Low Compression - help!!! How to do the test??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Low Compression - help!!! How to do the test???

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 04-16-2012, 06:36 AM   #1
warrior1670
1986 CJ7 

Low Compression - help!!! How to do the test???

Ok, so I got my new carb on, the motor runs great. 258 with new motorcraft 2150 no emissions crap. It was missing on #4, replaced the plugs last night, miss gone.

So, before that, the guy working on it said it had very low compression on #1 and #2, he didn't check the rest. It fires up great, runs, little sluggish, blew very little smoke. I'm not sure if this is from #4 missing or not. He did the compression test cold.

So, I did a cold compression test, between 58 and 61 psi on all cylinders. I know this is very low but should this thing be running with it that low? What's the correct procedure for a compression test? I pulled a plug, put the compression gauge in it, started it, cleared the gauge, it went to 60 in three pulses and sat there. If it opened the throttle, it went up dramatically over 100 but didn't think this was right.

So, what's the correct way to do it?

Secondly, is there a way to tell if it's the rings or valves? Since all cylinders are dramatically low, could it be something else?

warrior1670 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-16-2012, 07:01 AM   #2
hotrod351
1955 M-38 

ive never held the throttle open and have never, and i mean never, had any problem in getting a good reading. if you have a air compressor you can connect the hose to the compression tester and shoot air into the cylinder. if you hear air coming out of the valve cover where you put oil then its valves, if you hear it coming out the exhaust pipe then rings.
hotrod351 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-16-2012, 07:11 AM   #3
h2ogun
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Pull all your plugs

Wire your carburetor wide open

For each cylinder , Crank your engine until you get about 3 compressions
h2ogun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-16-2012, 08:15 AM   #4
Centerfire

1986 CJ7 

The Manual

Compression Test Instructions
Page B-19

http://www.civilianjeep.info/84-86FSM/CJ-FSM-84to86.pdf

In addition;
There is also a "Wet" compression test. Squirt a couple teaspoons of oil into the cylinder and test the compression. If the compression came up on the wet test, your rings are probably bad. If it stayed the same its probably a valve.

Then use the compression leak down test to verify ...
compression-test.jpg  
Centerfire is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-16-2012, 07:29 PM   #5
warrior1670
1986 CJ7 

Thanks for the help everyone. Got good news and bad. Good news, I got the test done dry and wet. More good news, it's not 60psi/cylinder. Bad news, still 100-110 psi. Eh better than 60 I guess. Thanks. Starting a new thread for opinions.
Unread 04-16-2012, 08:07 PM   #6
Trapshooter
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrior1670 View Post
Thanks for the help everyone. Got good news and bad. Good news, I got the test done dry and wet. More good news, it's not 60psi/cylinder. Bad news, still 100-110 psi. Eh better than 60 I guess. Thanks. Starting a new thread for opinions.
How many miles on the engine? How much oil is the engine consuming between changes? What kind of values where you hoping for?

Your results of 100-110 psi isn't bad for a high mileage engine. Consistency between cylinders is more important than high readings. This ensures the cylinders share an equal amount of work.
'86 CJ7, 258, Carter BBD, Nutter'ed, TeamRush'ed, T-18, Twin Sticked Dana 300, D30 Frt-Pwr Lok L/S-4.10, AMC 20 Rear-Mosers-Detroit Locker-4.10, 2.5 BDS Lift, 1" Body Lift, 33" Wild Country M/Ts, Black Spoke wheels

'45 CJ2A, L134 Go Devil, T-90 Tranny, Warn O/D, T-18 T-Case, Dana 25 Frt, Dana 41 Rear, 531st CJ made

My 401 build: [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/trapshooters-401-build-1338277/[/url]
Trapshooter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-16-2012, 09:36 PM   #7
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

The spec for a 258 is 120-150 psi with max 30psi variation between cylinders.

If you have an even 110psi, it is a little low but not catastrophic.

What did the dry and wet tests show? Is it valves or rings?

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
BagusJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-17-2012, 06:01 AM   #8
warrior1670
1986 CJ7 

The dry check resulted in 100-110 across the board, did the wet check on #1 cylinder and it went to 150psi. Does that show if it's rings or valves? Everyone says the wet test shows it's rings. 130K on the engine.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.