lower steering shaft boot replacement - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > lower steering shaft boot replacement

JK Vent Covers - NalinMFGRCV Axles at CCORPoison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955

Unread 03-26-2003, 07:10 PM   #1
hfjeff
1995 YJ Wrangler 

lower steering shaft boot replacement

Has anyone out there changed the rubber boot on the lower end of the steering shaft where the shaft connects to the gear box? I have the whole works apart (lower coupling section) and painted and can't stretch the new boot over the pin that goes through the shaft on the lower end. Not even close. I even heated it with a hair dryer to soften the rubber and I don't want to tear it. Does the steering shaft come apart in the middle? It looks like a 2 piece unit with pins or set screws holding the 2 together. Noting the highly technical nature of this question, I will certainly understand if nobody is able to meet this challenge. Thanks.

hfjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2003, 08:00 PM   #2
rustyCJ

the steering shaft is two pieces. drill out the four pins, two on each side and good luck seperating the two. some advice, get some penetrating oil(everyone on here loves PB blaster) and pour it down the end of the shaft and let it soak for a few days if you can(over night at least). this will greatly help in getting them apart. i havent ever swapped a boot out so cant help you there.
Unread 03-26-2003, 09:20 PM   #3
CSP

I know it's hard to believe, but that boot will stretch enough to go over the pins. You have to be careful not to tear it though.
CSP is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2003, 10:28 PM   #4
goody350s

i know this might seem dumb but im throwing it out
there anyway
i had a similar problem i changed my master cylinder
out the other day and i stuck the rod into the hole
before i put the new boot on
the new boot had a very tiny hole and i had to slip it
on over the end that attaches to the brake pedal
it was like tring to stuff 5 lbs of **** into a 2 lbs bag
after tring to no avail i lubed the boot with a light
coat of oil and it slipped right over the end of the shaft
i dont know but maybe that would help
if im way off base just tell me to shut the hell up
anyway just my .02
Unread 05-02-2013, 06:30 PM   #5
CJ7ROB
1986 CJ7 

Old thread I know, but I bought a new boot, slipped it over the shaft and I understand how it goes together with the locking ring. But there is this one piece I can't figure out where or how it goes. It looks like it might go down towards the bottom by the pressed in pin. Does anyone have a picture of the piece or breakdown with pics of how everything under the steering shaft boot is supposed to go together? thx

Here's the piece I'm talking about, it was just floating around in there when I took the original boot off

http://www.carid.com/1979-jeep-cj-su...FUdU4AodOWQAEA

Found this below but would like to see a pic of it installed so I know I get it right

1. The rubber boot goes on the lower sterring shaft above the bell coupler.
2. The spring goes over the steering shaft and the trunions (the little posts).
3. The "bearings" go on trunions.
4. This assembly slides into the bell coupler.
5. The boot mates to the top of the coupler.
6. The clip holds the boot in place.
CJ7ROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2013, 06:36 PM   #6
skizriz
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7ROB View Post
Old thread I know, but I bought a new boot, slipped it over the shaft and I understand how it goes together with the locking ring. But there is this one piece I can't figure out where or how it goes. It looks like it might go down towards the bottom by the pressed in pin. Does anyone have a picture of the piece or breakdown with pics of how everything under the steering shaft boot is supposed to go together? thx

Here's the piece I'm talking about, it was just floating around in there when I took the original boot off

http://www.carid.com/1979-jeep-cj-su...FUdU4AodOWQAEA
That piece lays on the shaft, and puts outward pressure on the square blocks, if that makes any sense.

The square blocks sit in the square tabs. You should have to gently squeeze the blocks in with your fingers when you slide the shaft into the bell shaped coupler.
It's very easy to bend up the piece you asked about when installing the two pieces together. So be careful, and don't force it.

This is the only picture I could find.
Unread 05-02-2013, 06:47 PM   #7
CJ7ROB
1986 CJ7 

Thanks Skiz, I found this one below too.

CJ7ROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2013, 06:49 PM   #8
skizriz
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7ROB View Post
Thanks Skiz, I found this one below too.

Alot better than what I found.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.