maxima to amc 20 disc brake conversion brackets blue print needed? - Page 10 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > maxima to amc 20 disc brake conversion brackets blue print needed?

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!2007 - 2011 Jeep JK Long Arm Lift KitsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 04-03-2013, 09:33 PM   #136
titanjeep

1981 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherlocktk View Post
I am one of thoes people that did NOT have probelms. I am still very happy with my install. I did not mess with proportining (safety) valve. Did not change master cylinder. I did use a harbor freight vacuum brake bleeder (about $20), this type gets air bubbles out way faster and you dont need to mess with the proprotinging valve then. Its like a speeed gravity bleed. You can get about 3 oz of fluid through without issue.

Installed calipers used washers as shims to get everthing in the right spot. One thing I can remember doing a little "different" is I set the emergency brake when bleeding figuring that getting more space behind the pistion in the caliper was good to help get the air bubbles out. It did take a week or so for the pistons to stop retracting into the caliper housing. I think heat and cool cycles help with this.
I am hoping to have a set-up like yours soon. I would like to keep as much of the original system in place as possible. And the more reading and thinking that I do, the more I am convinced that my pedal issues are not the result of the conversion. So, I finally broke down and bought the tool to reset the proportioning valve during bleeding. Should be here by Friday.

2003 KJ : 2002 to Present - Family Hauler
1981 CJ5: 2005 to Present - Build Thread
titanjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2013, 02:21 AM   #137
billybooster2
Web Wheeler
1983 CJ8 

I too had no issues. Junkyard nissan 300 rear calipers, geotracker rotors that needed their stud holes drilling a little and some washers

I had manual brakes and kept without alteration the proportioning valve

The only issue i had was bleeding and found that using a block of wood between the pads with the caliper off the wheel worked best. Making the bleed valve at the top rather than on the side did the trick

Then i went mad and installed a mustang hydroboost and the 35s luck up at all 4 corners when i need them to.
billybooster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2013, 09:34 AM   #138
waterdowg
1984 CJ7 

I was looking at the 68 Corvette MC. They one for Power one for manual. The Power has bore shaft of 1.25. The Manual has bore shaft of 1" whaich is the same as the CJ power MC. Both have the same size reservoir for fuild. So does it really matter which one to use? Is 1.25 bore better, worse or doesn't matter?
waterdowg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2013, 12:40 PM   #139
Truck633
GO ONE MORE!!

I went with the power one, just remember the end of the piston (ram) has a hole in it, where as your Jeep MC was solid.. I used a bolt and rounded the head on the grinder to fit flush..Works perfectly!!

I have a disk/disk prop valve on order, this is going to be the last thing I do for this upgrade. I am OK with how it is working now, the fronts have never been better, but I would like a little more grab in the rear..(yea, I said that)...

Up here - we go by results, when you preached, people slept. When he flew, people prayed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindicated View Post
It's like dads new mistress. You hate her until you see her boobs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ionakana View Post
I bet the new bike riding monkey will pedal a lot faster!
Truck633 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2013, 02:47 PM   #140
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterdowg View Post
I was looking at the 68 Corvette MC. They one for Power one for manual. The Power has bore shaft of 1.25. The Manual has bore shaft of 1" whaich is the same as the CJ power MC. Both have the same size reservoir for fuild. So does it really matter which one to use? Is 1.25 bore better, worse or doesn't matter?

All things being equal, the MC with the larger piston will push more fluid volume but won't produce as much clamping force at the caliper. The smaller piston won't push as much volume but will clamp harder.

The correct combination will push enough volume, and clamp hard enough, to work correctly with the selected calipers. Too big of a MC bore, and the brake pedal can be difficult to push.. while not clamping the caliper hard enough. Too small of a MC bore, the pedal will push easily, but may run out of travel before the calipers clamp down on the rotor.

In the world of Master Cylinders a bore difference of 1/4" is quite a bit.

A few CJs ago, I was trying to sort out a hyrdaulic clutch conversion using aftermarket (Tilton) master cylinders. Swapping between 7/8", 1" and 1 1/8" bores made a big difference in how much the clutch fork moved.. and how hard the clutch pedal was to push.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2013, 03:22 PM   #141
waterdowg
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BESRK View Post

All things being equal, the MC with the larger piston will push more fluid volume but won't produce as much clamping force at the caliper. The smaller piston won't push as much volume but will clamp harder.

The correct combination will push enough volume, and clamp hard enough, to work correctly with the selected calipers. Too big of a MC bore, and the brake pedal can be difficult to push.. while not clamping the caliper hard enough. Too small of a MC bore, the pedal will push easily, but may run out of travel before the calipers clamp down on the rotor.

In the world of Master Cylinders a bore difference of 1/4" is quite a bit.

A few CJs ago, I was trying to sort out a hyrdaulic clutch conversion using aftermarket (Tilton) master cylinders. Swapping between 7/8", 1" and 1 1/8" bores made a big difference in how much the clutch fork moved.. and how hard the clutch pedal was to push.
So with that said, I wonder what size bore the nissian uses? I will have to look that up.
Unread 04-04-2013, 04:08 PM   #142
waterdowg
1984 CJ7 

I researched the Nissan MC and 88 300z and 99 maxima has bore of .937 which is 15/16 so the 1" bore looks closer to a match.
Unread 04-04-2013, 10:03 PM   #143
Truck633
GO ONE MORE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterdowg View Post
I researched the Nissan MC and 88 300z and 99 maxima has bore of .937 which is 15/16 so the 1" bore looks closer to a match.
I may try this... It is a very quick switch and if you are on to something.. I will do backflips!!!

Up here - we go by results, when you preached, people slept. When he flew, people prayed.

Quote:
Quote:
Unread 04-06-2013, 06:32 PM   #144
Truck633
GO ONE MORE!!

Eddie..
I modified the bracket for the ebrake on the drivers side. By doing this I was actually able to use both stock cables. I moved the calipers to the forward positions on the axles, and re routed the ebrakes to fit.

I have brakes now. NOt great, but they stop.

I feel a HUGE need for a pair of 60s under this thing!!
modify2.jpg  

Quote:
Quote:
Unread 04-06-2013, 08:50 PM   #145
billybooster2
Web Wheeler
1983 CJ8 

I got the junkyard 300zx calipers and the e-brake bracket works fine...albeit i did buy some from bsrk

TODAY I rbuilt the leaking piston ... MUXCH better, no leaks!
billybooster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2013, 11:04 PM   #146
titanjeep

1981 CJ5 

Bled the system again today. The pedal is much better and the rear calipers appear to be working. Looking forward to getting it started and out for a road test.

Also got my BESRK brackets this week. The parking brake bracket bolted right up. Hope to get the cables ordered tomorrow and the installation completed next weekend.

2003 KJ : 2002 to Present - Family Hauler
1981 CJ5: 2005 to Present - Build Thread
titanjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2013, 09:11 PM   #147
Truck633
GO ONE MORE!!

On sale for 24 bucks at HF

Will try it out tomorrow and report!!!
bleeder.jpg  

Quote:
Quote:
Unread 04-17-2013, 07:43 PM   #148
hmantractors
1979 CJ7 

Brakes

HI TITANJEEP, DID YOU GET YOUR BRAKES WORKING PROPERLY? AS I STATED IN A PREVIOUS POST I WAS NOT COMPLETELY HAPPY WITH THEM. THIS PAST WEEKEND IN INSTALLED A VACUUM BOOSTER FROM AN 80 CJ7. ALSO INSTALLED A 1968 CORVETTE MASTER CYLINDER WITH THE DISC-DISC OPTION. I FINALLY HAVE BRAKES I CAN LIVE WITH. THE MORE I DRIVE IT THE PADS ARE BEDDING AND THE BETTER IT STOPS. FEELS LIKE BRAKES WE ARE ALL USED TO. ISN'T JUST A HARD PEDAL. SINCE I HAD TO MAKE THE BRAKE LINES FROM THE MASTER TO THE PROP VALVE LONGER, I BLEW OUT THE LINES TO TAKE THEM TO THE PARTS STORE. THE FRONT BRAKE LINE BLEW OUT JUST FINE. THE 1/4' REAR BRAKE LINE WAS INTERESTING. IT SEEMED TO HAVE SOME KIND OF A RESTRICTION IN IT. WHATEVER BLEW OUT I COULD NOT FIND. REALLY WANTED TO FIND IT. THE REAR BRAKES HAD FLUID. OH WELL. HOPE YOU GET YOURS WORKING.
hmantractors is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2013, 05:33 AM   #149
waterdowg
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmantractors View Post
HI TITANJEEP, DID YOU GET YOUR BRAKES WORKING PROPERLY? AS I STATED IN A PREVIOUS POST I WAS NOT COMPLETELY HAPPY WITH THEM. THIS PAST WEEKEND IN INSTALLED A VACUUM BOOSTER FROM AN 80 CJ7. ALSO INSTALLED A 1968 CORVETTE MASTER CYLINDER WITH THE DISC-DISC OPTION. I FINALLY HAVE BRAKES I CAN LIVE WITH. THE MORE I DRIVE IT THE PADS ARE BEDDING AND THE BETTER IT STOPS. FEELS LIKE BRAKES WE ARE ALL USED TO. ISN'T JUST A HARD PEDAL. SINCE I HAD TO MAKE THE BRAKE LINES FROM THE MASTER TO THE PROP VALVE LONGER, I BLEW OUT THE LINES TO TAKE THEM TO THE PARTS STORE. THE FRONT BRAKE LINE BLEW OUT JUST FINE. THE 1/4' REAR BRAKE LINE WAS INTERESTING. IT SEEMED TO HAVE SOME KIND OF A RESTRICTION IN IT. WHATEVER BLEW OUT I COULD NOT FIND. REALLY WANTED TO FIND IT. THE REAR BRAKES HAD FLUID. OH WELL. HOPE YOU GET YOURS WORKING.
Which MC did you buy the one for Power or Manual brakes?
Unread 04-18-2013, 06:53 AM   #150
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Having just read this entire thread, it seems there are a lot of kinks that still need to be ironed out on this upgrade. I was thinking about doing this when I rebuild my axles, but my drums work fine, and I don't want to go thru the frustration Truck has, so I think I'll pass.

Has anyone put together a concise, and successful, install write-up on this, or are we still in the R&D phase?

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.