maxima to amc 20 disc brake conversion brackets blue print needed? - Page 13 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > maxima to amc 20 disc brake conversion brackets blue print needed?

ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 04-19-2013, 08:51 AM   #181
titanjeep

1981 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterdowg
Well there is a mood the used Caddy front calipers, but does not get you the e-brake set. I'm not so sure the nissan pads are to small. I look at my Suburban rear pad and yes they are twice the size, but it is much heavier and designed to pull and stop 10,000 trailer.
I was always told that the front did most of the stopping power.
Here is your Caddy conversion kit. It is going to be more expensive than the Nissan conversion, but less than the SSBC one.

http://www.tsmmfg.com/2590.html

2003 KJ : 2002 to Present - Family Hauler
1981 CJ5: 2005 to Present - Build Thread
titanjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-19-2013, 08:53 AM   #182
CJ7ROB
1986 CJ7 

For those actually using the 300x/Maxima calipers (b/c that's what this thread is about) are you switching your proportioning valve to 4whl disc like below? I talked to these guys that I bought my booster/MC from and he said I'd want to change to this one, or would you keep the stock disc/drum one and add an adjustable proportioner? thx

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jeep-CJ-univ...vip=true&rt=nc
CJ7ROB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-19-2013, 08:59 AM   #183
billybooster2
1983 CJ8 

http://biobug.org/jeep/cj/ref/Warn-B...structions.pdf

Cadillac brake info. You just need the bracket
billybooster2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-19-2013, 09:05 AM   #184
billybooster2
1983 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7ROB
For those actually using the 300x/Maxima calipers (b/c that's what this thread is about) are you switching your proportioning valve to 4whl disc like below? I talked to these guys that I bought my booster/MC from and he said I'd want to change to this one, or would you keep the stock disc/drum one and add an adjustable proportioner? thx

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jeep-CJ-univ...vip=true&rt=nc
I stuck with my manual brake prop valve, no alterations
Unread 04-19-2013, 10:02 AM   #185
82JeepCJ7
1982 CJ7 

I have been thinking about rotor and pad size for awhile. Although they do not offer a parking brake (what's that? Its never worked anyway...) I have been thinking about using CJ front calipers and F-150 front rotors. The F-150 rotors have a deep offset and would get the disc and caliper away from the wheel center a bit. This would allow for a simple bracket to be welded to the axle to support the caliper. In my opinion, this would be a much stronger setup with much thicker disc...

Wheel, Wrench, Repeat.
82JeepCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-19-2013, 10:10 AM   #186
82JeepCJ7
1982 CJ7 

CJ front disc on the rear and Ford SVO rear calipers...

2000 Mustang GT rear caliper with built in parking brake.

CJ front rotor on rear with SVO caliper.
rear-disc.jpg  

Wheel, Wrench, Repeat.
Unread 04-19-2013, 10:13 PM   #187
Truck633
GO ONE MORE!!

About the only thing this "upgrade" has done for me, is let me know it is time for '60s.

Oh well, live and learn!!!!

Up here - we go by results, when you preached, people slept. When he flew, people prayed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindicated View Post
It's like dads new mistress. You hate her until you see her boobs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ionakana View Post
I bet the new bike riding monkey will pedal a lot faster!
Truck633 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-20-2013, 08:37 AM   #188
titanjeep

1981 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truck633
About the only thing this "upgrade" has done for me, is let me know it is time for '60s.

Oh well, live and learn!!!!
I am assuming the bleeder did not perform as hoped.

Unread 04-20-2013, 10:32 AM   #189
hmantractors
1979 CJ7 

Brake calipers

I like that Ford SVO caliper, I hope somebody trys it. Hey Matt heres your chance. Things improve in the auto world very quckily. It is impossible to research and to be able to know what is out there to use as a possible improvement. It takes guys who are willing to invest time and resources to find something that works. Sometimes it's a home run, sometimes not so good. Somebody will hit on the perfect solution. If you are like Matt then just don't do it. The old saying is Rome wasn't built in a day. Hopefully someone will hit on it.
hmantractors is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-20-2013, 01:21 PM   #190
82JeepCJ7
1982 CJ7 

As time and money permits, I am going to try the CJ front rotor/SVO option. I will keep everyone posted as I go.

Wheel, Wrench, Repeat.
Unread 04-20-2013, 07:21 PM   #191
titanjeep

1981 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 82JeepCJ7 View Post
As time and money permits, I am going to try the CJ front rotor/SVO option. I will keep everyone posted as I go.
I will be curious to see how this works out for you. Be sure to start a thread when you make the mod.

So, I didn't get the parking brakes hooked up today (although the cables I bought look like they will work well). But, I did take her out for a drive!

Before going out for the drive, I had my wife pump the brakes so I could watch them engage the pads on the rotor. All was good, so I took her for a spin around the neighborhood. She stops really well... once the pedal is depressed about half way. I think this means I still have air in the system (but I welcome any other opinions). I am putting the parking brake cable installation on hold so I can try bleeding them on a block of wood.

Unread 04-21-2013, 08:19 AM   #192
billybooster2
1983 CJ8 

For bleeding, try simple gravity. Make the assumption that u were a good bleeder and the lines are not the issue, its the caliper. Disconnect the lowest caliper bolt and rotate. The caliper until the nipple is at top, crack it open slightly and start rotating past vertical. Little baby bubbles will come out, no need to pump pump hold from pedal. When bubbles stop, close, reinstall, test.
Unread 04-21-2013, 10:27 AM   #193
titanjeep

1981 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybooster2
For bleeding, try simple gravity. Make the assumption that u were a good bleeder and the lines are not the issue, its the caliper. Disconnect the lowest caliper bolt and rotate. The caliper until the nipple is at top, crack it open slightly and start rotating past vertical. Little baby bubbles will come out, no need to pump pump hold from pedal. When bubbles stop, close, reinstall, test.
Thanks... I will give that method a shot first before I try the wood block method.

Unread 04-24-2013, 08:26 AM   #194
billybooster2
1983 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by titanjeep

Thanks... I will give that method a shot first before I try the wood block method.
Any news?
Unread 04-24-2013, 06:47 PM   #195
titanjeep

1981 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybooster2

Any news?
Not yet. Unfortunately I won't have time to work on this until Saturday. But I will post an update and let you know how it works.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.