MADE IN USA Bikini tops windshield retainer poll - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > MADE IN USA Bikini tops windshield retainer poll

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Stainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

View Poll Results: windshield retainer stye
A 8 88.89%
B 0 0%
C 0 0%
something else 1 11.11%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Unread 09-06-2014, 12:16 PM   #1
chris989604
1980 CJ7 

MADE IN USA Bikini tops windshield retainer poll

Hello again,

Please take a minute and view these pictures and choose a style. I personally like the (A) retainer but maybe i am missing something. To me it appears the change was to save money on the extruded plastic and ease of assembly. I could be wrong.

The A style does show a raw edge which i would eliminate by sewing in a hem.

In advance,
I want to thank everyone who is participating in my threads about the tops. This is to find out what the CONSUMER wants not what is just available. When i get this started I want the design to be perfect and of the materials the highest quality.

In this picture we have

A- my old soft top with the a 1/8 plastic tapered retainer and the fabric stitched so it is already pointing towards the rear of the jeep and the outboard edges are trimmed and rounded. I find style is easier to fit in the track and a cleaner look.

B- this is a pre chinese safari best top. This retainer is .060 (1/16th) and the fabric os wrapped around it and stitched. They do this to make up the thickness of the plastic. I think it looks lazy.

C- WTF, this chinese POS is the .060 plastic wrapped, stitched and then cut an inch from the end. When i try to install it I can not get the ends to fit in the trac because of the binding and I end up leaving the last inch flapping in the wind. If i am missing something about this top, someone please provide the answer. Does it fit the newer jeeps? I confess, I have never owned a Jeep that was not AMC.

TOP A

TOP B

TOP C

chris989604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2014, 12:27 PM   #2
chris989604
1980 CJ7 

color choice poll

Please take a minute and read this other thread, If interested choose a color. I am looking for feedback.

THanks

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ma.../#post25369242
Unread 09-06-2014, 12:52 PM   #3
RenoF250
1985 CJ7 

It is hard to tell from those photos. I only have a newer BestTop and it works fine for me although it did start to come out once.

Most important thing for me would be metal buckles on the rear straps. The plastic one broken and I had to replace it with a metal one I stole from a cargo strap.

Also, I would consider having the main middle strap pull on a straps (two at an angle) that are sewn into the top rather than the loop in the front. It would pull it down and keep it from flapping but it would probably also let water pool up there.
RenoF250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2014, 08:51 AM   #4
chris989604
1980 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenoF250 View Post
It is hard to tell from those photos. I only have a newer BestTop and it works fine for me although it did start to come out once.

Most important thing for me would be metal buckles on the rear straps. The plastic one broken and I had to replace it with a metal one I stole from a cargo strap.

Also, I would consider having the main middle strap pull on a straps (two at an angle) that are sewn into the top rather than the loop in the front. It would pull it down and keep it from flapping but it would probably also let water pool up there.
I am not sure what you are taking about. If you want to sketch an idea that would be great.

Chris
Unread 09-07-2014, 09:16 AM   #5
FLynes
Web Wheeler

1976 CJ5 

"A"....no brainer. Snaps are a must, one on each side, to keep everything in place.

High Plains Drifter
1976 CJ-5
Lime Green
Black Wellington Vinyl Bench Seats
258 I-6 1bbl
T-150 3-Speed
3.54:1 Open Gears

Grammar Test
FLynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2014, 12:05 PM   #6
RenoF250
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris989604 View Post
I am not sure what you are taking about. If you want to sketch an idea that would be great.

Chris
Strap where the blue tape are rather than the one down the middle. It would require some experimentation but I think it would reduce flapping.

If you do the strap down the middle like BestTop, at least put the buckle back far enough I can tighten it all the way. With mine the buckle is pulled all the way to the windshield.
cimg5603-large-.jpg  
RenoF250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Today, 10:09 AM   #7
chris989604
1980 CJ7 

possible leather option

I am not having a lot of success on the extruded plastic that is leading in this poll.

I considered this leather option originally but shyed away from it due to cost.

Any comments about the leather possibility? It is snug in the track and does not fall out on its own which is nice.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.