Slow couple of weeks. I managed to get the L Head pulled from the donor jeep and shipped to my new found jeeping buddy in Texas. Very glad that it can go to use instead of being junked. I picked up a double flare tool and a tubing bender from Harbor Freight for a couple dollars in preperation for brake and fuel line bending. I'm finishing up the last couple steps on rebuilding the T90 as I managed to trade for an oil collector (man are these impossible to find!). After many hours of pushing, pulling, prying, and generally cursing the flat snap rings on the T90, I finally bought a set of compound snap ring pliers (who knew they actually make a tool for this?) And am waiting impatiently for them to come in the mail. Besides, who doesn't need another tool especiall with a good excuse! I'll hopefully have some pictures up shortly of the finished transmission.
Spent a little time out in the shop today trying to button up this T90 tranny. I think I finally have it knocked out with the exception of the shifter. My only concern is that the rear bearing between the main shaft and the transfer case does not seem to seat properly in the housing. It sits tightly on the shaft although it just doesn't seem right...
A couple of new pictures
Front main shaft installed. Note oil collector to the left barely visible. Collector rests on the bottom of the case until shafts are installed.
Mechanics wire holds shafts in place until the rear bearing and plate are installed.
Replacing dummy shaft with the real deal.
Completed transmission ready for the top half to be installed. Wire still holds the shafts in place until mating with the transfer case is complete.
After reassembling the transmission, I put the tower on for a test fit and it seems to shift properly through second and third although wont go left and shift through 1st and reverse. I'm wondering if this is because its not bolted to the transfer case yet and I have too much play in the shafts perhaps? Any help would be great. I would hate to put this back together and install with it being assembled wrong.
I had some free time to mess with the transmission today and I noticed that when I put the shift tower on that the bolt holes don't align with the case. I started to poke around a little bit more and found that the clutch sleeve was sitting too far forwards on the hub. I decided to bite the bullet and tear the case back down (dropping half of the needle bearings from the input shaft into the bottom of the case )
Come to find out, the 2nd and 3rd gear synchronizer ring has a groove cut in the inside which holds the plates in place. The plates were not sitting in the groove, which boogered the whole job. I still think its amazing how such a little piece can cause the entire transmission not to shift.
The pulley on the back of the t/case was used on the radio jeeps(GPWs and MBs) in WW2. It pulled a generator, also may have been used in post war applications, welders, air compressors. The rear end looks to be a full floater also used in the WW2 jeeps, these two items are worth a few bucks so don't junk them. Go to the G503 web site if you want to sell them. My friend got the engine, glad it worked out.
Say what you think because those that matter don't mind and thoes that mind don't matter.