JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Jeep CJ Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/)
-   -   Lot of questions 727 install!! (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/lot-questions-727-install-1521792/)

Rjahr 05-11-2013 06:50 AM

Lot of questions 727 install!!
 
Hey guys- I picked up a 78 CJ7 last year for a pretty good price- Has a rebuilt 304 in it and a 4 spd transmission- The manual seems pretty sloppy and wants to always kick out of reverse- I've read on here that I can install a jeep 727... So I picked one up on ebay the other day and it should be here in the next few days... Upon more reading I seemed to have read that the 727 mate up well to the Dana 300 transfer case and most likely because mines a 78 has a dana 20 t case- Whats the deal- if thats the case can I simply change transfer cases or am I in a huge ordeal about changing a lot of stuff... Please let me know.

CSP 05-11-2013 06:42 PM

The Dana 20 was used behind the 727 in IH Scouts, but you'd need the tailhousing and main shaft from an IH 727 to use your Dana 20.

Be aware that unless you have a minimum of 4" of suspension lift your front driveshaft will most likely be in contact with the front of the transmission pan. The 727 has a bumpout at the front of the pan for a servo, which is the cause of the clearance issue.

Always2L8 05-11-2013 07:42 PM

Since you have already dropped the dime on the TF727 start here http://www.jeeptech.com/convtrans/conv727.html . As CSP mentioned a suspension lift is needed.

If your not intending to tear the Jeep apart on hard trails, a better choice would be the Jeep specific TF A904/A999 transmission family. These have a better first gear ratio than the 727. Just a thought.

Good Luck

Edit: Or just re-build the manual and enjoy

Rjahr 05-11-2013 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CSP (Post 15420949)
The Dana 20 was used behind the 727 in IH Scouts, but you'd need the tailhousing and main shaft from an IH 727 to use your Dana 20.

Be aware that unless you have a minimum of 4" of suspension lift your front driveshaft will most likely be in contact with the front of the transmission pan. The 727 has a bumpout at the front of the pan for a servo, which is the cause of the clearance issue.

I already have 4" leaf spring lift with 3" body lift and 35's- can I use the Dana 20 or my research shows I can buy a d300 and be there just as easy

jp360cj 05-11-2013 11:06 PM

First you need to verify what transmission and tcase you have. 78 didn't come factory with a 304/4 speed combo. Something has been swapped along the way.

Could be an original 258/t18/d20 combo in which case I would fix the transmission. Or you could sell it for more than you'll spend on a D300. Someone could have just as easily swapped in a T176/d300 in which case you already have the tcase you're looking for.

Lots of other possibilities, just throwing out a few for demonstration. Before buying any more parts, make sure you know what you have.

CSP 05-12-2013 02:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rjahr (Post 15421425)
can I use the Dana 20 or my research shows I can buy a d300 and be there just as easy

Yes you can use the Dana 20 and I already explained how. It would be easier to swap in a Dana 300 unless you have access to an IH 727 and the knowledge to mix n' match parts.

Rjahr 05-17-2013 09:07 PM

Got underneath it today and the transmission is stamped ford in a few places any help- should just need the Dana 300 with the 727 I would think right?

Quote:

Originally Posted by jp360cj (Post 15421926)
First you need to verify what transmission and tcase you have. 78 didn't come factory with a 304/4 speed combo. Something has been swapped along the way.

Could be an original 258/t18/d20 combo in which case I would fix the transmission. Or you could sell it for more than you'll spend on a D300. Someone could have just as easily swapped in a T176/d300 in which case you already have the tcase you're looking for.

Lots of other possibilities, just throwing out a few for demonstration. Before buying any more parts, make sure you know what you have.


tjeep1 05-18-2013 01:42 AM

FORD?????? tf727:PopCorn:

Rjahr 02-17-2014 09:19 AM

Tf727 is still in the box- ford transmission is under the rig
Quote:

Originally Posted by tjeep1 (Post 15448289)
FORD?????? tf727:PopCorn:



The time now is 11:36 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.