Master cylinder for disc brakes? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Master cylinder for disc brakes?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 12-27-2010, 05:56 AM   #1
Avon_JeepMan
1977 CJ7 

Master cylinder for disc brakes?

I rebuilt my 1977 CJ7 using reverse-cut Dana 44 axles from a Ford in both the front and rear of the Jeep. The front uses Chevy disc brake calipers, and the rear uses Ford Motor sport disc brake calipers which I purchased from Parts Mike. I like the set up and think it turned out really well. However, the stock 1977 CJ7 master cylinder arrangement does not seem to be providing enough fluid pressure (or volume?).

Because I live in in rural central Minnesota and am not in my mid twenties anymore, I do not drive the Jeep in the winter. So I would like to start on the brakes project now so that I am done before spring.

I would like to start by figuring out what I need to drop a single line down to the front axle and Tee it to both calipers similar to a Dodge set-up.
What size of steal brake line should I use from the master cylinder to the point where is drops down to the front axle?
What size of line should I use from the Tee on the axle to each front caliper?
Is there a bracket that I need to attach the end of the steal brake line and support the rubber hoses on the ends of the axles?
What size of brake line should I run to the back of the vehicle?

Since money is somewhat tight right now, would I gain anything by purchasing a booster and using my existing 77 CJ7 master? I read that the 1977-78 CJ7's used a 1-1/16" cylinder. Would I see an improvement by adding the booster and using my existing (new) stock CJ7 master cylinder or would I be wasting my time?
What is the difference between the 1977 CJ7 master cylinder and the Corvette master cylinder the I will likely be buying in the future?

Does someone have a diagram of your set up?

Avon_JeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.