Make your own soft top hardware? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Make your own soft top hardware?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 01-09-2010, 10:28 PM   #1
ghell718

Make your own soft top hardware?

hey guys it my first post here, i have a 78 cj7, i recently came across a crazy deal on a brand new soft top that someone had in storage but it does not come with the hardware, the hardware i cannot find cheap anywhere and was just wondering has anyone ever made their own hardware and had it work good, let me know please

ghell718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2010, 06:57 AM   #2
mmerlina
Image Glassworks, Inc.

1986 CJ7 

I believe there would be different hardware if it is an oem style soft top or an aftermarket one, such as Bestop.

Which hardware are you missing? I'm sure anything can be fabricated.. it's just weighing money vs time that's all.

1986 Jeep CJ7 (photos)
Remanufactured 258, ARB lockers front & rear, 4.10 Yukon gears, 35x12.5" Super Swamper SSR's, Motorcraft 2100, 4.5" Rubicon Express Extreme-Duty lift, York 210 OBA, Big Daddy steering, Tatton rear CV driveshaft, Herculined interior, TJ flares, lots of body & upholstery work
mmerlina is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2010, 10:22 AM   #3
mnCJ7guy
1980 CJ7 

A couple of years ago, just after I bought my jeep, I bought an OEM softtop from a guy on craigslist, I thought it had all the parts, but all it really had was the hoops, I have found that to buy the parts around the doors (vertical and horizontal parts) are really expensive (like 1/2 the cost of a new top).

I guess a fool and his $$ were parted
1990 YJ Islander
4.2L,Auto
Unread 01-10-2010, 10:38 AM   #4
ghell718

yeah that seems to be the trend, i can get the top for 100 but the hardware is roughly 250 everywhere i have looked, it is a bestop and it is never used so im gonna just buy it and keep checking craigslist and other sources for a used set of hardware
Unread 01-10-2010, 10:41 AM   #5
ghell718

or if anyone has a set of hardware for a reasonable price i will gladly be willing to discuss buying it
Unread 01-11-2010, 06:42 AM   #6
TsCJ779

I have a complete soft top that came off a 79 CJ7. The top has 3 small holes in it just behind the windshield. The hardware is complete except for the brackets for the door rods. I had to shop make the left side. It works, it just looks shop made somewhat. Top is located in Pulaski, TN.
TsCJ779 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.