M38A1 Build Thread - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > M38A1 Build Thread

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 08-09-2009, 09:01 PM   #46
AbsolutXJ
1953 M-38 

Update

Tonight the jeep finally rolled out from underneath the shop overhang and got parked in the yard. I finally have managed to bolt up the springs, axles, steering gear, hubs and drums, and mount the tires.

Flat head screws had to be drilled out in order to mount the hubs to the new drums. Everything came apart relatively easy. A couple taps on the back side of the old drums and the hubs popped right out.

drill-press.jpg

dsc01660.jpg

Hubs mounted up

dsc01663.jpg

This is the last picture of the evening. Got too dark to take pictures of the rolling chasis. I'll have some up on Tuesday when I have a day off

dsc01664.jpg

The drums came from Kaiser Willys. I've been fairly happy with the stuff I've ordered so far. The springs and shackles didnt mount up as easilty as I would have been led to believe. I think i have a bent mounting bracket which is contributing to the problems.

Plans for the next couple of weeks:

-Finish putting the steering gear back together and rebuild the steering wheel pieces and parts

-Finish tearing down the motor and get it to the machine shop to see what the damage to the cylinder wall is

-Open up the transmission and transfer case and rebuild both

-Reinstall motor, trans, and transfer case

Unread 02-06-2010, 12:32 PM   #47
AbsolutXJ
1953 M-38 

Beat back 18" of snow today and got in the shop. Transmission and all is torn down. Starting to sand, inspect, paint, etc...

img00017-20100206-1336.jpg

img00018-20100206-1337.jpg

img00019-20100206-1337.jpg
Unread 04-05-2010, 11:38 AM   #48
BRad704
Nothing to see here...

1996 XJ Cherokee 

I'm diggin this thread up from 2 months ago out of my curiosity with your project, and that I have my eye on a '53 M38A1 that looks to be in restorable shape. Just trying to convince my wife... $600, and I'll offer $450.
BRad704 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-11-2011, 05:25 PM   #49
AbsolutXJ
1953 M-38 

Digging Into the Transmission

Getting back to this Jeep and Jeepforum after moving houses. I now have a shop where the Jeep can be worked on indoors and everything can be tracked a little bit better.

Couple pictures of the new (to me) shop

063.jpg

061.jpg

I decided to do a complete rebuild of the T90 transmission even though it on has 25k miles on it. This is mainly because the Jeep sat for nearly 10 years without being driven. After pulling everything out of the case, everything looks pretty decent although covered in a nice layer of old grease and crud.

case.jpg

Second Speed Gear was badly pitted with rust. Old on the left with a replacement from Quadratec on the right.

second-speed-gear.jpg
Unread 01-11-2011, 05:35 PM   #50
CACooper
1985 CJ7 

Subscribed!

[QUOTE=Nuthin]...I have tentatively decided I actually enjoy this Cooper-person. Deal with it.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=-Zona-]For some reason I keep underestimating you.[/QUOTE]
CACooper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-11-2011, 05:37 PM   #51
AbsolutXJ
1953 M-38 

All needle bearings and spacer washers were replaced in the countershaft. After reading numerous articles online about loading these bearings, I decided to use a piece of 3/4"x7" wooden dowel rod. By inserting this through the countershaft and coating each needle bearing with a little bit of chassis grease, everything went together perfectly.

Last row of needle bearings loaded

t90-bearings.jpg

Countershaft gear loaded in the bottom of the transmission

countershaft.jpg
Unread 01-11-2011, 10:29 PM   #52
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Congrats on the new house and great shop! That's gotta make you feel very good. Glad I found your thread! Keep up the good work.

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-12-2011, 05:40 AM   #53
AbsolutXJ
1953 M-38 

Hey thanks! Hopefully I'll do a better job at keeping updated from now on. Lots more of this project to come for sure.
Unread 01-12-2011, 06:36 AM   #54
AbsolutXJ
1953 M-38 

Stamps?

Wondering if anyone has any insight into the significance of the numbers stamped into the gasket facing on the top of the T90 transmission housing

castings.jpg

castings2.jpg
Unread 01-12-2011, 11:28 AM   #55
1983 CJ7 

I don't know how I missed this build thread, great job
Unread 01-12-2011, 02:48 PM   #56
yippie21

1979 CJ7 

Secret Code ( that's why it's stamped with an S ) If you had the willy's code book, the numbers would mean something...

PS: Awesome garage there... color me insanely jealous. Great project... good luck!
yippie21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-12-2011, 06:25 PM   #57
AbsolutXJ
1953 M-38 

Haha...I figured it was something like that. Next project...eat my box of cheerios and send off for the secret decoder ring...
Unread 01-12-2011, 06:48 PM   #58
lanecj5
1980 CJ5 

WOW...I am keeping up with this one.Lookin great.
lanecj5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-12-2011, 07:20 PM   #59
AbsolutXJ
1953 M-38 

Sorry for harping on the transmission rebuild so much. This is my first run at digging into a rebuild of this magnitude so I want to make sure I'm running down the right road so to speak.

Whoever invented these snap rings without holes or tabs should have bad things happen to them...after ruining a pair of needle nose pliers on the bench grinder and wasting an hour, I finally managed to muscle the ring onto the end of the main shaft...

snap-ring-1.jpg

snap-ring-final.jpg

Loading the clutch gear proved to be a little bit of a learning curve but was easy once I got the hang of it. Noticed the synchronizer blocks located at 4,7, and 12. The springs located on either side of the gear hold the blocks in place and then the sliding gear is put in place around the clutch gear.

clutch-gear.jpg

Two pictures of the final gear set ready to be loaded into the case. Project for tomorrow night perhaps.

gearset-loaded.jpg

finished-gearset.jpg
Unread 01-12-2011, 07:23 PM   #60
AbsolutXJ
1953 M-38 

Sorry for harping on the transmission rebuild so much. This is my first run at digging into a rebuild of this magnitude so I want to make sure I'm running down the right road so to speak.

Whoever invented these snap rings without holes or tabs should have bad things happen to them...after ruining a pair of needle nose pliers on the bench grinder and wasting an hour, I finally managed to muscle the ring onto the end of the main shaft...

snap-ring-1.jpg

snap-ring-final.jpg

Loading the clutch gear proved to be a little bit of a learning curve but was easy once I got the hang of it. Noticed the synchronizer blocks located at 4,7, and 12. The springs located on either side of the gear hold the blocks in place and then the sliding gear is put in place around the clutch gear.

clutch-gear.jpg

Two pictures of the final gear set ready to be loaded into the case. Project for tomorrow night perhaps.

gearset-loaded.jpg

finished-gearset.jpg

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.