M38A1 Build Thread - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > M38A1 Build Thread

ExtremeTerrain GROUP BUY: Barricade Rear Bumpers/Tire Carr*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*Component speaker deal for your dash - NalinMFG

Unread 02-03-2009, 06:20 PM   #31
HeepToJeep
1982 CJ8 

That's a great looking old Jeep, you couldn't have found one closer to mint to restore....that being said, anything less than an original restoration would really be detrimental to the value of such a rare find. It's pretty easy to find them in lesser condition, which would be much more appropriate for your initial intention...it would be a shame to lose such a nice piece of American history to the "basic flatfender" look. Cherries are rare these days....nine out of ten times you just get the beat up box it came in. lol

Wm

Last edited by HeepToJeep; 02-03-2009 at 06:47 PM..
HeepToJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2009, 12:19 PM   #32
AbsolutXJ
1953 M-38 

Wish I had time to come get the plow...that was a heck of a drive with that jeep coming back in the rain. Always cool to see the looks you get on 95 though towing an old Willys. Thanks again for all your help!
Unread 02-04-2009, 12:47 PM   #33
95GreenWrangler
1995 YJ Wrangler 

No worries I know its a heck of a drive away. Yea he had fun towing that thing around with all the looks, would have love to see the looks if we finally took it offroading like we planned. Do enjoy, I'll be checking to see how it changes. If you do change your mind let me know, I gotta find out I think there was one other small part we also forgot, something with the carb or engine I believe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsolutXJ View Post
Wish I had time to come get the plow...that was a heck of a drive with that jeep coming back in the rain. Always cool to see the looks you get on 95 though towing an old Willys. Thanks again for all your help!
Unread 02-04-2009, 08:14 PM   #34
rustym38a1

1953 M-38 

I paid $500 for my 53 about 15 years ago. All the parts were much cheaper then and did a total restoration back to original issued condition. All the original military parts are still readily available. It just depends on what you want to do with it. I restored mine for about 5 grand. The gun and radio system were extra. It's a big hit at the shows. I then went out and bought a 97 TJ for running on the trails for $3000.
97 Wrangler SE TJ- This is our Trail Jeep. Yukon 4.88's, Powertrax Locker, 32" BFG KM2 tires, XRC/8 winch
53 Willys M38a1- Restored w/50cal Browning M2HB & 53 M100 1/4 ton Trailer fully loaded with gear!
13 Grand Cherokee Laredo WK2- company car
rustym38a1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2009, 08:42 AM   #35
AbsolutXJ
1953 M-38 

Rusty~ Where is the best place to get a 24 volt wiring harness for this thing? I understand they are rather pricey...
Unread 02-06-2009, 02:31 PM   #36
SuB8HaVeN
1986 CJ7 

http://www.willysamerica.com/

May want to try these guys. I'm not 100% sure if they have a 24V but in speaking with them it turns out their wiring harnesses tend to run a lot cheaper than other guys, and their customer service is great. Seems like an old mom and pop operation out in Cali with everything done over the phone. I really like them.
Unread 03-22-2009, 09:08 PM   #37
Joshhamburger
1993 YJ Wrangler 

its been a month any updates?
Joshhamburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2009, 09:17 AM   #38
bfr
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsolutXJ View Post
Rusty~ Where is the best place to get a 24 volt wiring harness for this thing? I understand they are rather pricey...
http://www.midwestmil.com/m38a1.html
Unread 03-23-2009, 06:48 PM   #39
imtheant

Hey great looking build. 2 things...I noticed you used the masterseries silver primer on the frame. I used the same on my rebuild, but I noticed in a later post that you were going to then use POR 15 primer as well?? You know that the PM silver is the only primer you need and can be topcoated with pretty much anything.

Also, I def vote for the grey/black color scheme
Unread 03-23-2009, 08:18 PM   #40
carter262
1982 CJ7 

Sweet project. We have a 53. Dad started the resoration when I was in middle school, about 20 years ago, but stopped for some reason. He was about 80% done when he stopped. Now it will have to be redone again. I plan on doing it some time in the future.
carter262 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2009, 09:10 PM   #41
AbsolutXJ
1953 M-38 

Hey guys...sorry for the month long delay. I was in the process of switching jobs and that plus the weather (12" of snow) slowed progress down a little. My latest project has been the front and rear axles. The rear axle showed zero signs of wear (no metal on the magnet, gears in great shape, only surface rust on the housing) so it got sanded to the metal, primed, and painted gloss black. I'll attack the brakes and lines at a later time.

Sorry for the cell phone pictures...digital has gone missing at some point.

Rear Dana 44

rear-axle.jpg

The front axle appears to be in slightly worse shape so I decided to do a complete rebuild. Since I'm fairly new at axle work I'll be using Moses Ludel's "Jeep CJ Rebuilder's Guide 1946-1971" as a reference. This book provides step by step instructions (with pictures) for rebuilding all of the major components of the CJ series Jeeps.

The exterior showed the normal rust and pitting that is to be expected. Upon pulling the diff. cover, I noticed that it contained a lot of water mixed with the gear oil and the carrier appeared to be rusted. Gears seem to be intact and show hardly any sign of wear. At least thats some good news. Looking for suggestions on the rust issue.

front-axle-bench.jpg

carrier.jpg

carrier-2.jpg

Hopefully I'll be updating more often now that I have some time to dedicate to the project and the weather is cooperating.
Unread 04-03-2009, 05:30 PM   #42
AbsolutXJ
1953 M-38 

Small update today...

Had a lead on a good F head motor with head and exhaust manifold still in place. Went and looked at it and it appears to be exactly what I need. Unfortunately, I had a miscommunication with the owner (who didn't think I was coming by today) and now she's up in arms for me not letting her know I was coming. I think in reality I scared her because she heard voices behind her barn and wasn't sure who was around. She is now unwilling to make any deals on the motor. Lesson learned...always make sure people know you are coming by to look at something. Should have tried harder to contact her first. Small set back but I'm hoping that she'll cool off and we'll be able to work something out. On the bright side, her farm is filled with old military vehicles. I counted three flat fenders, an M38A1 frame and running gear, two power wagons, a duece, and a five ton. Also, numerous military trailers scattered around in the bushes.

Spent today continuing the tear down of the front axle. I have most of the brake and steering knuckle parts sanded, cleaned, and painted. I'm finally starting to see the fruits of my labor. I ordered $105.00 worth of seals, miscellaneous bolts, and axle parts from Kaiserwillys.com this morning. I was very pleased with their selection and ease of shopping on the website. I'm counting on the parts being at the house by the middle of next week which will give me a reassembly date of next weekend hopefully.

BTW, does anyone know of the type of grease that goes back into the bearings etc.? I'm assuming that regular automotive grease will suffice...
Unread 06-16-2009, 04:12 PM   #43
AbsolutXJ
1953 M-38 

So it's been a couple months since I updated my post. I've picked up the frame from the garage and gotten it back to the house. Frame has been painted gloss black. It still has some imperfections but hey, first time rebuilding. I've had to take some time off from working on it for lots of little projects around the house (finally got my patio in front of the shed concreted, roof on the overhang, yard cleaned up, etc.)

Right now I'm at the point where I am reassembling the drive train. I recieved my suspension overhaul kit from Kaiserwillys. I went ahead and got springs, shocks, u-bolts, shackles, bushings, and all the miscellaneous nuts and bolts. Axles are complete and ready to be re-installed.

Today I started test fitting all of the springs and got the rear axle underneath the frame.

Springs Ready to be Fitted

springs.jpg

Rear Axle situated under Frame

rear-axle.jpg

A Little New Concrete to Work On

new-concrete.jpg
front-axle.jpg  
Unread 06-16-2009, 05:29 PM   #44
-jeep-jeep-
1983 CJ7 

Yes updates, i like your build so far, im a little behind you in my cj2a build. But i am also getting close to reasembling the drivetrain.

-J-J-
Jeep # 4 - 1999 wj stock and still pretty
-jeep-jeep- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2009, 05:49 PM   #45
AbsolutXJ
1953 M-38 

It's been extremely painful until this week...I'm so tired of sanding and painting odds and ends. I'll be happy when I have all of my pieces together and ready to assemble. Right now, I'm just working on it as I have time. Your jeep looks good. Everybody needs a project right?

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.