manual to automatic - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > manual to automatic

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ Ch

Unread 10-04-2002, 06:41 AM   #1
jeephandyman

manual to automatic

I have a 82'cj7 with 258 6 cyl and t5 trans i want to change to an th400 auto trans what parts will i need from donor jeep to make this go smooth? I know i need the following , but is there anything i'm overlooking? i have trans, trans mount, skid plate, auto column, pedal assembly,linkage and brackets. Also i have 33" tires with 373 gears and needless to say it s not i good combo i want to change gears and install lockers what would be my best choice i dont off road much but i love the snow

jeephandyman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-04-2002, 09:46 AM   #2
CSP

Hopefully you have an AMC patteren Turbo 400. A Chevy or any other T400 won't bolt to the AMC block. Adapters can make it possible, but it's unneccesary since AMC T400's are easy to find. CJ's and full size Jeeps which had autos up to 1979 had the T400. If you have the right tranny you're going to need to adapt the tailshaft for the transfer case. The Jeep T400 almost exclusively had the Quadratrac tcase behind it. You definitely don't want to swap your Dana 300 out for the qtrac. Novak can set you up with the right adapter to bolt the 300 up to the 400. www.novak-adapt.com The 400 is quite a bit longer than your T5, so you're probably going to need new driveshafts. Your rear one will be too long and the front will be too short since the transfer case will be closer to the rear axle. Both existing shafts can be retubed or you can buy new ones.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-04-2002, 11:51 AM   #3
jeephandyman

yes I have a AMC 400 and a 300 transfer case about the drive shafts- will the donor jeep drive shafts work for me?
jeephandyman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-04-2002, 12:27 PM   #4
CSP

Maybe, maybe not. The donor Jeep (guessing CJ7 with Qtrac) has a different length transfer case than your 300. The difference may be small enough to reuse them. The only way to find out is to try them once the swap is done. Even if they don't you really have to have everything in place to get an idea what the driveshaft lengths will need to be. You can't guess or estimate it with a tape measure.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.