Manuals - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Manuals

The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 04-26-2013, 09:43 PM   #1
wsmutch
1986 CJ7 

Manuals

I have a 1986 CJ-7. It had a body off rebuild, but they didn't really finish it. A lot of gauges and lights and horn are not working, and the engine compartment looks like some one threw up a spaghetti dinner. Wires all over. Is there a good manual that covers wiring diagrams, adjusting carbs. I see a Hemmings manual on Ebay.

wsmutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2013, 10:59 PM   #2
7179CJ5
1979 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsmutch
I have a 1986 CJ-7. It had a body off rebuild, but they didn't really finish it. A lot of gauges and lights and horn are not working, and the engine compartment looks like some one threw up a spaghetti dinner. Wires all over. Is there a good manual that covers wiring diagrams, adjusting carbs. I see a Hemmings manual on Ebay.
Take every thing out and replace wiring harness yourself. If you try to fix what the PO did you may be chasing your tale for a while. I bought a Painless wiring harness and did myself, fairly easy.
7179CJ5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2013, 08:53 AM   #3
wsmutch
1986 CJ7 

I've seen the Painless wiring harness on different sites. I replaced the harnes on a Dodge M-37 I restored, but I had a very detailed manual and a wiring diagram. Does the Painless kit come with instructions?
wsmutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2013, 09:36 AM   #4
thantos858
Web Wheeler
1974 CJ5 

The FSM for your year is the best repair book. Look online for one. The next would be a haynes type which does cover wiring with a diagram thats not as detailed.

I personally wont use a painless harness as they are far from painless much easier for me to build one specifically for what I need/want.
thantos858 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2013, 12:43 PM   #5
7179CJ5
1979 CJ5 

Yes the painless harness does come with instructions for several different applications. I didn't have much experience with wiring before so I did have to call there tech support which was very helpful and was able to complete the install.
7179CJ5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.