Many Gauge Questions (78 CJ7)... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Many Gauge Questions (78 CJ7)...

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 10-21-2003, 03:05 PM   #1
TrappG

Many Gauge Questions (78 CJ7)...

Where do I start??? I'm basically looking for points of entry on getting my issues straightened out...

Speedo cluster: speedo works. H2O temp will go to extreme hot zone after about 2 minutes of running. I know it's not actually running hot because I'm not even out of the neighborhood yet and the cooling system isn't even pressurized by the time it's reading hot. (I have a fairly new radiator, new therm. and rad. cap) Temp. gauge sending unit??? Fuel gauge reads full all the time. I have a feeling this will require I drop the tank and get to the mechanics/electronics of that???

Amps: It sits on zero all the time. What is it supposed to read? Battery and alt are brand new. (not sure if gauge is stock or aftermarket)

Oil Pressure: Reads about 20+psi when cruising at 45 mph (or most speeds for that matter) When idling it's lower and under acceleration it's higher than 20+. Is 20psi under normal running conditions pretty normal for my 304 or should I see it higher? I feel like the gauge works but am just concerned with it's readings. (not sure if gauge is stock or aftermarket)

And last but not least, none of my dash lights work. All lights, brake lights, turn signals, whipers, heater fan, etc. work fine. Where do I start to troubleshoot this?

Thanks guys (and gals, of course)! This forum has been nothing but 100% informative since my introduction to this crazy "Jeep thing" only a couple of months ago.

'04 Sahara - I6, 5spd bone-stock...

Last edited by TrappG; 10-21-2003 at 03:08 PM..
TrappG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-21-2003, 03:12 PM   #2
andyp65

where are you connecting your temp sending unit at on my dads 76 his Sender is at the front of the block and on my 81 its at the back of the block
[B][COLOR=red]BIG GUNS[/COLOR][COLOR=white] AND[/COLOR] [COLOR=blue] JEEP [/COLOR] OWNERS OF AMERICA MEMBER # 20 [/B]

And yeah its a real jeep with round headlights and leaf springs :)

Semper Fidelis!
andyp65 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-21-2003, 03:16 PM   #3
jddausch
2012 JK Wrangler 

you need to check all of your gauges, wiring and grounds before anything. one bad ground can screw up a whole mess of stuff.

check this site: http://www.monsterslayer.com/jeep/Gauges.htm

it will walk you through everything. good luck
'12 JK Sahara
jddausch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-21-2003, 11:03 PM   #4
kjc2260

I had all those same problems with my '77 and I'll tell you what I did to fix it and hopefully it will help you. First, you're fuel and temp gauge work together, so one or both could be bad. I took the dash panel off so I had better access and removed the speedo, oil pr., and volt gauges. I then replaced both the fuel and temp gauges with new ones that I ordered from 4wd Hardware. (about 70.00 for the pair) Make sure you clean all the corrosion off the metal strap that connects the two. I then replaced the oil pr. and volt gauge with Auto Meter gauges that fit in the stock size holes, so no grinding is needed ( about 75.00 for the pair) Hopefully you have a Haynes or some kind of maintenance manual with wiring layout and used it to check all my wires for power that go to the different lights. That way you can find out which indicator lamps you need to replace. I replaced all mine since they only cost about 20.00. This in addition to checking the usual loose wires, grounds, ect. Now everything works like it should. If not, then I would worry about a bad float in the tank. That's a whole different can of worms to get into. Hope this helps.
kjc2260 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-22-2003, 02:48 AM   #5
Sandman74

Man, in all honesty I would ditch the stock gauges and go with some quality aftermarket gauges. Summitt racing sells AutoMeter gauge kits for about$220. Atleast you know you are dealing with something that works. I wish I knew how many stock gauges I sent back to 4wdHardware because of defect. Atleast that would give you a foundation to build off of.
Unread 10-22-2003, 01:14 PM   #6
NJCJ7

mechanical aftermarket gauges are the way to go, especially for oil press and volts (which isn't really mechanical of course), which are in separate holes anyway. Ditch the Ammeter and go with volts, that's better anyway. Do the checks for fuel level and water temp to find out if gauge or sender is the culprit, then replace the appropriate parts or sort out the shorts/improper ground issues.

The dash lights do have their own fuse (at least in my 85) so that's something basic you'll want to check for that problem (if you haven't already). This is what i did:

Unread 10-22-2003, 09:00 PM   #7
Jeep Daddy
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I like the diamond plate. Good answers to the questions. What brand of gauges are those? They look sweet. Another post was right on about the fuel and temp gauge working together. They actually have a strap together that is in fact a voltage regulator. If that part is bad, both gauges will be wrong.
Unread 10-24-2003, 07:57 AM   #8
NJCJ7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep Daddy
I like the diamond plate. Good answers to the questions. What brand of gauges are those? They look sweet. Another post was right on about the fuel and temp gauge working together. They actually have a strap together that is in fact a voltage regulator. If that part is bad, both gauges will be wrong.
Thanks... i was happy with how it turned out. The gauges are Autogage, made by Autometer, so the quality is high, but they're the "budget" model line... i think they were around $20 each. The don't look as cool as Autometers, but they kind of fit the look of the jeep.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.