Massive Jeep Parts Web Database - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Massive Jeep Parts Web Database

Labor Day Sale!Clayton Off Road - last day of the Labor Day special!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 02-24-2002, 10:33 AM   #1
Guy Hollister

Massive Jeep Parts Web Database

I have been building a database of websites and contact details of every Jeep Parts and manufacturer on this little planet.

The idea is to provide it for you Jeep Heads to download - its both mac and PC compatible and you can add your own links to it if you wish.

I am looking for "features" to add to it that you would need to do regularly... in the future add things like a service reminder with settings for your vehicle.

I already have built a VIN decoder that works great and instantly.

You guys got any more ideas ? Get creative - i'm open to cunning plans...

Almost ready to release the first version... you will all be informed.

Cheers
Guy

Unread 02-24-2002, 10:44 PM   #2
Jeep CJ5

Ok...what if I input my year and model Jeep and you give me specs....axles, engine, trans, vehicle dimensions...etc...

Maybe an engine/trans compatibilty chart of some type...say I want to drop an 350 into a 99 TJ will the trans work and what adaptors will I need or if I wanted to drop the same engine into a 74 CJ-5?? (might get too complex)

Or how about a model year/lift/tires that will fit section? I input my year Jeep with 'x' lift and you tell me what size tires will fit with no modifications/mild mods...

Something I have always wanted to see was a chart of pictures of different year Jeeps with different lifts and tires on them to see how they look....just an idea

Is this the type stuff you are looking for Guy?
Unread 02-24-2002, 10:47 PM   #3
Jeep CJ5

i would also add a feature to highlight 'dead' links...this was a year or so down the road when you have 1000 different links you are not trying to sort thru them to see if they are all alive. If I could click something for you to see the link may be dead so you can check it out it will make the site more efficent. (I dont think you would want to give others the ability to remove links from your database)

What kind of categories are you going to organize the links into?
Unread 02-25-2002, 02:20 AM   #4
Guy Hollister

Thats pretty much exactly what i was looking for ...

Your ideas are very good but major amount of research is required to execute them - if i had the info i could make it work and look great - thanks alot for that.

Also I like the specs idea... i will do that.

Dead links is a good idea... just have to think of a way to record them and send them back to me at HQ...

I'm dubious about the idea to let people enter their own and delete some... as it makes updating the DB harder... I could split it though so private links are in own db and mine are in another.... but they all look like they are in the same.

One idea i had is a universal problem matrix. Being ... my CJ7 1984 has rust in exactly the same places as most other Cj7's of that year, all have their faults that are the same from rig to rig... a buyer of jeeps might like to know what to look for - but the only thing is that they would prolly buy the rig before they found/got my software !

In a way the removing links thing from the db is not such a problem - as the value of the software is that its OFFLINE, a client you use at work in the car... on holiday when the wife isn't watching... to figure out your research plans to find the bits you want.

It wouldn't go into detail regarding parts though just general ... www.alpine1.com - Audio gear for the masses for example.

As far as categories go ... Im creating them on the fly... but are busted down in to major sections ... lights, steering, suspension, blah blah... any pne out there who has done their own little lists at home - i'de be very greatful for your lists to see what i've missed... as im in the middle of alot of things and its hard to tell whats missing.

Cheers keep em coming...

I have a buddy who lives in Hoboken !
Guy

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.