manifold bolts - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > manifold bolts

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineToxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake LineCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 01-26-2010, 12:48 PM   #1
Nelson
2003 TJ Wrangler 

manifold bolts

Looking for some 258 manifold bolts. They seem to be a hard thing to find. Can anyone direct me to something new or used?

Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2010, 02:53 PM   #2
trailhead2004
1980 CJ7 

Just go to your local hardware store and buy the correct length you need. I did mine a few months ago when installing the Howell TBI so I know you can do it. I just forgot what diameter they are, 3/8 I think.

The length will depend a lot on your setup. Are you running the original manifolds? Do you have a header instead? What brand?

Just do yourself a favor and buy at least Grade 5 bolts if not Grade 8.

trailhead
Unread 01-26-2010, 03:00 PM   #3
Nelson
2003 TJ Wrangler 

manifold boltd

Gonna run headers and maybe Clifford manifold. Would I use wahers on the bolts to hold both the intake and exhaust on? I know leakage is a problem sometimes and I would want to get a good seal.
Unread 01-26-2010, 03:15 PM   #4
alex211
1995 XJ Cherokee 

The headers should come with the bolts.
Unread 01-26-2010, 03:22 PM   #5
Fjguercio
Web Wheeler
1978 CJ7 

hu.... my headers did not come with bolts. Lucky you. I had a borla header and no bolts
I had cast iron manifolds to replace and needed bolts too. I got the washers/bolts for a junkyard manifold I took off AMCCar

Use grade 8 quality ones with rolled threads if you can find them.

The water jacket and headers use a 1/2" flange pretty common. The old cast iron manifolds are the tricky ones. Heavy thick washers will be needed, ck with auto store after you know if 3/8 or 7/17" and can ask them if they have manifold washers. There is a heat cycle issue and the domed washers help keep things tight as they expand/contract.

Bolts easy grade 8
Washers a bit more tricky and would call around if no one here comes up with better supply
Fjguercio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2010, 03:23 PM   #6
trailhead2004
1980 CJ7 

I'm running a stock 1988 aluminum intake with Pacesetter headers. The way that setup worked out I ended up having to make some "half-washers". They weren't exactly half a washer, more like 2/3. This allowed me to make up the approximately 1/16 inch difference between the header flange thickness and the manifold flange thickness.

Basically, I took a die grinder with a cutoff wheel mounted and cut the washer so I barely intersected the hole. It was a little bit of a trick clocking the washers during the install, but it's not like I take the manifold off every day so I just dealt with it.

If you look carefully, on the back side of the front header tube you can see the extra washer under the bolt. You will also notice that the intake flange is a little thicker than the header flange. I've been driving it like this for a few months now and really seems to be holding up so I think it is a permanent solution.

If you want a closer look, PM me and I can email you the full size shot tomorrow. I'm just about ready to leave work but I'll throw it on the USB drive tonight for you anyway.

trailhead
img_0736-sm.jpg  
Unread 01-26-2010, 03:30 PM   #7
Fjguercio
Web Wheeler
1978 CJ7 

Here is a pic of the OEM ones.

Fjguercio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2010, 04:11 PM   #8
ctm
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Hesco has the manifold washers, listed for a 4.0 but the same thing. Also you can order 'Belleville' washers from McMaster Carr.
ctm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2010, 07:15 AM   #9
Nelson
2003 TJ Wrangler 

manifold bolts

I love your motor! I am hopeing mine looks as good. How do you like the origanial intake? I have an original and a Clifford. What are your thoughts? Thanks for the great pictures too.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.