loose wheel hub??????? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > loose wheel hub???????

ExtremeTerrain GROUP BUY: Barricade Rear Bumpers/Tire Carr*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*Component speaker deal for your dash - NalinMFG

Unread 07-09-2011, 05:58 PM   #1
WesleyNowlen
1983 CJ7 

loose wheel hub???????

I can grab my front wheels and wiggle them both. Seems like the hubs are loose. Should I replace the hubs? I think this also contributes to my wondering steering.

WesleyNowlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2011, 06:15 PM   #2
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Give us a little more info... I'm assuming your wheels are jacked up, and you're grabbing the front wheels and wiggling them? If that's the case, it sounds to me like wheel bearings, which is a fairly simple thing to replace or repack. But if they have been run long like that you should plan on replacing them. You should also have a look at all of the bushings associated with your steering. They could be worn out, and worn bushings will make you go all over the road.

"Contemplate the mangled bodies of your countrymen, and then say 'what should be the reward of such sacrifices?' ... If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!" —Samuel Adams

Clay's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cl...hread-1061897/
Scott's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/sc...5-cj7-1147913/
Fallon (and Dad) Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/f...-okee-1445206/
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2011, 06:35 PM   #3
gojeepin
1983 CJ7 

Loose hubs would probably be more of a wobbling problem than a wandering problem.

Does the knuckle remain still when the wheel shakes?

If the knuckle moves side-to-side, check tie rod ends and the steering box.
If the knuckle moves up/down check the ball joints.

83 CJ7, 4.1L 6cyl (4.0L bored .030" over), 35" tires, T-5 transmission, Dana 300 TC, Trussed AMC 20.
gojeepin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2011, 06:53 PM   #4
WesleyNowlen
1983 CJ7 

Knuckle stays in place. Just the wheel hub is wiggling.
WesleyNowlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2011, 07:04 PM   #5
gojeepin
1983 CJ7 

I'd replace them right away. You don't want your front hubs to have any play.

If they've got play, the bearings are extremely worn or the hub nuts are working loose. Either way you don't want a hub failure.

If you've got a wandering problem this may make things better but not solve everthing.

Read the article in my signature block.

83 CJ7, 4.1L 6cyl (4.0L bored .030" over), 35" tires, T-5 transmission, Dana 300 TC, Trussed AMC 20.
gojeepin is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.