Manual brakes to power brakes - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Manual brakes to power brakes

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 06-16-2007, 03:06 PM   #1
theclothman

Manual brakes to power brakes

I am going to switch my 78 CJ from manual brakes to power brakes. At first I was told all I needed was a power brake booster. I bought one and it does not bolt into the firewall and it won't connect to the pedal linkage. Doeas anyone know of a oem replacement system? I saw one on Amazon for $400, but wanted to get a little insider info before shelling out that kind of money. Also, is there a better way to impove the stopping power of the Jeep. I know the power brakes will only change the amount of effort required to stop the Jeep but not improve the stopping distance. Any advice?

theclothman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-16-2007, 03:27 PM   #2
Fatman
2008 CJ7 

Does this help:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/searc...archid=1204775
Unread 06-16-2007, 03:35 PM   #3
CjinPA
Web Wheeler

1984 CJ7 

I would just use a YJ power brake booster, master cylinder, and firewall bracket. The YJ set up works much better than the CJ power brakes set up. Here is a link on to how to do the swap,
http://www.desertcj7.com/yj_brake_booster_upgrade.htm

Jeeps that I am currently parting out;
1994 Jeep YJ 4cyl 5spd
1992 Jeep YJ 4cyl 5spd
CjinPA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-16-2007, 05:14 PM   #4
John N
1981 CJ8 

Simplest way, since it sounds like you don't mind spending a few bucks, is to call Vanco Power brakes or Off Again Off-road. Both sell a duel diaphram system with a larger master cylinder, new parts. It'll be a bolt-in, no extra parts needed. It'll hook to your pedel and brake lines, the difference is amazing and will stop big tires very well.
John N is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-16-2007, 05:37 PM   #5
theclothman

Well I like the YJ idea and the Vanco one sounds good also. What does that run? Sounds like all of these are dual diaphram systems. Is that the key to the upgrade? What does the Ford hydaulic upgrade offer? Any input?
Unread 06-16-2007, 08:17 PM   #6
CjinPA
Web Wheeler

1984 CJ7 

The YJ brake booster is a single diaphragm booster except for 95 YJ's with the six cylinder motor. A 95 YJ with the 4.0L motor has a dual diaphragm booster. The single diaphragm YJ set up is still a great improvement over the CJ set up.
Here is a link to Vanco web site,
http://www.vancopbs.com/
CjinPA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-17-2007, 04:39 AM   #7
wifflesniffle
1985 CJ7 

Don't forget to change proportioning valve.
wifflesniffle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-17-2007, 06:10 AM   #8
wheelinjames

Sorry for the hi-jack. (I know very little about power brakes) If the motor stalls do you loose all breaking ability? Or does it just revert to manual brakes when the engine is off?

Anyone use an electric power source for un-interuppted power to the brakes?
Unread 06-17-2007, 06:18 AM   #9
GPER
1979 CJ7 

I put a 90 YJ booster and master cylinder on my CJ
http://www.terrainstompers.com/forum...opic.php?t=801
Works much better.
GPER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-17-2007, 06:20 AM   #10
John N
1981 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wifflesniffle
Don't forget to change proportioning valve.
I've never had the need. Went from standard, to stock power brakes to Navaho from Off Again. They work great, even with a Scout II rear and Waggy front. Now, if I went disk in the rear..I'd agree.
John N is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-17-2007, 07:23 AM   #11
theclothman

I've seen that Vanco offers a vacuum system and a hydaulic system that runs off the power steering pump. Heard anything about the positives or negatives of the hydo system? Also, how much does the Navajo system cost? It looks like a real winner. Do you ever have your brakes lock up too easily or are they too touchy for every day driving? Also, why change the proportioning valve? Did you also change out your calipers in the front and what pads would you reccomend?
Unread 06-17-2007, 07:28 AM   #12
coas

I installed Ford Mustang hydrobooster over the manual brake, cost is about 200$ and it's almost a bolt on. Much better then any vacuum assist booster and you can retain the stock air filter due to the slim design.
With this setup I can run 35 with ease.

The bonus is the N2 canister, it will provide about 5 full braking after the engine died.

Unread 06-17-2007, 07:48 AM   #13
theclothman

When you say almost bolt on what do you mean? Did you have to drill holes in the firewall or modify the linkage?
Unread 06-17-2007, 08:14 AM   #14
jayhawkclint
1970 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CjinPA
I would just use a YJ power brake booster, master cylinder, and firewall bracket. The YJ set up works much better than the CJ power brakes set up. Here is a link on to how to do the swap,
http://www.desertcj7.com/yj_brake_booster_upgrade.htm
I used the XJ setup. I think the XJ works better because it omits that bracket that spaces booster out away from the firewall and so you'll gain 5" or so of space around the engine.

Unread 06-17-2007, 08:22 AM   #15
theclothman

jayhawkclint, that's a nice looking jeep, props to you. What didi you do on the other side of the firewall? Did you keep the cj linkage or totally swap out the xj brakets, linkage and pedal? Any drilling or was it a bolt-up install? Also is this a dual diapphram set-up?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.