Looking For T-18 Out Of A Jeep

1K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  CSP 
#1 · (Edited)
I'm looking for a T-18 tranny out of a jeep application to mate up
to a 360 amc. I would like it out of a jeep because it would most
likely have the adapter already on it. I am using a model 20
transfer case. Any thoughts on where I might find one. :confused:

#2 ·
to answer your question; old waggys and J-trucks in salvage yards, the for sale forum here, or even place a post in the wanted section here.

BTW, how much research have you done on this? are you planning on using the T18/dana20 combo from a waggy or J-truck in a short wheelbase jeep? IIRC the adapter used to mate the dana20 to the T18 in those applications were anywhere from six to ten inches long, which would mean no rear driveshaft in a short wheelbase jeep.

there are a lot of writeups online discussing how to swap in a T18 into a short wheebase jeep and just what mods need to be done to accomplish it depending on what the t18 came out of originally. good luck.

#3 ·
rustyCJ said:
to answer your question; old waggys and J-trucks in salvage yards, the for sale forum here, or even place a post in the wanted section here.

BTW, how much research have you done on this? are you planning on using the T18/dana20 combo from a waggy or J-truck in a short wheelbase jeep? IIRC the adapter used to mate the dana20 to the T18 in those applications were anywhere from six to ten inches long, which would mean no rear driveshaft in a short wheelbase jeep.

there are a lot of writeups online discussing how to swap in a T18 into a short wheebase jeep and just what mods need to be done to accomplish it depending on what the t18 came out of originally. good luck.
The T-18 will be going into a 1980 cj-7 with a 360 putting out
close to 400 HP. :D I sure hope the T-18 will hold up.

#4 ·
i wasnt questioning wether or not a T18 was a good choice to put behind your 360, just wether or not the source the T18 was coming from.

unless you are looking for the elusive wide ratio CJ version you are left with three versions of jeep t18s. the early FSJ with V8 that used a one inch adapter and the deeper T15 bellhousing, the later FSJ with V8 that used a five inch adpater and the deeper T15 bellhousing, and the later FSJ with I6 that used a three inch adapter and the deeper T15 bellhousing. all jeep T18s use a one inch adapter between the t18 and the dana20. what this all boils down to is the stock configs are too long to work in a cj application. you will need to either find a T18a out of a cj or mod a jeep or ford t18 to fit cj constraints.

some food for thought

#5 ·
I am putting a T-18 (out of a J-20) on my 86 CJ.

Keep in mind, that just cause the T-18 comes off an AMC vehicle...doesn't mean you won't need modifications :)

My T-18 needed a shoter input shaft as well as a shorter bell housing.

The bellhousing I found on e-bay. You will need a bell housing from a T-150 or T-176 (i think i have the right models).

The shorter input shaft I bought from Novak Conversions in Utah.

My T-18 isn't yet mounted, as it finally will be rebuilt this week!

#6 ·
I have just completed a T-18 swap in my 76 CJ5. It had a T-150. I found a T-18 out of an early to mid 70's J20 truck. The front input shaft was over 9 inches long. I bought a short shaft kit from partsmike.com. While I had it apart, I rebuilt the rest of the tranny. The J20 also had a Dana 20 transfer case, so my t-case bolted up, no problem. If you use a T-18 from full size jeep, you will have to have a bellhousing for a t-150/176. They are drilled for two trans bolt patterns. The driver side lower tranny to bellhousing bolt will have to be a stud because of the clutch fork clearance. Here are some web sites that may help.

http://www.offroaders.com/info/tech-corner/project-cj7/project-cj7-t-18-rebuild.htm

http://www.partsmikeparts.com/catalog.htm

Ford T-18's will also bolt to a T-150 bellhousing and the input shaft is already the right length. the problem is adapting a Ford to a Dana 20 transfer case. Some old Bronco T-18 had a Dana 20.

I had to do modify my trans mount, trim a small place on my skid plate, and have my driveshafts shortened and lengthened. The T-18 is a little over 3 inches longer than the T-150. The skidplate also had to be moved back, but there are factory holes in the frame and plate to do this.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.