Looking at jeeps, and maybe a rebuild - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Looking at jeeps, and maybe a rebuild

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 08-04-2005, 04:53 PM   #1
jeepin_man

Looking at jeeps, and maybe a rebuild

I have been looking at jeeps recently, a guy at my wifes work is selling an 81, right now that is all I know about it, and he asking about 2 he says. I will get more into it after I see some pictures. my qustion was about rebuilding the motor. do they normally wear bad, and require a full 0.30 bore? or will a good hone job work? I am speaking in general here, I know every motor is diff. Also any tips to look for i.e. common problems, or fail points. also is the following rebuild kit any good or am I asking for troubles later on. Thanks again

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/258-A...89508398QQrdZ1

jeepin_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2005, 05:52 PM   #2
thiswebs4u

I wanted the 350 chevy engine in a older Jeep for emissions. Here in Denver below 1982 you just have the tail pipe sniffed. I watched the papers until one matched my criteria. It didn't take long but I got lucky. You might want to look at a bunch of local Jeeps. Some people sell way below and some people sell high. Just have all ducks in a row and ready to move for the right deal.
thiswebs4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2005, 06:26 PM   #3
jeepin_man

ya, I am working on selling my boat right now so I can get those ducks in a row. we don't have any kind of emissions down here, we don't have any kind of inspection.
Unread 08-05-2005, 07:27 AM   #4
dawgates
Web Wheeler
1980 CJ7 

I would suggest posting some pictures when you have the chance. That way we can better give you an idea of what it's worth.
Right off hand 2000.00 doesn't sound to bad providing you can drive it home.
The rebuild you're asking about .030, would be normal. I would call Maddog and see if the have a .010 set. In this case less is better. The more you bore the cylinders, the more it could over heat.
But keep in mind we can speculate all we want, but until you take the engine apart and do some checking we're just guessing.
80' CJ7, 360 Howell Injected, 3" single exhaust, NP435 4spd, Dana 300 AA clocking ring, Currie twin stick, Tera-Low 4 -1 kit, Dana 44 front, cut 10" wider to 63", 4.10 gears, ARB, Yukon axles and Super H/D u-joints, Currie Dana 44 rear, cut wider to 60 1/2", 4.10 gears, ARB 35 spline, Currie 35 spline axle shafts, 2 1/2" x 11" Ford drum brakes, CJ-SOA conversion, Tom Woods F & R drive shafts, Warn 9500i winch, 6 point cage, Homemade F&R bumpers and tire carrier, 1" body, Pro Comp supension Kit, 12.5x35x15 BFG's, 15x10 OMF beadlocks, Body armor, OBA.
dawgates is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2005, 09:47 AM   #5
jeepin_man

I know right now I am just kicking around "what ifs" I will get some pictures of the jeep hopefully shortly. the guy is not a bad so he would not be out to rip me off, though he wants to pawn off a puppy on my wife. (no more pets) I would prefere to have it bored less, .010 over would be Ideal. Well Ideally it would just need a hone and new pistons and rings. Hopefully I will have some pics soon.

Later

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.