M38A1 Build Thread - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > M38A1 Build Thread

Great prices on seating!--Oconee Off-RoadTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGTJ, YJ & LJ Drop Down Tail Gate Conversion Kit

Unread 04-23-2011, 04:18 PM   #76
sparkey
1983 CJ5 

M38a1

PM sent about engine.

Unread 04-24-2011, 07:35 PM   #77
AbsolutXJ
1953 M-38 

Thats what im thinking. Next time im out there working on it i'll try the bigger needle bearing. They probably got swPped around on the work bench during disassembly.
Unread 05-22-2011, 05:14 PM   #78
AbsolutXJ
1953 M-38 

Slow couple of weeks. I managed to get the L Head pulled from the donor jeep and shipped to my new found jeeping buddy in Texas. Very glad that it can go to use instead of being junked. I picked up a double flare tool and a tubing bender from Harbor Freight for a couple dollars in preperation for brake and fuel line bending. I'm finishing up the last couple steps on rebuilding the T90 as I managed to trade for an oil collector (man are these impossible to find!). After many hours of pushing, pulling, prying, and generally cursing the flat snap rings on the T90, I finally bought a set of compound snap ring pliers (who knew they actually make a tool for this?) And am waiting impatiently for them to come in the mail. Besides, who doesn't need another tool especiall with a good excuse! I'll hopefully have some pictures up shortly of the finished transmission.
Unread 05-22-2011, 08:47 PM   #79
contdevelop
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Good luck with the build. Its always great to see a classic brought back to life!
contdevelop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2011, 05:14 PM   #80
AbsolutXJ
1953 M-38 

Spent a little time out in the shop today trying to button up this T90 tranny. I think I finally have it knocked out with the exception of the shifter. My only concern is that the rear bearing between the main shaft and the transfer case does not seem to seat properly in the housing. It sits tightly on the shaft although it just doesn't seem right...

A couple of new pictures

img_0011.jpg

Front main shaft installed. Note oil collector to the left barely visible. Collector rests on the bottom of the case until shafts are installed.

img_0014.jpg

Mechanics wire holds shafts in place until the rear bearing and plate are installed.

img_0015.jpg

Replacing dummy shaft with the real deal.

Completed transmission ready for the top half to be installed. Wire still holds the shafts in place until mating with the transfer case is complete.
img_0016.jpg  
Unread 07-07-2011, 06:39 PM   #81
ChicoXJ
1986 XJ Cherokee 

It does look like it hangs out the housing a little too far. But if you look at where the main shaft goes into the input, if the synchro looks like it is spaced right then it is.
ChicoXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2011, 06:51 PM   #82
AbsolutXJ
1953 M-38 

From what I can tell looking at the rebuild guide, it looks like the syncro is positioned right. We'll see what happens once I mate it with the transfer case. I should know more tomorrow perhaps.
Unread 07-08-2011, 07:13 PM   #83
AbsolutXJ
1953 M-38 

After reassembling the transmission, I put the tower on for a test fit and it seems to shift properly through second and third although wont go left and shift through 1st and reverse. I'm wondering if this is because its not bolted to the transfer case yet and I have too much play in the shafts perhaps? Any help would be great. I would hate to put this back together and install with it being assembled wrong.
Unread 07-08-2011, 10:28 PM   #84
ChicoXJ
1986 XJ Cherokee 

You don't have the top cover on right. You missed the slider for 1st and reverse and it is out of alignment. Pull it off and redo it and you will be fine.
Unread 07-09-2011, 02:29 AM   #85
GAT72991
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Nice work so far man; awesome build thread! looking forward to the engine teardown/rebuild
GAT72991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2011, 03:26 PM   #86
AbsolutXJ
1953 M-38 

Update to the shifting problem

I had some free time to mess with the transmission today and I noticed that when I put the shift tower on that the bolt holes don't align with the case. I started to poke around a little bit more and found that the clutch sleeve was sitting too far forwards on the hub. I decided to bite the bullet and tear the case back down (dropping half of the needle bearings from the input shaft into the bottom of the case )

img_0060.jpg

Come to find out, the 2nd and 3rd gear synchronizer ring has a groove cut in the inside which holds the plates in place. The plates were not sitting in the groove, which boogered the whole job. I still think its amazing how such a little piece can cause the entire transmission not to shift.

img_0062.jpg

Finished product
Unread 07-13-2011, 05:05 PM   #87
ChicoXJ
1986 XJ Cherokee 

that red sill make you go faster.

Good job
Unread 07-13-2011, 05:08 PM   #88
AbsolutXJ
1953 M-38 

My thoughts exactly lol. The tcase is red as well. I figure it would contrast with the black frame.
Unread 07-13-2011, 05:22 PM   #89
diddy2003
1984 CJ7 

Great job man!! I love the look of those Jeeps. I can't wait to see the final product!!
diddy2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2011, 07:17 PM   #90
sparkey
1983 CJ5 

m38-A1

The pulley on the back of the t/case was used on the radio jeeps(GPWs and MBs) in WW2. It pulled a generator, also may have been used in post war applications, welders, air compressors. The rear end looks to be a full floater also used in the WW2 jeeps, these two items are worth a few bucks so don't junk them. Go to the G503 web site if you want to sell them. My friend got the engine, glad it worked out.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.