maxima to amc 20 disc brake conversion brackets blue print needed? - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > maxima to amc 20 disc brake conversion brackets blue print needed?

Black Friday Sale - Deep Discounts from ExtremeTerrain.com6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 03-17-2013, 10:11 PM   #61
titanjeep

1981 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by poorboywithjeep View Post
Yes I'm ordering those off BESRK but don't you need the bracket off the car also or does the BESRK bracket bolt from the housing flange directly to the caliper?
You don't need the bracket off the car. The BESRK bracket bolts the caliper to the axle flange.

2003 KJ : 2002 to Present - Family Hauler
1981 CJ5: 2005 to Present - Build Thread
titanjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-18-2013, 10:26 AM   #62
poorboywithjeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by titanjeep

You don't need the bracket off the car. The BESRK bracket bolts the caliper to the axle flange.
Ok great! Thank you!
poorboywithjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-18-2013, 05:37 PM   #63
hmantractors
1979 CJ7 

Rotors

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterdowg View Post
Sorry if I gave you bad info on the rotors. It seems that this install has lots of conflicting information and what works for one does not work for others. So I looked at the specs. Guess you I can't trust those either. So my suggestion to anyone who does this swap. Check the rotors to the calipers before you leave the store. Again sorry .
FOUR DOOR ROTORS WILL NOT WORK. JUST MAKE SURE THE CALIPERS ARE CENTERED ON THE ROTORS. I HAD TO RELOCATE THE HOLES IN THE BRACKET TO MAKE THIS HAPPEN. IF NOT LOCATED CORRECT, PADS WILL WEAR WRONG-WILL NOT HAVE FULL STOPPING FORCE AND COULD LEAD TO THE PADS BEING KICKED OUT AS SOME HAVE EXPERIENCED.
hmantractors is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-18-2013, 06:51 PM   #64
waterdowg
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmantractors View Post
FOUR DOOR ROTORS WILL NOT WORK. JUST MAKE SURE THE CALIPERS ARE CENTERED ON THE ROTORS. I HAD TO RELOCATE THE HOLES IN THE BRACKET TO MAKE THIS HAPPEN. IF NOT LOCATED CORRECT, PADS WILL WEAR WRONG-WILL NOT HAVE FULL STOPPING FORCE AND COULD LEAD TO THE PADS BEING KICKED OUT AS SOME HAVE EXPERIENCED.
I did a lot research after I gave the info. It turns out the info was kind of right but wrong for Truck633. He purchased 84 300z calipers. Well in 84 the 300z rotors were 10.1mm. That would be the same as the Geo Tracker 2 door.
But in 87 Nissan changed the calipers and rotors. They use 20mm rotors. The Geo 4 door rotors are 17mm. If you use the 10mm on the 87/88 300z calipers they will kick when worn.

Now your idea of lowering the caliper on the bracket is awsome. I don't think I saw anyone do that, but I wonder if the 300z calipers are shorter. It would be nice to see some pic of the 300 caliper in relation to the rotor.
I think you solved the problem with the Maxima calipers.
waterdowg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-18-2013, 11:32 PM   #65
Truck633
GO ONE MORE!!

I will post photos when I get home in a day or two. If I recall, the 300 calipers had a pretty good recess where they fit into the brackets, if I move the caliper down I may have to work a shim in.

Now it is killing me, I wanna go home and work on the jeep!!!

Up here - we go by results, when you preached, people slept. When he flew, people prayed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindicated View Post
It's like dads new mistress. You hate her until you see her boobs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ionakana View Post
I bet the new bike riding monkey will pedal a lot faster!
Truck633 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-19-2013, 08:10 AM   #66
titanjeep

1981 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterdowg

I did a lot research after I gave the info. It turns out the info was kind of right but wrong for Truck633. He purchased 84 300z calipers. Well in 84 the 300z rotors were 10.1mm. That would be the same as the Geo Tracker 2 door.
But in 87 Nissan changed the calipers and rotors. They use 20mm rotors. The Geo 4 door rotors are 17mm. If you use the 10mm on the 87/88 300z calipers they will kick when worn.

Now your idea of lowering the caliper on the bracket is awsome. I don't think I saw anyone do that, but I wonder if the 300z calipers are shorter. It would be nice to see some pic of the 300 caliper in relation to the rotor.
I think you solved the problem with the Maxima calipers.
The mounting tabs on the 300ZX rotors are shorter, and the BESRK brackets are cut using a template for the 300ZX brackets. When I did my test fit of all the components this weekend, the pads were fully engaged on the rotor without the holes being lowered.

I hope to finish the instal and have some pictures up this weekend.

2003 KJ : 2002 to Present - Family Hauler
1981 CJ5: 2005 to Present - Build Thread
titanjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-19-2013, 08:20 AM   #67
CJ7ROB
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by titanjeep View Post
The mounting tabs on the 300ZX rotors are shorter, and the BESRK brackets are cut using a template for the 300ZX brackets. When I did my test fit of all the components this weekend, the pads were fully engaged on the rotor without the holes being lowered.

I hope to finish the instal and have some pictures up this weekend.
My '84 Z calipers on 2dr rotors using BESRK brackets:

Driver side:

Passenger side:
CJ7ROB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-19-2013, 09:55 AM   #68
Truck633
GO ONE MORE!!

Best news ever!

Now just gotta get back to NM!

Up here - we go by results, when you preached, people slept. When he flew, people prayed.

Quote:
Quote:
Unread 03-19-2013, 11:13 AM   #69
kappa505
1980 CJ5 

Truck, we live in the same city and I am doing this swap also.
"Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race." Supposedly President Coolidge
kappa505 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-19-2013, 12:32 PM   #70
Truck633
GO ONE MORE!!

Cool... I will shoot you a pm when I get home maybe early next week, we can compare notes!

Quote:
Quote:
Unread 03-19-2013, 07:06 PM   #71
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7ROB View Post

My '84 Z calipers on 2dr rotors using BESRK brackets:

Driver side:

Passenger side:
Sexy!!!

Now just put some Moser Engineering one-piece axles in there & it'll be really groovy!

Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-19-2013, 07:35 PM   #72
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

I'm cutting/bending some 3/16" tabs for the parking brake cable for Truck633. If they fit, I'll probably start cutting those to go with my Caliper brackets and maybe bump the price up to $30 shipped..

Before everyone bum rushes me with orders for those tabs, let me make sure they're gonna work first..

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-19-2013, 08:19 PM   #73
CJ7ROB
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Max View Post
Sexy!!!

Now just put some Moser Engineering one-piece axles in there & it'll be really groovy!

Max
Thx, yea I have the Moser 1 pc axles and new bearing kits. I'll get them installed eventually.
CJ7ROB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-19-2013, 09:03 PM   #74
jamie0921
1973 CJ5 

So what's the full cost of this conversion
jamie0921 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-19-2013, 09:04 PM   #75
Truck633
GO ONE MORE!!

I am in it for just under 400 with all new stuff....

Could be much cheaper with a visit to the junkyard

Quote:
Quote:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.