Mail Jeep conversion - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Mail Jeep conversion

Advance Adapters SYE KitsOconee Off-Road Jeep Night!SYE Kits from CCOR! 706-207-4140

Unread 05-02-2014, 03:22 PM   #1
Starfighter

Mail Jeep conversion

Hello everybody! I'm new here, so it may not be the right place for this, if so please correct me.

So, my grandpa has a 1975 DJ-5. It's a former mail jeep that he drove for years until they switched out to the LLV. He now wants to give it to me. I love cars, so I can't say no.

It needs some minor work to get it looking nice again, but it needs an engine. He sold it off a few years back. But it still has the tranny and everything else. He wants to see it running again, and so do I. While sitting around thinking about it, I got an idea.

I'm thinking I can remove the body and drop the body onto a cj body so I get the 4x4 and hopefully all around disks. Not only that, but since it needs a new engine, I thought about doing a diesel swap, or (I know it's dumb) make it like the DJ-5E, but probably the diesel swap.

Money isn't too big of an issue right now, I just sold one of my old cars for a good amount of cash. I just want to hear about what others think.

I don't know a whole lot about the specifics of jeeps, but I do know a lot about cars in general. I work with old airplane engines, so engines don't phase me. 4x4 systems do.

Thanks!

Starfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2014, 03:53 PM   #2
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

No cj had disk in the rear. No yj did. Tj did it was a option. i would think that a good Cj would be hard to find that is not going to cost more than what you end up with is worth. I mean Cj's is like a Picasso, it would be sacrosanct to molest one by most. One that is body rusted out , the frame would be too. Since that is what kills most in the end, all jeeps for that matter. Note sure how hard it would be to just add a front axle and Tbox? As long as you can do the work i would go that way. No idea on the Dj wheel base mounting points etc. compared to a Cj.

But i would vote covert what you have. Axles Tbox needs a motor anyway. 4.0 or Sb.
Unread 05-02-2014, 04:30 PM   #3
strvger01
1966 CJ5 

ACME makes a VW diesel swap kit for Suzuki's. you might be able to adapt that kit to get a diesel in your dj. probably just use a suzuki tranny and tc with the vw diesel, motor mounts, and see how it goes.
just a thought.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.