low voltage... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > low voltage...

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 09-27-2006, 07:13 PM   #1
jy4wvu

low voltage...

I have an 84 CJ7. I have replaced the alternator. I have replaced battery cables and a new battery. I have replaced the starter solenoid. When i use the headlights and/or heater, the voltage drops below 12 volts. If i drive for 30 minutes that way, the battery dies. Any help????
is there a voltage regulator external of the alternator??

jy4wvu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2006, 07:29 PM   #2
Bard
1985 CJ7 

Either way if you have a 4 or 6 cyl, you could have gotten a bad alternator, which could work for a short period of time. I have had this happen before. Take it off and have the parts store test it where you bought it. If it comes back negative, you have a bad ground somewhere which is drawing off the battery, but I think it is the alternator by the sounds of your problem.
85' CJ7 Laredo, 383 GM, Turbo 350, NP 203. SOA, 2" frame lift, 34" TSL swampers, Dana 30 open, AMC 20 w/ detroit locker, 4:10's, 1 Piece Mosers, 35" boggers to abuse when needed.
Bard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2006, 01:05 PM   #3
jy4wvu

i took alternator in for test....it is ok. i have re-ground everything. I have 2 wires on the alternator plug in...red and white. does the white go to ground??
jy4wvu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2006, 06:24 PM   #4
gosupes
1986 CJ7 

You might try upgrading to a larger gauge wire from the alt to the solenoid post also. I was losing about 4 volts with everything running and the stock 10awg wire. I installed a 2awg wire from a chunk of battery cable with some heavy copper terminals soldered on. No more loss.
1986 CJ7, 4.2 w/4.0 head, TFI-HEI hybrid ignition, Clifford manifold w/Holley 390 w/cold air intake, OBA, 4.5" lift, Woody CV shaft and Tattons in front, 4.10 gears - lunchbox in front, Truetrac in the back, twin-sticked, blower upgrade for running topless, trying to keep it simple.

It's just a Jeep, and if you don't wheel it once in a while, it's not even that.
gosupes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2006, 03:54 AM   #5
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jy4wvu
i took alternator in for test....it is ok. i have re-ground everything. I have 2 wires on the alternator plug in...red and white. does the white go to ground??
You mean it's not hooked to anything now and you got it working!?? Shazaam!!
Case of the alternator is ground the red heavy gauge wire comming out of the 2 wire plug goes to the output post. the other wire, normally brown or tan, conects back to the ignition switch. This is usually a thin fragle resistance wire that is usually pooly crimped into the terminal.
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.