maxima to amc 20 disc brake conversion brackets blue print needed? - Page 14 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > maxima to amc 20 disc brake conversion brackets blue print needed?

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 04-28-2013, 10:08 PM   #196
titanjeep

1981 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybooster2

Any news?
Tried bleeding the way you recommended this afternoon. Only got a couple of small (pin head sized) bubbles out of each caliper, but the pedal feels better. Hopefully I can get her out for a test drive in the next couple of days. Assuming all is well I can finally finish up the parking brake cable installation.

2003 KJ : 2002 to Present - Family Hauler
1981 CJ5: 2005 to Present - Build Thread
titanjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2013, 06:18 PM   #197
titanjeep

1981 CJ5 

I am starting to wonder about the design of the mounting bracket. The current design has the rotors clocked between the 1 and 2 o'clock position on the rotors. But I think we would be better off mounting them at the 3 o'clock position. It is closer to the stock mounting position on the Nissan (as far as I can tell from my research) which should make them easier to bleed. And by slightly altering emergency brake brackets, I think that you could use the stock brake cables.

I am thinking about contacting BSERK and seeing if he could fab up some new brackets for the new mounting location. Anyone have a reason why this might be a bad idea?

Thanks.

Unread 05-18-2013, 02:22 PM   #198
rsegriggy
1981 CJ7 

Mine have to be unbolted and rotated to get them to bleed. It takes a few times. I'd like make a new bracket to rotate the caliper into a position it can be left attached and bled. I did use the stock CJ-7 e-brake cables with it.
rsegriggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2013, 03:50 PM   #199
titanjeep

1981 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsegriggy
Mine have to be unbolted and rotated to get them to bleed. It takes a few times. I'd like make a new bracket to rotate the caliper into a position it can be left attached and bled. I did use the stock CJ-7 e-brake cables with it.
Mine too. That is what first got me thinking qua out rotating them down.

How are you liking your set-up?

Unread 05-19-2013, 06:50 PM   #200
rsegriggy
1981 CJ7 

I've been very pleased with it. Took a while to get everything sorted out. The 4dr tracker rotors were the last piece that really helped. I am running a D44 in the rear, so my mounting pattern is a little different than the AMC20. I would like to make new brackets to rotate them into the position that they were on a stock Nissan. One thing to think about is switching sides with them. Not sure I have the left caliper on the left side of the jeep. They won't work if I switch them, the e-brake doesn't line up nearly as well.

How thick a plate is everyone using for the caliper bracket? Mine are made from 2 pieces of 1/4" plate welded together. I figure welding the seams and then sticking 6 bolts through it will keep everything together and make sure my welds aren't critical to safety.
rsegriggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2013, 09:24 AM   #201
CJ7ROB
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsegriggy View Post
I've been very pleased with it. Took a while to get everything sorted out. The 4dr tracker rotors were the last piece that really helped. I am running a D44 in the rear, so my mounting pattern is a little different than the AMC20. I would like to make new brackets to rotate them into the position that they were on a stock Nissan. One thing to think about is switching sides with them. Not sure I have the left caliper on the left side of the jeep. They won't work if I switch them, the e-brake doesn't line up nearly as well.

How thick a plate is everyone using for the caliper bracket? Mine are made from 2 pieces of 1/4" plate welded together. I figure welding the seams and then sticking 6 bolts through it will keep everything together and make sure my welds aren't critical to safety.
I think mostly everyone is using 3/8" plate.
CJ7ROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2013, 11:09 PM   #202
Truck633
GO ONE MORE!!

OK.....

after a LOT of trial and error (mostly error) I have changed some things around for this conversion.

I am running 35's and a 4:1 kit in my Dana 300 t-case, why is that important? because my goal is to get the rear brakes to hold when the CJ is suspended (on jackstands)

I have gathered most of the parts, however I am leaving for work and won't return for a week, when I get back I am going to start another thread, as I have hijacked the heck out of this one!!

If the results are as successful as the conversion we did on the YJ, I will finally be able to mark this conversion as complete!!

Stay tuned!!

Up here - we go by results, when you preached, people slept. When he flew, people prayed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindicated View Post
It's like dads new mistress. You hate her until you see her boobs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ionakana View Post
I bet the new bike riding monkey will pedal a lot faster!
Truck633 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2013, 04:47 AM   #203
haro504
1979 CJ7 

I had a 94 mercury sable with rear disk breaks and there was a e brake setup built into it. It might be another option for you guys. It would probably need a different type of mount though.
image-1884492812.jpg

image-1634529152.jpg

haro504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2013, 08:13 AM   #204
titanjeep

1981 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truck633 View Post
OK.....

after a LOT of trial and error (mostly error) I have changed some things around for this conversion.

I am running 35's and a 4:1 kit in my Dana 300 t-case, why is that important? because my goal is to get the rear brakes to hold when the CJ is suspended (on jackstands)

I have gathered most of the parts, however I am leaving for work and won't return for a week, when I get back I am going to start another thread, as I have hijacked the heck out of this one!!

If the results are as successful as the conversion we did on the YJ, I will finally be able to mark this conversion as complete!!

Stay tuned!!
Looking forward to seeing what you have done. Be sure to post a link to that thread here so we can follow along. Have a safe trip.

Unread 07-21-2013, 09:47 AM   #205
sherlocktk
1984 CJ7 

Good luck with the 4 to 1 testing. I have done that on the ground 2 wheel low (front hubs unlocked) and the front tires skid and the rear keeps chugging. In first im doing about 3200 ft pounds out of the driveshaft potentially. That times your gear ratio makes for some seriously high ft lbs to your tires. I run 4.56 x 33 so I am lower than most i my gearing. If front hubs are locked You get all 4 brakes working for you and its much easier to stall it out. I have to push really hard in 4 low to stall in 1 st gear
sherlocktk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2013, 10:47 AM   #206
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherlocktk View Post
Good luck with the 4 to 1 testing. I have done that on the ground 2 wheel low (front hubs unlocked) and the front tires skid and the rear keeps chugging. In first im doing about 3200 ft pounds out of the driveshaft potentially. That times your gear ratio makes for some seriously high ft lbs to your tires. I run 4.56 x 33 so I am lower than most i my gearing. If front hubs are locked You get all 4 brakes working for you and its much easier to stall it out. I have to push really hard in 4 low to stall in 1 st gear
True enough. I have a customer with a 4.2L CJ7 and an SM465 with 4.56 gears. With the transmission in 1st (granny low, 6.35:1 ratio) and the transfer case in 2HI the Jeep will not stall, and it will drive beyond the capability of the stock disc/drum brakes (not power assisted) with the engine idling.

Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2013, 12:21 AM   #207
titanjeep

1981 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truck633
OK.....

Stay tuned!!
Any updates?

Unread 08-05-2013, 09:47 AM   #208
Truck633
GO ONE MORE!!

Sorry for not getting back to this thread...

I did start another thread on my conversion... It should be said here that this conversion MAY work and only if you are running a stock setup with stock wheels... And then it is still a crapshoot!!

As for my progress with the new brackets and the GM calipers.. I can stop on a dime and give ya .08 cents change!!

It will hold the rears (suspended) in 4 low and the best thing is... NO MORE ANNOYING SQUEAK!!!!!

I took the CJ out this weekend and rode her hard both days... Flawless performance!!!

Here is the thread..

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/am...rsion-1554011/

Up here - we go by results, when you preached, people slept. When he flew, people prayed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindicated View Post
It's like dads new mistress. You hate her until you see her boobs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ionakana View Post
I bet the new bike riding monkey will pedal a lot faster!
Truck633 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2014, 08:05 PM   #209
Wvuzach79

Does besrk still make these brackets or does ne one have auto cad file to download?
Wvuzach79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2014, 08:55 PM   #210
Thbugman
1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wvuzach79
Does besrk still make these brackets or does ne one have auto cad file to download?
I don't know if he does but I have a set I'm not using. Ended up going with the TSM brakes.
Thbugman is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.