Manual to power brake conversion on 82 cj5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Manual to power brake conversion on 82 cj5

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 03-21-2013, 02:39 PM   #1
Ranger1861
1982 CJ5 

Manual to power brake conversion on 82 cj5

My cj was offered with manual or power brakes. Mounting holes for brake booster are in place. Removed the master cylinder and bolts in the booster mounting holes. Bought a booster and new master cylinder for the power brake model and it don't fit with the clutch cylinder. Am I missing something with changing it over? There is not enough room for both the booster and the clutch cylinder.

Ranger1861 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-21-2013, 08:42 PM   #2
firecap1962
1983 CJ7 

do you have a bracket on the back of the booster?
firecap1962 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-21-2013, 09:30 PM   #3
Cj5Betty
1981 CJ5 

There is a bracket that goes from the firewall to the booster, the booster does not bolt directly up to the firewall. Here is a pic of mine.

You will also need new linkage, it is a completely different setup than with just the master cylinder. I made my own linkage, but after the fact I found a pretty kit on eBay that included the brackets and the linkage. I will see if I can find the link. Hope this helps.
image-3737918000.jpg   image-3026022108.jpg  
Unread 03-21-2013, 09:34 PM   #4
Cj5Betty
1981 CJ5 

Here is a link to a kit.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1974-1986-JE...5229ce&vxp=mtr

And here is a pic of the setup you need:

Again, hope that helps!
image-3417162747.jpg  
Unread 03-21-2013, 10:11 PM   #5
Ranger1861
1982 CJ5 

Thank you. That explains alot. I need the bracket.
Ranger1861 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-21-2013, 10:14 PM   #6
Cj5Betty
1981 CJ5 

Don't forget the linkage too!
Unread 03-21-2013, 10:24 PM   #7
sgtbookie
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Betty, is that kit pretty much a turn key solution to go from stock manual to power?

- 2005 Unlimited Rubicon Sahara #380 -
sgtbookie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-21-2013, 10:36 PM   #8
Cj5Betty
1981 CJ5 

It looked like it to me. I didn't actually buy it, but found after I did my conversion. In hind sight, I would have just bought one of those kits. I bought the booster, the master cylinder and the bracket from a guy on cl. After I got it home and started to install, I realized that you have to have different linkage. Based on my experience, those kits are the way to go, and pretty reasonably priced ( I didn't really save any money doing it the way I did).

The other thing to note is that when you install the lines into the master cylinder, they will be reverse of what they are with manual brakes. Meaning, the line in the front port now will actually go to the port in the rear on the power brakes. The line fittings are different size, so you don't have to worry about putting them in the wrong spot. I was able to get the existing lines bent around to work, but a lot of guys end up putting new lines from the splitter block up to the master cylinder.
Unread 03-21-2013, 10:38 PM   #9
Cj5Betty
1981 CJ5 

So to make a long answer short, yes it is a turn key solution, haha.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.