Looking for opinions on value of a '77 pristine CJ-5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Looking for opinions on value of a '77 pristine CJ-5

Currie Antirock, Currectlync & Lift Kits on Sale!Oconee Off-Road Free Shipping Lifts Tires Bumpers Tops andIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 02-27-2013, 05:05 PM   #1
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Looking for opinions on value of a '77 pristine CJ-5

I have a customer at my shop who inherited a 1977 CJ-5 from his father. It is 100% stock, has been garage kept it's entire life, and has a verifiable 18,279 miles on the odometer.

It has a six cylinder, three-speed transmission, completely stock drivetrain that has been dealer serviced since his father bought it. The paint condition is really good, as is the soft top & doors. The spare tire is mounted on the right side rear corner, and it has a tailgate.

It's a bright mustard yellow machine & I hope to update this thread with pictures of it tomorrow.

He had intentions of having our shop add a lift/tires/etc. to make it a "bump-around-town" Jeep for sunny days, but to be honest I am trying to talk him out of it. In my opinion, the Jeep is just too stock & too pristine to modify. I really feel like it could/should be appreciated by a purist that can see the beauty of a completely preserved page of Jeep history.

Please help me put a value on this little beauty that I've dubbed "Colonel Mustard" so he'll be inclined to sell it & find something more pedestrian to build from.

Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2013, 05:20 PM   #2
skizriz
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Max View Post

He had intentions of having our shop add a lift/tires/etc. to make it a "bump-around-town" Jeep for sunny days, but to be honest I am trying to talk him out of it. In my opinion, the Jeep is just too stock & too pristine to modify. I really feel like it could/should be appreciated by a purist that can see the beauty of a completely preserved page of Jeep history.

I agree. They are only original once.

Can't help with the value.
Unread 02-27-2013, 05:34 PM   #3
akguy09

Lift

My vote is for lifting it, if that's what the customer wants
Unread 02-27-2013, 07:09 PM   #4
Blue83CJ7
1980 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by akguy09
My vote is for lifting it, if that's what the customer wants
Agreed...

It's his dads jeep and that's much more valuable to him than any collector will ever appreciate. Another jeep just wouldn't cut it for me if I was the customer.

No offense to you, but I might actually be pissed if I brought my jeep somewhere to get work done and they tried to convince me to sell my dads jeep and build a meaningless jeep instead (and posted pics on the web without my permission or knowledge).

Edit: my intention was NOT to "poke the bear," but raising my 2 year old son around my jeep and seeing how happy it makes him makes me appreciate the customers position, if he actually liked his father, haha.
Unread 02-27-2013, 07:12 PM   #5
CherryCj7
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue83CJ7 View Post
Agreed...

It's his dads jeep and that's much more valuable to him than any collector will ever appreciate. Another jeep just wouldn't cut it for me if I was the customer.

No offense to you, but I might actually be pissed if I brought my jeep somewhere to get work done and they tried to convince me to sell my dads jeep and build a meaningless jeep instead (and posted pics on the web without my permission or knowledge).

Edit: my intention was NOT to "poke the bear," but raising my 2 year old son around my jeep and seeing how happy it makes him makes me appreciate the customers position, if he actually liked his father, haha.
X2
CherryCj7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2013, 07:30 PM   #6
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue83CJ7 View Post

Agreed...

I understand your point, and as a fellow Jeeper I would feel the same.

What I didn't make clear enough is that he has zero emotional attachment to it. It's not of any significant value to him for those reasons. He wants a cool looking Jeep to ride around in when the weather is nice. He has emailed me since I made the thread & he would like to sell it and get something more modern in a Jeep.

I really could use some input on value.

Max

Quote:
Quote:
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Unread 02-27-2013, 07:49 PM   #7
gogop66
1986 CJ7 

I was looking for something similar to this last summer and had a very hard time finding it. I ended up with a 86 CJ7 very stock with a horrible repaint job and I paid $5000 which I thought was a steal. It has 215K miles on it. I would have paid 9 to 10K for one like you describe. But that's me here in Ca. I know prices are very different in other parts of the country. Check ebay.. that's a good place to start.
gogop66 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2013, 07:53 PM   #8
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogop66 View Post
I was looking for something similar to this last summer and had a very hard time finding it. I ended up with a 86 CJ7 very stock with a horrible repaint job and I paid $5000 which I thought was a steal. It has 215K miles on it. I would have paid 9 to 10K for one like you describe. But that's me here in Ca. I know prices are very different in other parts of the country. Check ebay.. that's a good place to start.
Thanks!

To be honest, I was thinking 10K-15K would be in line for this one. But because I'm not so familiar with purchase & selling pricing, I would love to hear input from others.

Max

Quote:
Quote:

Unread 02-27-2013, 08:08 PM   #9
letchcore
1983 CJ7 

Its hard to put a value on something you can see but I would say $10-15 is a good range. With 18k miles buyers for this jeep will want it very stock. Factory paint is a big deal on a Jeep that old. Any service records and documents will be important too. Its too bad he does not care about it. If my dad left me a Cj5 with 18k miles like that I would own it forever and never change it.
04 Wrangler Rubicon. Stock
letchcore is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2013, 08:11 PM   #10
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

It is VERY stock, and the paint is all original inside & out, in really good shape.

Max

Quote:
Quote:

Unread 02-27-2013, 08:24 PM   #11
SKT
1981 CJ7 

Might want to call Collins Brothers or Rudy's CJ.

There was a thread similar to this one about a year or so ago.

The owner reached out to Collins Brothers, and they ended up buying it.

Click here to see thousands of 'Abandoned and Neglected' Jeeps rotting away...
SKT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2013, 08:26 PM   #12
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKT View Post

Might want to call Collins Brothers or Rudy's CJ.

There was a thread similar to this one about a year or so ago.

The owner reached out to Collins Brothers, and they ended up buying it.

Great idea, thank you.

Max

Quote:
Quote:

Unread 02-28-2013, 05:42 PM   #13
SKT
1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Max

Great idea, thank you.

Max

NP, we'll split the 10% finders fee if they buy it...LOL!?!

Click here to see thousands of 'Abandoned and Neglected' Jeeps rotting away...
SKT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-28-2013, 07:00 PM   #14
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Max

Quote:
Quote:

Unread 02-28-2013, 07:02 PM   #15
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Max

Quote:
Quote:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.