Loose hub bearings - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Loose hub bearings

NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDUSA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4Rugged Ridge Modular XHD Snorkel Now for both 3.8L and 3.6

Unread 06-13-2011, 10:05 PM   #16
h2ojeep
1978 CJ7 

Tom
You lucky dog, just read your profile and see you are a machinist. You will probably have access the to the press you will need to press out the old ujoint.

Why could I not have such luck?

h2ojeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2011, 05:33 AM   #17
ymurf
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2ojeep View Post
Tom
You lucky dog, just read your profile and see you are a machinist. You will probably have access the to the press you will need to press out the old ujoint.

Why could I not have such luck?
I actually run a Water jet and most of the time I am on a 85 ton cnc Press.
ymurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2011, 06:19 AM   #18
CALOcruiser

1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepHammer View Post
Yup, gotta love that rotten chocolate milkshake in the diff carrier!
Found that myself!
Just one of those 'PO' things you have to take care of!
Thanks for all the suggestions. I didn't mean to hi-jack the thread, just pointing out what you can find when you start looking.

I actually did all that work last year. I slept with that thread on water-proofing (which I linked to above) under my pillow for a couple months to get the axle cleaned up. Excellent step-by-step instruction on how to tear-down and rebuild the axle.

A weekend job to do rotors and pads yielded a much longer journey to the center of my axle.
CALOcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2011, 12:51 PM   #19
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

It ALWAYS happens, you start out to chance a $3 seal or 98 gasket, and wind up spending $500 and taking a MONTH to chase out what the PO did to things!

I start all my 'New Purchases' (New to ME!) with the basics,
Repacking wheel bearings, putting in new seals/gaskets, pulling the diff covers and having a clean up/inspection,
Pulling the old lubricant out of the transmission/transfer case and having a look at what comes out,
Tightening up the bolts that are still there, replacing the ones that are MIA,
Checking brakes, getting them working again,
General engine tune up, changing the coolant and flushing the radiator/block,
Replacing hoses and belts...

The stuff that EVERY neglected CJ has when you get it...

You know, I SHOULD just buy a new Jeep and get it over with, but I've worked on 'Junk' so long I wouldn't know how to act if SOMETHING wasn't broke or in need if IMMEDIATE ATTENTION!
JeepHammer is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.