axle and secure it to the part of the drum backing plate I left in place. I just need to finish the measurements and figure out how long of cable I need and I wanted to have BESRK's brackets on hand for that.

If you do decide to move them forward like Rob, be sure you switch sides. I noticed in his pictures that his bleed screws ended up on the lower side of the reservoir (good catch by the way )
The hard lines on mine were 3/8 24 and the holes in the caliper were MM 10 X1 They will thread in, but kinda loose and I didn't want a fail point in this system. Ricks Perfomance shop had everything in stock so it was pretty effortless, just had to order one fitting, should be here today or early tomorrow.

Quote:
Quote:
Unread 03-29-2013, 09:14 AM   #104
poorboywithjeep

Spacer

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterdowg View Post
I cut the flange off of the old axle seals and used it as my spacer instead of cutting my drum backing plate. They were both within .007 of each other.
poorboywithjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2013, 09:47 AM   #105
waterdowg
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by poorboywithjeep View Post

I cut the flange off of the old axle seals and used it as my spacer instead of cutting my drum backing plate. They were both within .007 of each other.
I was thinking of that but was not sure of the size. Those are cheap if I remember correctly

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.