Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #196 of Old 04-28-2013, 10:08 PM
titanjeep
Registered User
1980 CJ5 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Colorado Springs
Posts: 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybooster2

Any news?
Tried bleeding the way you recommended this afternoon. Only got a couple of small (pin head sized) bubbles out of each caliper, but the pedal feels better. Hopefully I can get her out for a test drive in the next couple of days. Assuming all is well I can finally finish up the parking brake cable installation.


Air Force Jeep Club - Tail# JF183RV
2003 KJ
1980 CJ5
1988 Wagoneer
titanjeep is offline  
post #197 of Old 05-04-2013, 06:18 PM
titanjeep
Registered User
1980 CJ5 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Colorado Springs
Posts: 357
I am starting to wonder about the design of the mounting bracket. The current design has the rotors clocked between the 1 and 2 o'clock position on the rotors. But I think we would be better off mounting them at the 3 o'clock position. It is closer to the stock mounting position on the Nissan (as far as I can tell from my research) which should make them easier to bleed. And by slightly altering emergency brake brackets, I think that you could use the stock brake cables.

I am thinking about contacting BSERK and seeing if he could fab up some new brackets for the new mounting location. Anyone have a reason why this might be a bad idea?

Thanks.

Air Force Jeep Club - Tail# JF183RV
2003 KJ
1980 CJ5
1988 Wagoneer
titanjeep is offline  
post #198 of Old 05-18-2013, 02:22 PM
rsegriggy
Registered User
1981 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Holland PA
Posts: 62
Mine have to be unbolted and rotated to get them to bleed. It takes a few times. I'd like make a new bracket to rotate the caliper into a position it can be left attached and bled. I did use the stock CJ-7 e-brake cables with it.
rsegriggy is offline  
post #199 of Old 05-19-2013, 03:50 PM
titanjeep
Registered User
1980 CJ5 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Colorado Springs
Posts: 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsegriggy
Mine have to be unbolted and rotated to get them to bleed. It takes a few times. I'd like make a new bracket to rotate the caliper into a position it can be left attached and bled. I did use the stock CJ-7 e-brake cables with it.
Mine too. That is what first got me thinking qua out rotating them down.

How are you liking your set-up?

Air Force Jeep Club - Tail# JF183RV
2003 KJ
1980 CJ5
1988 Wagoneer
titanjeep is offline  
post #200 of Old 05-19-2013, 06:50 PM
rsegriggy
Registered User
1981 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Holland PA
Posts: 62
I've been very pleased with it. Took a while to get everything sorted out. The 4dr tracker rotors were the last piece that really helped. I am running a D44 in the rear, so my mounting pattern is a little different than the AMC20. I would like to make new brackets to rotate them into the position that they were on a stock Nissan. One thing to think about is switching sides with them. Not sure I have the left caliper on the left side of the jeep. They won't work if I switch them, the e-brake doesn't line up nearly as well.

How thick a plate is everyone using for the caliper bracket? Mine are made from 2 pieces of 1/4" plate welded together. I figure welding the seams and then sticking 6 bolts through it will keep everything together and make sure my welds aren't critical to safety.
rsegriggy is offline  
post #201 of Old 05-20-2013, 09:24 AM
CJ7ROB
Registered User
1986 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Whitehouse Stn,NJ
Posts: 1,459
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsegriggy View Post
I've been very pleased with it. Took a while to get everything sorted out. The 4dr tracker rotors were the last piece that really helped. I am running a D44 in the rear, so my mounting pattern is a little different than the AMC20. I would like to make new brackets to rotate them into the position that they were on a stock Nissan. One thing to think about is switching sides with them. Not sure I have the left caliper on the left side of the jeep. They won't work if I switch them, the e-brake doesn't line up nearly as well.

How thick a plate is everyone using for the caliper bracket? Mine are made from 2 pieces of 1/4" plate welded together. I figure welding the seams and then sticking 6 bolts through it will keep everything together and make sure my welds aren't critical to safety.
I think mostly everyone is using 3/8" plate.
CJ7ROB is offline  
post #202 of Old 07-20-2013, 11:09 PM
Truck633
GO ONE MORE!!
 
Truck633's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Las Cruces
Posts: 1,488
OK.....

after a LOT of trial and error (mostly error) I have changed some things around for this conversion.

I am running 35's and a 4:1 kit in my Dana 300 t-case, why is that important? because my goal is to get the rear brakes to hold when the CJ is suspended (on jackstands)

I have gathered most of the parts, however I am leaving for work and won't return for a week, when I get back I am going to start another thread, as I have hijacked the heck out of this one!!

If the results are as successful as the conversion we did on the YJ, I will finally be able to mark this conversion as complete!!



Stay tuned!!

____________________________________________
You don't need a parachute to skydive... You need a parachute to skydive TWICE!!!

Up here - we go by results, when you preached, people slept. When he flew, people prayed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindicated View Post
It's like dads new mistress. You hate her until you see her boobs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ionakana View Post
I bet the new bike riding monkey will pedal a lot faster!
Truck633 is offline  
post #203 of Old 07-21-2013, 04:47 AM
haro504
Registered User
1979 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: winchendon
Posts: 103
I had a 94 mercury sable with rear disk breaks and there was a e brake setup built into it. It might be another option for you guys. It would probably need a different type of mount though.
Attached Images
   
haro504 is offline  
post #204 of Old 07-21-2013, 08:13 AM
titanjeep
Registered User
1980 CJ5 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Colorado Springs
Posts: 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truck633 View Post
OK.....

after a LOT of trial and error (mostly error) I have changed some things around for this conversion.

I am running 35's and a 4:1 kit in my Dana 300 t-case, why is that important? because my goal is to get the rear brakes to hold when the CJ is suspended (on jackstands)

I have gathered most of the parts, however I am leaving for work and won't return for a week, when I get back I am going to start another thread, as I have hijacked the heck out of this one!!

If the results are as successful as the conversion we did on the YJ, I will finally be able to mark this conversion as complete!!



Stay tuned!!
Looking forward to seeing what you have done. Be sure to post a link to that thread here so we can follow along. Have a safe trip.

Air Force Jeep Club - Tail# JF183RV
2003 KJ
1980 CJ5
1988 Wagoneer
titanjeep is offline  
post #205 of Old 07-21-2013, 09:47 AM
sherlocktk
Registered User
1984 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Lake Forest CA
Posts: 327
Good luck with the 4 to 1 testing. I have done that on the ground 2 wheel low (front hubs unlocked) and the front tires skid and the rear keeps chugging. In first im doing about 3200 ft pounds out of the driveshaft potentially. That times your gear ratio makes for some seriously high ft lbs to your tires. I run 4.56 x 33 so I am lower than most i my gearing. If front hubs are locked You get all 4 brakes working for you and its much easier to stall it out. I have to push really hard in 4 low to stall in 1 st gear
sherlocktk is offline  
post #206 of Old 07-21-2013, 10:47 AM
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear
 
Mean Max's Avatar
1991 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Stuart, Florida
Posts: 13,734
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherlocktk View Post
Good luck with the 4 to 1 testing. I have done that on the ground 2 wheel low (front hubs unlocked) and the front tires skid and the rear keeps chugging. In first im doing about 3200 ft pounds out of the driveshaft potentially. That times your gear ratio makes for some seriously high ft lbs to your tires. I run 4.56 x 33 so I am lower than most i my gearing. If front hubs are locked You get all 4 brakes working for you and its much easier to stall it out. I have to push really hard in 4 low to stall in 1 st gear
True enough. I have a customer with a 4.2L CJ7 and an SM465 with 4.56 gears. With the transmission in 1st (granny low, 6.35:1 ratio) and the transfer case in 2HI the Jeep will not stall, and it will drive beyond the capability of the stock disc/drum brakes (not power assisted) with the engine idling.

Max

Click here to see all of my different albums on Photobucket.
Choose any album to see all of my pics!


Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is offline  
post #207 of Old 07-31-2013, 12:21 AM
titanjeep
Registered User
1980 CJ5 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Colorado Springs
Posts: 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truck633
OK.....

after a LOT of trial and error (mostly error) I have changed some things around for this conversion.

I am running 35's and a 4:1 kit in my Dana 300 t-case, why is that important? because my goal is to get the rear brakes to hold when the CJ is suspended (on jackstands)

I have gathered most of the parts, however I am leaving for work and won't return for a week, when I get back I am going to start another thread, as I have hijacked the heck out of this one!!

If the results are as successful as the conversion we did on the YJ, I will finally be able to mark this conversion as complete!!

Stay tuned!!
Any updates?

Air Force Jeep Club - Tail# JF183RV
2003 KJ
1980 CJ5
1988 Wagoneer
titanjeep is offline  
post #208 of Old 08-05-2013, 09:47 AM
Truck633
GO ONE MORE!!
 
Truck633's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Las Cruces
Posts: 1,488
Sorry for not getting back to this thread...

I did start another thread on my conversion... It should be said here that this conversion MAY work and only if you are running a stock setup with stock wheels... And then it is still a crapshoot!!

As for my progress with the new brackets and the GM calipers.. I can stop on a dime and give ya .08 cents change!!

It will hold the rears (suspended) in 4 low and the best thing is... NO MORE ANNOYING SQUEAK!!!!!

I took the CJ out this weekend and rode her hard both days... Flawless performance!!!

Here is the thread..

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/am...rsion-1554011/

____________________________________________
You don't need a parachute to skydive... You need a parachute to skydive TWICE!!!

Up here - we go by results, when you preached, people slept. When he flew, people prayed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindicated View Post
It's like dads new mistress. You hate her until you see her boobs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ionakana View Post
I bet the new bike riding monkey will pedal a lot faster!
Truck633 is offline  
post #209 of Old 03-15-2014, 08:05 PM
Wvuzach79
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Bridgeport
Posts: 1
Does besrk still make these brackets or does ne one have auto cad file to download?
Wvuzach79 is offline  
post #210 of Old 03-16-2014, 08:55 PM
Thbugman
Registered User
1978 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Psl
Posts: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wvuzach79
Does besrk still make these brackets or does ne one have auto cad file to download?
I don't know if he does but I have a set I'm not using. Ended up going with the TSM brakes.
Thbugman is offline  
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Jeep Forums Replies Last Post
AMC 20 disc brake conversion johnnypac Jeep CJ Forum 20 04-22-2011 07:38 PM
model 20 disc brake brackets jhorton Jeep CJ Forum 6 02-20-2011 11:29 PM
CJ disc brake conversion ? NCHornet Jeep CJ Forum 11 12-06-2007 07:47 PM
Disc Brake conversion CJmadison Jeep CJ Forum 4 02-24-2006 03:14 PM
Need spindle mount CJ disc brake brackets jeepmor Jeep CJ Forum 0 09-15-2004 12:27 PM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome