Lost top end speed - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Lost top end speed

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 04-27-2013, 11:22 AM   #76
firemanjim7
1983 CJ7 

Ok guys I will keep working on it with y'all's recommendations. Probably wot be this weekend anymore. My daughter is getting confirmed tomorrow and next weekend is her party so I'll try and work on it during the week. Baseball is over now so I have more time. I'll keep y'all updated.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum

firemanjim7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2013, 11:48 AM   #77
firemanjim7
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by swatson454
I'd install the heaviest springs, set the initial at 10 and try Vizard's procedure I posted earlier. I'll be shocked if you can start the curve at 14.

Good luck!

Shawn

Edit: I may know a guy who's got a D.U.I. curve sitting in a drawer that "he" will send you but I'd like to see you exhaust your tuning efforts on the CRT first. It's just good information for the whole JF crew
Hey Shawn you would start with the heaviest springs even if they were heavier than what came stock in the CRT? I also failed to mention that curve example poorly illustrated was with one stock spring and a lighter spring from the kit. I had no ping on any part of acceleration or even lug.

Unread 04-27-2013, 12:00 PM   #78
swatson454
Mall-crawlin' Hot Rodder

1983 CJ7 

I was under the impression you were pinging at the top end when you went up to 12*. Did you correct that already?

Shawn
Unread 04-27-2013, 12:12 PM   #79
firemanjim7
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
I was under the impression you were pinging at the top end when you went up to 12*. Did you correct that already?

Shawn
Yeah I got that out of it with a minor adjustment to the vac advance and the ping was under mid range load not top end.

Unread 04-27-2013, 12:24 PM   #80
swatson454
Mall-crawlin' Hot Rodder

1983 CJ7 

Ahhh, that's right. My bad.

Well, it's up to you. That's a really good method if you just wanted to start from square one. I'm still with Matt in thinking that they threw you an empty bone. You never know...

Shawn
Unread 04-27-2013, 12:30 PM   #81
firemanjim7
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Ahhh, that's right. My bad.

Well, it's up to you. That's a really good method if you just wanted to start from square one. I'm still with Matt in thinking that they threw you an empty bone. You never know...

Shawn
Well now I don't really know what to do. My curve is up around 36* now. Yeah alittle early at 2700rpm but will that make a difference. One time i read it needs to be alittle quicker in and now alittle slower in. I'm about to say f it and hold it too the floor till it goes BOOM!

Unread 04-27-2013, 12:45 PM   #82
swatson454
Mall-crawlin' Hot Rodder

1983 CJ7 

I say, if you got your performance back and it's definitely not knocking, close the hood and enjoy a job well done.

Shawn
Unread 04-27-2013, 12:50 PM   #83
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

I'm with Shawn, only I'd back your initial down to 10-12, just to be on the safe side.

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2013, 01:04 PM   #84
firemanjim7
1983 CJ7 

Ok I'll try it for awhile guys. My to speed was only 75mph with these settings but maybe asking too much out of a 258. I could have sworn it had better top speed before the CRT though. I wish I could drop my Cummings in it. Boy wouldn't that be fun. Thanks for all your help Matt and Shawn y'all have talked me off the ledge yet another time.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.