Which Manual is better? Haynes or Chiltons? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Which Manual is better? Haynes or Chiltons?

TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGTJ, YJ & LJ Drop Down Tail Gate Conversion KitLJ Suspension Systems from Clayton Off Road

Unread 02-05-2012, 06:56 AM   #1
slumley1
1985 CJ7 

Which Manual is better? Haynes or Chiltons?

Title says it all.

Thanks

slumley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2012, 06:59 AM   #2
stodg73
1979 CJ5 

I have both, plus a Clymer.

All of them have good and bad points. If one does not have what I am looking for, then another one might have it.
Unread 02-05-2012, 07:03 AM   #3
CJunk
1984 CJ7 

This is as good as it gets.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/84...27/index2.html
CJunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2012, 07:09 AM   #4
Bubba Ray
1984 CJ7 

Get the Rebuilders manual by Moses Ludel. My copy is very grease stained from a lot of use.
Bubba Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2012, 07:33 AM   #5
slumley1
1985 CJ7 

Thanks. The links are great. If I'm needing a manual for torque specs for an amc 360 and am only going to get one manual, which should it be?
slumley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2012, 08:35 AM   #6
5-90
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Chilton's.

Clymers have been out of print (bugger - they were good!) and Haynes sucks for domestics.

Check around on eBay - you can often score secondhand manuals for Jeeps there for a nominal price, and Bishko Autobooks does legal/licensed reprints of quite a bit (I just scored a service manual for a Dodge M500 motorhome chassis from them - I think it was about forty bucks, for a new reprint.) Bishko sells through eBay and their own website.

The AMC360 was used in the J-Series, SJ, and some "performance" AMC passenger cars - I think the AMX, Matador, and Javelin all used it.

Also, check my site - in the Tech section, I've been putting up specs gleaned from FSMs I've been collecting, and I probably have specs for the AMC360 in there somewhere. All specifications on my site are taken from factory literature, and I use it for a ready reference myself.

If I have the torque specs, I'm sure I'll be able to dig up torque sequences (important for the cylinder head and intake) with a little lead time. I'm working on a site re-org, and I'll probably put those up as part of it.

Link to my site in sig.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.