Major vibration at speed - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Major vibration at speed

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 08-03-2010, 07:45 PM   #1
my old cj

Major vibration at speed

The jeep is is a cj5 [76] when i start out driving its fine but when i get to about 25-30 miles an hr she makes a noise in the front end that is horendous. vibration grrrrr. I do have a bit of play in the front wheels up and down.[drum brakes] But upon further inspection the 1 tie rod end tube is bent. are they suppost to be bent for clearance? or could this be my issue? I was also thinking it could be my carrier bearings. would I hear the bearings at low speeds? If the hubs are in the free mode would that cancel out the noise? I just bought this truck so i;m trying figure this noise out.

my old cj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-03-2010, 08:59 PM   #2
Trapshooter
1986 CJ7 

Vibrations can be one of the most frustrating issues to run down, its really a process of elimination.

What about tire balance? If a balance pad has come loose inside the tire you will play hell to find the problem.

Don't rule out a rear drive line even though the noise and vibration seems to coming from the front.

It could be any number of the things, a loose shock, engine mount, etc. You will just need to start at one end and eliminate each item one at a time.

Good Luck.................
'86 CJ7, 258, Carter BBD, Nutter'ed, TeamRush'ed, T-18, Twin Sticked Dana 300, D30 Frt-Pwr Lok L/S-4.10, AMC 20 Rear-Mosers-Detroit Locker-4.10, 2.5 BDS Lift, 1" Body Lift, 33" Wild Country M/Ts, Black Spoke wheels

'45 CJ2A, L134 Go Devil, T-90 Tranny, Warn O/D, T-18 T-Case, Dana 25 Frt, Dana 41 Rear, 531st CJ made

My 401 build: [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/trapshooters-401-build-1338277/[/url]
Trapshooter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-03-2010, 10:55 PM   #3
cgeorge5150
1975 CJ5 

I had a similar problem in my work truck and it turned out to be a bad U joint and drive shaft... Only difference was mine was more prominent during rapid acceleration. But yes vibrations and grinding noise wil have you chasing many false leads. Look over the Jeep and try to find obvious problems first. I don't like the sound of anything being bent if you didn't do it yourself and know why you did it.
cgeorge5150 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-04-2010, 04:41 AM   #4
my old cj

On the 76 cj are all of the tie rod end tubes sstraight? if the carrier bearings were bad would i hear them at low speeds?
Unread 08-04-2010, 06:43 AM   #5
82JeepCJ7
1982 CJ7 

Yes, the tie rod and drag link should be strait. Replace the bent parts and take it in for a front end alignment. You may want to replace the wheel bearings first to eliminate any slop. That would eliminate any chance of the front end being the culprit. Check all your U-joints and replace as necessary. Also check to make sure the drive lines are phased correctly.
82JeepCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-04-2010, 08:36 AM   #6
cgeorge5150
1975 CJ5 

I have the picture from the 75 Technical Service manual as well but this link shows a straight one as well. I can PM that pic if you need. I have that tech manual in PDF.

http://www.jeep4x4center.com/jeep-st...-scrambler.htm
cgeorge5150 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-04-2010, 10:55 AM   #7
cj7ole
1984 CJ7 

I have been chasing a vibration in mine which starts when I hit a bump. Replaced the tires (due anyway) and the steering damper shock, some improvement but still would vibrate on occasion. I knew I had slop in the power steering gear. All of the tie rod ends had been replaced and the wheel bearings were checked. I even replaced the steering column down to the steering gear. BUT when I replaced the steering gear, it was like driving a new CJ. Steering was tight again. So far the vibration/noise hasn't reappeared. Also less oil on my garage floor.

Cost for a reman power steering gear at NAPA: $180.00. Value: priceless
Unread 08-04-2010, 01:06 PM   #8
my old cj

I looked even closer both ends are bent and the knuckles I am ordering new tie rod end and tubes.
Unread 08-04-2010, 01:11 PM   #9
IDK

This may sound really dumb but if you have a 258 check the water pump, mine used to vibrate at speed and I finally traced it back to a worn out water pump. With Jeeps there could be thousands of vibrations and only one of them could be a problem.
Unread 08-04-2010, 01:13 PM   #10
my old cj

Its a 304
Unread 08-04-2010, 07:14 PM   #11
IDK

Still you might check it.
Unread 08-04-2010, 07:21 PM   #12
yahwhy
1982 CJ7 

what u mean by carrier bearings? these are on long trucks,not jeeps.
yahwhy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-04-2010, 07:31 PM   #13
my old cj

Differential bearings, hows that?
Unread 08-04-2010, 08:36 PM   #14
Matt_G
1979 CJ5 

it's a jeep....?
Unread 09-04-2012, 06:04 PM   #15
mastercraftka
Web Wheeler

1984 CJ7 

ever figure it out?
mastercraftka is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
steering , steering vibration , ujoint , vibration , wheel bearings

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.