JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Jeep CJ Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/)
-   -   Major vibration at speed (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/major-vibration-speed-1082305/)

my old cj 08-03-2010 07:45 PM

Major vibration at speed

The jeep is is a cj5 [76] when i start out driving its fine but when i get to about 25-30 miles an hr she makes a noise in the front end that is horendous. vibration grrrrr. I do have a bit of play in the front wheels up and down.[drum brakes] But upon further inspection the 1 tie rod end tube is bent. are they suppost to be bent for clearance? or could this be my issue? I was also thinking it could be my carrier bearings. would I hear the bearings at low speeds? If the hubs are in the free mode would that cancel out the noise? I just bought this truck so i;m trying figure this noise out.

Trapshooter 08-03-2010 08:59 PM

Vibrations can be one of the most frustrating issues to run down, its really a process of elimination.

What about tire balance? If a balance pad has come loose inside the tire you will play hell to find the problem.

Don't rule out a rear drive line even though the noise and vibration seems to coming from the front.

It could be any number of the things, a loose shock, engine mount, etc. You will just need to start at one end and eliminate each item one at a time.

Good Luck.................

cgeorge5150 08-03-2010 10:55 PM

I had a similar problem in my work truck and it turned out to be a bad U joint and drive shaft... Only difference was mine was more prominent during rapid acceleration. But yes vibrations and grinding noise wil have you chasing many false leads. Look over the Jeep and try to find obvious problems first. I don't like the sound of anything being bent if you didn't do it yourself and know why you did it.

my old cj 08-04-2010 04:41 AM

On the 76 cj are all of the tie rod end tubes sstraight? if the carrier bearings were bad would i hear them at low speeds?

82JeepCJ7 08-04-2010 06:43 AM

Yes, the tie rod and drag link should be strait. Replace the bent parts and take it in for a front end alignment. You may want to replace the wheel bearings first to eliminate any slop. That would eliminate any chance of the front end being the culprit. Check all your U-joints and replace as necessary. Also check to make sure the drive lines are phased correctly.

cgeorge5150 08-04-2010 08:36 AM

I have the picture from the 75 Technical Service manual as well but this link shows a straight one as well. I can PM that pic if you need. I have that tech manual in PDF.

http://www.jeep4x4center.com/jeep-st...-scrambler.htm

cj7ole 08-04-2010 10:55 AM

I have been chasing a vibration in mine which starts when I hit a bump. Replaced the tires (due anyway) and the steering damper shock, some improvement but still would vibrate on occasion. I knew I had slop in the power steering gear. All of the tie rod ends had been replaced and the wheel bearings were checked. I even replaced the steering column down to the steering gear. BUT when I replaced the steering gear, it was like driving a new CJ. Steering was tight again. So far the vibration/noise hasn't reappeared. Also less oil on my garage floor.

Cost for a reman power steering gear at NAPA: $180.00. Value: priceless

my old cj 08-04-2010 01:06 PM

I looked even closer both ends are bent and the knuckles I am ordering new tie rod end and tubes.

IDK 08-04-2010 01:11 PM

This may sound really dumb but if you have a 258 check the water pump, mine used to vibrate at speed and I finally traced it back to a worn out water pump. With Jeeps there could be thousands of vibrations and only one of them could be a problem.

my old cj 08-04-2010 01:13 PM

Its a 304

IDK 08-04-2010 07:14 PM

Still you might check it.

yahwhy 08-04-2010 07:21 PM

what u mean by carrier bearings? these are on long trucks,not jeeps.

my old cj 08-04-2010 07:31 PM

Differential bearings, hows that?

Matt_G 08-04-2010 08:36 PM

it's a jeep....?

mastercraftka 09-04-2012 06:04 PM

ever figure it out?

The time now is 08:10 AM.