...made it die electronically. Need some help. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > ...made it die electronically. Need some help.

Gear Packages Available! Your # 1 Diff Shop is ROCKRIDGE 4ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 12-28-2013, 04:09 PM   #1
mb_24
1985 CJ7 

...made it die electronically. Need some help.

Reconditioning my 85 CJ7 that I just bought a month ago. Ton of grease on the engine from a valve cover leak. Took it to the self service car wash with my Simple Green and Gunk and cleaned off the block, oil pan, skid plates and transfer case. Tried my best to keep the water spray away from the distributor and wires.

Drove it home and let it run 15 mins to dry. Went to move it. It stalled and went black. Nothing. No gauges. No lights. No nothing.

Haven't had a chance to check the battery connections yet. But is there something else that could cause it to go dark? My son noticed the oil pressure gauge was bouncing while it idled after the wash. Didn't know if that was a prediction or unrelated.

Thoughts?

mb_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2013, 12:56 AM   #2
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Well you did drive it for 15 min so it sounds as if you were careful enough.

No power to anything or just no start?
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2013, 04:09 AM   #3
dg6772
1986 CJ7 

Sounds like a broken wire or fuseable link....

Dave in Muskegon
dg6772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2013, 01:26 PM   #4
mb_24
1985 CJ7 

Broken wire....winner winner.

Ground wire to block was corroded. I must have upset it enough with the wash so that when I hit a bump at my house, it knocked it loose. As soon as I wiggled...lights camera, action. Also solved my starter dragging/clicking with that.

I hope they all go that easy...and I know they won't.

Thx
mb_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2013, 04:03 PM   #5
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

And people wonder why I preach 'DEDICATED GROUNDS!'...
JeepHammer is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.