Looks like negative camber on my D30, possibly bent... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Looks like negative camber on my D30, possibly bent...

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 08-20-2013, 06:44 PM   #1
1983 CJ7 

Looks like negative camber on my D30, possibly bent...

It sure looks like my front axle has negative camber on both sides, the passenger side more than the drivers side. I guess it's possible one of the former owners jumped it or bent the axle with some hard wheeling.

If this is true, can a frame shop put it on the rack, chain it down at the knuckles and straighten it without destroying it?

I was thinking, it may be possible to do this myself by putting some anchors in the concrete and using a floor jack.

What do ya'll think?

Unread 08-20-2013, 06:53 PM   #2
Spieg8
1984 CJ8 

It can be done, but don't do it yourself (I'd put a good truss on it too). Depending how bad the camber is, it may be easier to use adjustable ball joints. If it's real bad, you should also check to make sure the shafts, bearings and seals are not taking a beating.
Spieg8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-20-2013, 07:03 PM   #3
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

How much pos. camber does it show.
You can take allot out with eccentric sleeves in the upper ball joints.
LG
Unread 08-20-2013, 07:18 PM   #4
skizriz
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ7 

The camber looking out of wack and being out of wack are two different things. Looking at mine last week, it looked all wonkey to me. The shop showed it at +1.

The toe was at dead ahead. Once the toe was set to 1/8" in, the camber illusion went away.
Unread 08-20-2013, 07:18 PM   #5
1983 CJ7 

It is dark now, let me try my angle finder tomorrow after work.

It has not been in for an alignment yet, I am only looking at it from a distance.

skiz, I hope it's an illusion!
Unread 08-20-2013, 08:01 PM   #6
only in a jeep cj
1986 CJ7 

Use floor jack to lift each front tire and grab tire at 12 and 6 oclock, rock back and forth and see how much play is in the bearings....AND as said, toe in or out can change camber due to the lean the tire experiences during a turn.
Alignment shop first and see what they find. IF bent, Don't try it yourself as the forces involved to bend it back would require a large frame rack.

1975 CJ-6 304 T15 Dana20 30/44 3.73
1983 CJ-8 258 T5 300 30/44 3.31 Looking for full or half hardtop buy or trade
1986 CJ-7 Laredo 4.6 stroker T5 300 30/44 3.31
1986 TJ-7 Trail Jeep project in the works
2003 Inca Gold TJ Rubicon
only in a jeep cj is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.