Manifold vacuum from BBD? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Manifold vacuum from BBD?

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 05-15-2013, 04:08 PM   #1
Bubba Ray
1984 CJ7 

Manifold vacuum from BBD?

I would like to try using manifold vacuum for the dizzy. I cannot find info about a manifold vacuum port on my non-stepped BBD. I have searched and do not see what port to use. Thanks for any help.

Bubba Ray is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-15-2013, 04:23 PM   #2
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Any port below the throttle plate on the carb is manifold. If it's got full vacuum at idle it's manifold.

Also, it doesn't have to come from the carb. Any port on the intake manifold will work.

Good luck,

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-15-2013, 04:24 PM   #3
Balvar24
1979 CJ7 

Have you looked on the manifold?
Unread 05-16-2013, 07:41 PM   #4
Bubba Ray
1984 CJ7 

No. I was thinking that it had to come from carb. I guess the clue was manifold vacuum. Will play with it this weekend.
Unread 05-16-2013, 07:51 PM   #5
83vert
1982 CJ7 

Pick up a vac guage, then do a search on how to use it. You will be amazed on what you can find out about your engine.
Unread 05-17-2013, 02:51 AM   #6
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

All 3 ports on this BBD are manifold vacuum.

One is used for the choke pull down.
One for the is for the PCV valve ,
One is used for a vacuum leak to cause the owner considerable problems and headache.
See the clever cracked rubber cap that is only visible from the bottom.

John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-17-2013, 06:53 AM   #7
thompsoj22
1984 CJ7 

why so much advance?

i have watched a few threads and most of you all say manifold vac to give full vac advance effect at idle is what you want. mine is ported and other than a lower idle setting i cant tell any difference. i think i read matt said lower cylinder temps and just plain better for the engine. can you guys explain just one more time?
thompsoj22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-19-2013, 08:31 PM   #8
Bubba Ray
1984 CJ7 

I thought that manifold vacuum came from below the throttle plates. The ports shown by John look to be above the plates or am I looking at this wrong?
Unread 05-19-2013, 09:48 PM   #9
fourbtgait
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thompsoj22
i have watched a few threads and most of you all say manifold vac to give full vac advance effect at idle is what you want. mine is ported and other than a lower idle setting i cant tell any difference. i think i read matt said lower cylinder temps and just plain better for the engine. can you guys explain just one more time?
The three John shows do produce manifold vacumn.

I noticed when plotting my curve that the ported vacumn on my BBD did not produce any vacumn until the engine rpm's were at 1,700 or such. Meaning that from 650 rpm to 1,700 rpm, the dizzy was only operating on centrifigal advance. I questioned this and Shawn said he had seen/heard the same thing on a BBD.

I have it running on manifold vacumn for the past 6 months or so, notice it runs easier, picks up speed better. Lightening difference? No. But noticable.

Russell

Sent from my iPad using JeepForum
T-5
fourbtgait is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2013, 05:05 AM   #10
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Ray View Post
I thought that manifold vacuum came from below the throttle plates. The ports shown by John look to be above the plates or am I looking at this wrong?
Yes, they are below the throttle plate but not directly below or in the main bore. Kinda like a tributary off the manifold.
Unread 05-20-2013, 08:59 AM   #11
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thompsoj22 View Post
The first thing to remember is the ONLY difference between manifold and ported vac is at idle. Otherwise, both vac sources operate exactly the same.

The second thing to remember is a lean air/fuel mixture takes longer to burn than a rich one. I'll get back to that....

Don't confuse centrifugal advance and vacuum advance. They perform different functions. Centrifugal advance is a function of engine RPMs. As the compression stroke speeds up with higher RPMs, the centrifugal advance speeds up the timing of the spark, so that peak cylinder pressure remains just after TDC. Therefore, centrifugal advance has a direct affect on power and performance under load.

Vacuum advance, on the other hand, doesn't affect the power curve, at all. It is a function of engine vacuum pressure. When your engine is idling, or you are cruising with low load, vacuum pressure is high resulting in lean A/F mixtures. Since a lean mixture takes longer to burn, the vac advance speeds up the timing of the spark for a more complete burn under high vac pressure situations.

Here's where the major difference is. Manifold vac is present at idle, ported isn't. Ported vac advance retards timing at idle, which creates an incomplete burn in the combustion chamber. This does reduce NOX emissions, but it also significantly increases exhaust temps, which in-turn increases coolant and overall engine temps. With increased exhaust temps, engineers found they could inject fresh air (AIR pump) into the exhaust stream and increase the after-burn of hydrocarbons in the exhaust.

So, ported vac advance does reduce emissions, but it's at the expense of idle performance and efficiency. It takes away advance when your engine needs it most....under the high vacuum, lean mixture situation at idle. It increases engine temps, reduces fuel efficiency, and makes a weaker less stable idle.

You don't have to take my word for any of this. I, too, was skeptical until I started experimenting and recording my own results. Once I had a clear understanding of spark timing, the choice between manifold and ported was easy.

Good luck,

Matt
Unread 05-20-2013, 10:28 AM   #12
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Well the vacuum is not exactly the same above idle. I hooked up several vacuum gauges up to my ported and manifold vacuum at the same time and they were all over the place. I'll look to see if I could find the video I took

I could get higher vacuum on some ported ports at speed than I could get out of the manifold vacuum at any time. This is because were the ported vacuum is located in the air flow.
There were differences between manifold ports on the carb and on the intake, I think size and location, location, location makes all the difference here.
Ported ports on carbs like the YF which has 2 ported vacuum ports also vary in pressure. You would go crazy tying to map them all out.

but all ported vacuum had NO vacuum at idle. It doesn't exactly retard the timing any, unless you were running a ford pinto distributor, but doesn't advance the timing any.

This is most noticeable with the popping exhaust sound you hear when you let off the gas at speed. Lean mixture, no advance, unburnt fuel building up in exhaust....
Unread 05-20-2013, 04:55 PM   #13
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

John,

I'd love to see that video.

When I hooked up gauges to both manifold and ported (both ports were located on the carb, with similar sized nipples) they acted identical in all driving situations, except at idle. I suppose different port locations and nipple sizes may produce slightly different results. But, in general, I found the two vac sources operate the same, except for at idle.

It should also be noted that post-1982 Jeep distributers were setup to run on manifold vac, only.

Matt
Unread 05-21-2013, 03:04 AM   #14
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

dont know it this will work...
Unread 05-21-2013, 05:13 AM   #15
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

John,

Thanks for digging that up. I'm assuming the gauge on the left was ported?

I don't recall mine having the wild swings to zero when I shifted, but otherwise you got similar results as I did.

Here's an article that supports my findings. The author hooked up MAP sensors to both vacuum sources and a throttle position sensor to a data logger. As you can see, the vacuum curves followed the same path in relationship to throttle position at all times except under little to no throttle.

Matt
vacuum_chart.jpg  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.