Looking for a CJ. Advice needed. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Looking for a CJ. Advice needed.

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 10-08-2001, 10:09 AM   #1
sloth420

Looking for a CJ. Advice needed.

I am looking for a CJ.

What are some things to look for as far as engine and transmission go. What are some options, models, and years to avoid?

I hoping to find a model from the 80's. It would mostly be used around town with the occasional off road excursion.

Thanks in advance for all the help.

Sloth

sloth420 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-08-2001, 06:51 PM   #2
Just say no to Chrysler

Sloth, most of my experience is with cj7's, but this should go for others. The inline 6 is one of the best engines available. Good torque and takes lots of punishment. Check for oil in the crankcase. Most people never add oil and you will be driving along when one or all your gears will go (from exp.). check for oil leaks from rear main. This is to get you started. Good luck.
Just say no to Chrysler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-12-2001, 09:17 PM   #3
401cj5

Sloth,

Just say no is absolutely right. If I were shopping today I would be looking for the following:

CJ-7 from the mid-80's; or any CJ with Wide-Track axles, 1-piece
258 engine
nv4500 or T-19/18 setup
no rust

If you are going after something to off-road I would go after a Jeep that is setup already, if possible. Other nice things to find while shopping are:

fuel infection
lockers
winch

Jason
4" Lift and Locked; 33X12.5 on 15x10

78 Wag Ltd - 360
400 Trans+Quadra-Trac with MM O/D kit
D44's frt and rear
2.5" AAL's for lift: 30.5x9.5 on stock Aluminum

79 J20 - 360
T-18 with 6.32 1st gear+D20
D44HD frt D60 rear
3" RCLift Blocks for rear; 31.50x10.50 on 16x8
8400# weight truck

80 Chero - 360 with Holley Projection
727 Trans+ 208
D44 frt Model 20 rear
4" Lift; 35x12.5 on 15x10[/COLOR]
401cj5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-16-2001, 09:42 AM   #4
CJeep
Alpha dog

1982 CJ8 

I would also sitck with a mid-80s CJ-7 (in fact, I did!). In terms of finding a stock, or near-stock unit, ie. one that has not yet been built up, a few rare '86 CJ-7s came with a Dana 44 rear axle - this is good. You can tell because the AMC model 20 is round, the Dana is not.

Most of the stock trannies, T-4, T-5, and the other 4 speeds (forgot the #s) are not very strong, but unless you add a powerfull motor and tires over about 33", a well rebuilt tranny is OK, as you said you will only go off-road occasionally.

I would likely never buy a jeep with a 4-banger, even though these are decent 4-cylinder engines, the 6 wins hands-down. Like others have said, fuel injection does wonders (I have the MOPAR kit).

Just watch out for home-made crap and conversions. If you do not know what you are doing (you didn't say) it can be hard to tell if that Chevy 350 and other swapped-in stuff was done right. But, stock CJ's are dissapearing faster than Taliban idiots.

Good luck, and feel free to scan Ebay for a "feel" of what is (supposedly) out there.

2004 Grand Limited 4.7 HO - OH Boy!

2010 Grand Laredo 5.7 Hemi - SICK - work vehicle -gone - replaced by an 08 Tahoe - nice ride.

"Both my Doberman and my Jeep can accurately be described as 'black and rust.'"

"I got a fever . . . and the only prescription is more cowbell"
CJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-18-2001, 10:56 AM   #5
ArbLockerBoy

check out www.austinjeeps.com The only sell mint CJ's. They primarily deal in CJ7 but they have a few 5's as well. I like to go out there every couple days and look around. it's like walking through a candy store!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.