loose steering wheel....not loose steering - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > loose steering wheel....not loose steering

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 02-17-2008, 02:46 PM   #1
meater
1981 CJ8 

loose steering wheel....not loose steering

Hello again everybody,

I have a 1981 CJ7 with an adjustable tilt steering wheel (you can pull a lever and tilt the wheel up or down to meet your preferences). Lately, there has been some play in it. This happens without pulling the lever. And it moves in all directions (not just up and down). This led me to believe that something is loose (possibly a bolt that connects the steering component to the drive shaft?). So, I took off the steering wheel to find this supposed loose bolt, and that's as far as I could get (just was able to get the steering wheel off...could not get deeper into it than where the wheel bolts on...probably missing something here).

Anybody else have this problem? Am I on the right track? Is there an easy way to tighten it up? Do I have to replace the whole thing?

This seems fairly serious, as I am afraid that the whole tilt wheel will fall off if I continue to drive it. Is this is real fear?

thanks to any and all responses.

meater is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2008, 03:04 PM   #2
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

You can borrow from the parts stores usually, a tool called a 'GM lockplate tool'. It compresses that center ring so you can get the circlip out. If you are strong, you can do it with your fingers and have someone else pop the clip out for you. You push down on it.

You will find some loose bolts in there I believe. There are kits for the hinge too I think. It is a Saginaw column, same as lots of GM's like full sized vans, Camaros, etc...
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2008, 05:28 PM   #3
JamieinNH
1984 CJ7 

Sears also sells the tools needed to remove the steering wheel. They are only $19.95 for two kits, one to pull the steering wheel, and one to remove the o ring holding in that lock plate.

I figured since I owned a Jeep and would be taking it apart from time to time, I would just buy the two tool kits.

Here is a good link to help you fix loose tilt.. The webpage is down now, but I am sure it will be back online shortly..

http://www.epiccomputer.com/dale/jee...tilt/tilt.html

Jamie
Unread 02-19-2008, 02:06 AM   #4
meater
1981 CJ8 

thanks for the help guys. this looks a bit technical, but i'm going to buy the kits and give it a whirl.

ps-that web page link is pretty amazing
meater is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.