M38A1 Build Thread - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > M38A1 Build Thread

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 01-12-2011, 09:53 PM   #61
ChicoXJ
1986 XJ Cherokee 

I like those old M38A1s. A couple of things first. There are two great sources of parts for you. The first is Mac's Jeep Parts in Peoria, OR. He has his own wrecking yard and has about 7,000 sq ft of old Jeep parts in storage. The other is Surplus City in Oroville, CA. They will sew you up new tops out of canvas off original military blue prints. Another thing, if you get into that old motor, do yourself a favor and balance it. You will love it. It will run all day at 4K and run smooth. The waterproof ignition system is very cool if you can find the parts, but it has to be 24V Mac may have a gas tank for you. I got one from him once.

ChicoXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-13-2011, 08:37 AM   #62
aero mech
1980 CJ7 

Nice build, If you need any more parts you can contact John at Krage Moter Sports www.jeepdoc.com he has alot of older stuff. Also you might check some aviation related vendors. Alot of aircraft use 24 volts lights and they may actually be cheaper. Aircraft Spruce, API, Aviall are some. jc
80 CJ-7 Straight six,comp cam,4.0 head, cherokee header, DUI distributor, Affordable FI TBI ,4.10's wide track amc 20 aussie locked and trussed, Dana 30 aussie locked, PSC steering box, 4.5 RE lift, twin sticked dana 300 with Lo max 4to1 35"STT'S ON DC-1 "It's getting there"
aero mech is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-14-2011, 02:01 AM   #63
JEEP_Nut1218
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Looks like you have a lot of work ahead of you, nice progress so far though. I hope this can serve as some motivation to finish it..

My step dad's '53 M38A1:

JEEP_Nut1218 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-14-2011, 08:15 PM   #64
AbsolutXJ
1953 M-38 

Thats a sweet ride Jeep Nut. I can't wait to have mine on the road but I think it's going to be a while. In the meantime...I'm thinking of picking up a small parts washer to use around the shop. Something similar to the cheap ones at Tractor Supply, Northern, etc.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/tools/p...0-gal--3893999

A couple questions though...

What kind of fluid is best to use and how do I dispose of it correctly and inexpensively?
How long is this thing going to last? I know its cheap but I'm looking at a couple uses a month if that.

Thanks for any experience or input as usual.
Unread 01-14-2011, 09:04 PM   #65
ChicoXJ
1986 XJ Cherokee 

Those will last quite awhile. As for fluid, you can use solvent, kerosene, diesel or some of the fancier ones. As for disposal, I don't know about Virginia, be in CA we have hazardous material disposal sites that take it free.
Unread 01-17-2011, 06:42 AM   #66
AbsolutXJ
1953 M-38 

As a purchase of purely opportunity, I picked up a hard top and set of doors in awesome condition for $250.00. All glass is intake and there is very little rust on any of the pieces.

dscn5286.jpg

dscn5284.jpg

Hopefully this week will bring some free time to get back to wrenching a little...
Unread 01-17-2011, 08:14 AM   #67
AbsolutXJ
1953 M-38 

Since I'm at a standstill for now on the T-90 rebuild (until the UPS man comes), I'm toying with the idea of going ahead and running brake lines. I'm interested to see opinions on bending my own lines or buying the pre-bent set. I feel like I need a little bit of a challenge since the heep has been basically put together with off the shelf items.

So...anybody who has bent lines before want to chime in on type of lines, where to buy, etc? I'm certain that this would be a money saver as the pre-bent kit is almost $160.00...ouch
Unread 01-17-2011, 09:57 AM   #68
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Top and doors look great. Good find.

I have never made my own lines, but my neighbor has many times. He says buy the brake line by the roll. Get a flaring tool. Take your time making bends so that you don't kink it. He says it is very easy.

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-17-2011, 10:04 AM   #69
ChicoXJ
1986 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsolutXJ View Post
Since I'm at a standstill for now on the T-90 rebuild (until the UPS man comes), I'm toying with the idea of going ahead and running brake lines. I'm interested to see opinions on bending my own lines or buying the pre-bent set. I feel like I need a little bit of a challenge since the heep has been basically put together with off the shelf items.

So...anybody who has bent lines before want to chime in on type of lines, where to buy, etc? I'm certain that this would be a money saver as the pre-bent kit is almost $160.00...ouch
The lines can be purchased at any auto parts stores and come in various lengths up to 3 feet. At least that is as long as they are on the rack. They always have flares and fittings on the end. The first thing you will need is a double flare tool. A single flare will not work because it will crack and split. They are easy to use, once you have done it you won't have any trouble. There are several types of benders. The one I have used the most is a simple one that has a round mandrel in various sizes and a simple handle on it. I stick that in the vise so it is stationary and then just bend away. I have made many brake and hydraulic clutch lines with it.
Unread 01-17-2011, 10:13 AM   #70
AbsolutXJ
1953 M-38 

I think thats the route I may go. It doesn't seem that hard and I have the old steel lines to use as a model.
Unread 04-12-2011, 05:41 AM   #71
AbsolutXJ
1953 M-38 

As an update, i've been haggling with the Virginia DMV to get this jeep titled with limited success. Meanwhile, i decided to go ahead and move the parts jeep from my friends house and begin tearing it down. The body is trash so the plan is to pull the internals and parts that are still useful and junk the rest. On the bright side, i did find out that my parts jeep was equipped with what i believe is called a Spicer 18W transfer case which has a PTO equipped idler pulley which was used to power an onboard generator.
image-1625357630.jpg   image-1256612661.jpg   image-3000439754.jpg   image-1970493206.jpg  
Unread 04-12-2011, 07:56 AM   #72
chevyk30
1973 CJ5 

I like the floor on that one!!
Brake lines are easy to make, just don't kink them and use a double flaring tool.
Good luck with the build! I'll be watching this one.
Unread 04-12-2011, 09:42 AM   #73
ChicoXJ
1986 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsolutXJ View Post
As an update, i've been haggling with the Virginia DMV to get this jeep titled with limited success. Meanwhile, i decided to go ahead and move the parts jeep from my friends house and begin tearing it down. The body is trash so the plan is to pull the internals and parts that are still useful and junk the rest. On the bright side, i did find out that my parts jeep was equipped with what i believe is called a Spicer 18W transfer case which has a PTO equipped idler pulley which was used to power an onboard generator.
The PTO is cool. Those were used on early jeeps to turn Jeeps into farm machinery. You will probably find it has the standard PTO splines on the pulley and can be hooked up to almost anything, such as a PTO winch.
Unread 04-23-2011, 08:25 AM   #74
AbsolutXJ
1953 M-38 

A little update...I hit a snag on the T90 transmission build. I'm following a rebuild guide and according to that, I rebuild the main drive gear with 14 roller bearings. When the roller bearings are installed, they only fill up half of the race. Looking for any thoughts from expert (or novice) T90 rebuilders. I'm going to give this a shot over on willysmjeeps.com also.
main-drive-gear.jpg

main-drive-gear-bearings.jpg

rebuild-guide.jpg
Unread 04-23-2011, 02:58 PM   #75
ChicoXJ
1986 XJ Cherokee 

I have been into some T90s many years ago. Those roller bearings don't look big enough. They are usually larger. Your main shaft would rattle around for sure even if you had enough bearings in.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.