Making a game plan for my CJ5! Wanna help? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Making a game plan for my CJ5! Wanna help?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 10-04-2011, 08:30 AM   #1
codyhill1990

1979 CJ5 

Making a game plan for my CJ5! Wanna help?

Okay so I finally found a job again after being lay off for close to 6 months! So now would be my time to start planning my CJ5 build. I have a 1979 CJ5 w/ a AMC 304 V8, T150 3 speed trans, model 20 transfer case, dana 30 front and a amc 20 rear (with 1 piece axle swap). It's a special project to me not only is it my first jeep it is also my grandfathers old jeep that he left to me as he pasted away last April.

I have a good idea of what i want down engine wise. First and foremost, I'M KEEPING THE AMC 304! After reading a ton of threads i have found that i must enforce that i want to keep it. If its a bad block once i get it inspected my only other motor option would be a Ford 351, I'm not a chevy fan plus everyone and there brother does that swap. There is also a bell housing i saw on a thread that will bolt the 351 to my T150.

Here is where i get into the big issues... The tub is beyond crap, the windshield frame is rusted through in more than a few spots and the hood is dented all to hell in places that cant be fixed. So what should i go with when it comes to replacements, Steel or Fiberglass? My ideas for this jeep is to be a weekend wheeler but i can still drive through out the week. I also would like to do the U-Pol raptor bed liner as well but how would this hold up on fiberglass if i would go in that direction?

If anyone has any other options for my jeep please let me kno or anything to be watching for to go wrong!

And here it is

mms_picture.jpg   mms_picture.jpg257.jpg   mms_picture.jpg258.jpg   part951304288950889.jpg   jeep-1.jpg  

DANA 30 / AMC Model 20 Front/Rear
codyhill1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2011, 01:58 PM   #2
Chewtoy
1976 CJ5 

Very nice! Do grampa proud and restore it to great running rig and it will be a great legacy to pass on to your grandchild.

Since you are in Indiana and are going to replace the body, I think going fiberglass is a no brainer. You are not doing a lot of rocks so not so worried about body damage and you avoid the salt / rust issue altogether. Most people "bed line" the inside to work around the rust issue but with fiberglass you don't need to. You can, should work just fine, but then it is more of a preference than anything.

Fuel inject the 304. I did it to mine and all I can tell you is WOW what a difference. I went the JY route and it turned out great. Do the JeepHammer ignition + the MSD and you have a winning combination. Open up the exhaust a bit and you will have more than enough power for a CJ5.

Looks like you have some really long shackles up front, I would trade those out for the proper springs for the lift you want.

Beyond that, the rest really depends on the kind of wheeling you do.

Good Luck and welcome to the madness!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.