Looking at buying this CJ, what's the skinny? - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Looking at buying this CJ, what's the skinny?

Save 15% in XT's Pre-Black Friday Event!FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueIntroducing MONSTALINER UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 07-28-2013, 07:01 PM   #31
nicksdiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by thompsoj22 View Post

not even close in "attention to detail". your purchase is a beautiful rig!. regardless of wether or not it was built to be "bullet proof". that is a beautiful rig, saturday night cruise "pismo beach c definitley having fun!
Ty

nicksdiner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-28-2013, 07:19 PM   #32
thompsoj22
1984 CJ7 

im not hacking on you

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGoers View Post
You're saying it's worth $4,500?

If that's the case, in this town, I'd have to disagree. If it's a Jeep (and 4x4) and it runs, it will bring 4k+ all day. Stupid, but the truth nonetheless.

I definitely wouldn't give him what he's asking, but it's the cleanest looking one I've seen around here in the price range!
but look beyond the "big tires". it just does not look like even close to $10k. there is simply nothing original about it!. the dash is gone, the bumpers are gone and im sure everything else except the "original steel tub". "F" that. for $10k you can get a restored original interior, rust free, rock crawling drive train, V8 powerhouse delivered to your door step.
thompsoj22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-28-2013, 07:24 PM   #33
ghostship
1978 CJ7 

Both of those jeeps look great. At $11,500, the OPs jeep isn't ridiculously over priced: the tub looks straight and paint is fresh, engine and trans are freshly rebuilt, new 37" tires, lift to fit tires under, twin-sticked diff, after-market gauges, seats, softtop/doors,...these things cost money. You'd need to determine what the axles are, the gear ratio and whether or not it has lockers, and the condition of the frame. Since he has 37's, it probably has lower gears.

Although it is true that most CJs are a box of repairs waiting to happen, $10k to $11k is a decent price for this one.
ghostship is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-28-2013, 07:32 PM   #34
nicksdiner

[QUOTE="ghostship;15728942"]Both of those jeeps look great. At $11,500, the OPs jeep isn't ridiculously over priced: the tub looks straight and paint is fresh, engine and trans are freshly rebuilt, new 37" tires, lift to fit tires under, twin-sticked diff, after-market gauges, seats, softtop/doors,...these things cost money. You'd need to determine what the axles are, the gear ratio and whether or not it has lockers, and the condition of the frame. Since he has 37's, it probably has lower gears.

Although it is true that most CJs are a box of repairs waiting to happen, $10k to $11k is a decent price for this one.[

/QUOTE]

Black one was bought for under 10k. Owner had to sell because he will be getting deployed to Afghanistan. Jeep will be sent from an army base from texas. He dropped his price considerably so I think I'm getting a pretty solid deal.
Unread 07-28-2013, 07:43 PM   #35
MGoers

I definitely don't care for the big tires.

Where is the best place to look for these things if they are so plentiful? Not being able to see one in person before purchase would concern me. I also don't so much care about original if its not a hack job.
MGoers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-28-2013, 07:55 PM   #36
WindKnot
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostship View Post
Both of those jeeps look great. At $11,500, the OPs jeep isn't ridiculously over priced: the tub looks straight and paint is fresh, engine and trans are freshly rebuilt, new 37" tires, lift to fit tires under, twin-sticked diff, after-market gauges, seats, softtop/doors,...these things cost money. You'd need to determine what the axles are, the gear ratio and whether or not it has lockers, and the condition of the frame. Since he has 37's, it probably has lower gears.

Although it is true that most CJs are a box of repairs waiting to happen, $10k to $11k is a decent price for this one.
Nope. Lots of stuff he'll never recoup.

Phoenix Rising- A Flame Off Restoration? http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ph...ation-1807257/
WindKnot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-28-2013, 07:57 PM   #37
nicksdiner

Lumpy got 1 more on the drive line.

569ccf22-112d-443d-897e-9b0686e2bcbd_4.jpeg
569ccf22-112d-443d-897e-9b0686e2bcbd_1-1.jpeg

Unread 07-28-2013, 07:59 PM   #38
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

That's an OEM, AMC 20 rear. They used 2 piece axles that had TONS of documented failures.
Std Dana 30 front.
What's the ring & pinion ratio?
That jeep is surface 'bling' only.
BTW, with those side pipes. You'll be breathing a lot of exhaust fumes at the stop lights.
Any interior pics??

LG
LumpyGrits is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-28-2013, 08:08 PM   #39
nicksdiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpygrits View Post
that's an oem, amc 20 rear. They used 2 piece axles that had tons of documented failures.
Std dana 30 front.
What's the ring & pinion ratio?
That jeep is surface 'bling' only.
Btw, with those side pipes. You'll be breathing a lot of exhaust fumes at the stop lights.
Any interior pics??

Lg

10-1.jpg
09-1.jpg

Unread 07-28-2013, 08:11 PM   #40
nicksdiner

No rust no dings no scratches clean title and no accidents. All new bushings and everything was rebuilt. This is what was stated.
Unread 07-28-2013, 08:15 PM   #41
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

Confirm it a T-5, 5 speed tranny. 37" tires and OEM, R&P makes for short life of a T-5.
It is VERY clean in the pictures.
BUT, with that engine, you'll HAVE TO drive it like an old-lady.
Not worth $11,500 at all. I wouldn't give more than 5K and ONLY after I drove it and had it on a rack.
It's your $$$$, do as you wish......
LG
Unread 07-28-2013, 10:13 PM   #42
SKT
1981 CJ7 

This thread hi-jack is confusing folks here.

The black Jeep does not have 37's - the OP's CL red '7 does, which he originally asked for opinions on.

Nick, are you sure this wasn't a scam? Did you have a trustworthy source lay eyes on the Jeep prior to sending the money? I've seen these slime ball scammers use the deployed Military line far too often. They always refer to shipping the vehicle from a Military base as well.

Certainly hope it isn't for your case, but most of the time they use pics of super clean vehicles and/or the price is too good to be true. Having deployed to the Middle East 5 times myownself, I have never given away my toys prior to leaving for cheap, nor have any of my buddies. If you didn't have a trust worthy person lay eyes on the actually CJ, how was the grammar in the email traffic? Did they refer to it as an 'item' and/or pressure you to quickly send a money order to Nigeria?

Click here to see thousands of 'Abandoned and Neglected' Jeeps rotting away...
SKT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-28-2013, 10:28 PM   #43
Jeeper44mag
1978 CJ7 

By way of comparison, $10k got me this http://m1275.photobucket.com/albumvi...l?o=0&newest=1 with 304 v8, ps, pb, factory air, BRAND new 33"x12.5" BFG at's, loads of new parts, running perfectly, interior almost like new.

Luis
Unread 07-28-2013, 10:51 PM   #44
SKT
1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeper44mag

By way of comparison...

Luis

Sharp looking '7 ya got there Luis!

Click here to see thousands of 'Abandoned and Neglected' Jeeps rotting away...
SKT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-28-2013, 10:56 PM   #45
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

SKT-THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE!
I have sent 3 sons to war for a total 8 'tours'. Trust me, my wife I know of the toll.
Respectfully,
LG

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.