JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Jeep CJ Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/)
-   -   Looking at buying this CJ, what's the skinny? (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/looking-buying-cj-whats-skinny-1554733/)

MGoers 07-28-2013 12:34 PM

Looking at buying this CJ, what's the skinny?
 
Hey ya'll,

Thinking about buying this CJ but am curious about the axles. Seller says they're stock. Want to make sure I'm not getting in over my head. Been doing a bit of reading about them, and obviously the 44's are the way to go, but I don't know if it would be in the cards for a while. How are the stock axles and what would it take to make them worthy? Not too much crazy wheelin here but I'd like it to be capable. Those 37's concern me a bit, also! I'm pretty new to building Jeeps and a complete noob to CJs.

What do you think?

http://wilmington.craigslist.org/cto/3948217986.html

LumpyGrits 07-28-2013 12:44 PM

Seller is on drugs.:thumbsup:
If you want to get any Jeep CJ. Hope your good at turn'n a wrench.
LG

MGoers 07-28-2013 12:46 PM

I can hold my own :)

On drugs price-wise I'm assuming?

LumpyGrits 07-28-2013 12:49 PM

YUP, and no driveline detail is a 'red-flag'.
Ask seller some drive line detail questions and why he thinks it's worth that price(it ain't).
LG

nicksdiner 07-28-2013 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LumpyGrits (Post 15727890)
Seller is on drugs.:thumbsup:
If you want to get any Jeep CJ. Hope your good at turn'n a wrench.
LG

I'm in the process of getting a cj delivered. What are you saying that all cjs are problematic or they are always breaking down. I'm curious is all.

1984CJ 07-28-2013 04:08 PM

I would say that most CJ's by now are somewhat problematic or have been completely overhauled.
The newest AMC CJ is ~28 years old. Add to that previous owners who made mods to wiring, drive train or just slapped something in there to get by AND after market parts that come from questionable vendors like Crown and Omix. Then Owning a CJ is something not for the faint at heart and non mechanical.
However, I wouldn't get rid of mine and it is my Daily driver right now.

jeepwhore 07-28-2013 04:11 PM

Original steel tub don't mean squat when it doesn't have original dash, seats, flares and god knows what else.

I'd expect to see that price tag on a stock looking restoration/refresh but to me it just loks like a toy someone dumped a ****load of money into and they now think they can get all that money back out of it.

If it's truly a problem free CJ it might be near the ball park but certainly not in it. I'd pay a decent dollar for a rust free CJ with a quality rebuilt drivetrain. It has some nice add ons like the twin sticks, rocker armor and winch plate but 37's on stock axles is too much for anything more than a mall crawler.....and even then thats pushing it.

For that price it should have bullet proof diffs geared for those tires.....and stock D30 will never be enough for 37's

jeepdaddy2000 07-28-2013 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nicksdiner (Post 15727988)
I'm in the process of getting a cj delivered. What are you saying that all cjs are problematic or they are always breaking down. I'm curious is all.

Stock CJ's are as dependable as any other rig. The issue is the multiple PO's doing multiple cobbling to multiple systems while beating the crap out of the vehicle. This usually leads to excessive wear on the drivetrain, cracking, hacked wiring, and all kinds of engine, steering, and suspension modifications, many dangerous.
This means you may have your work cut out trying to unscrew the multiple sins of the previous owners in order to get the rig safe and reliable.

nicksdiner 07-28-2013 04:29 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by jeepdaddy2000 (Post 15728490)

Stock CJ's are as dependable as any other rig. The issue is the multiple PO's doing multiple cobbling to multiple systems while beating the crap out of the vehicle. This usually leads to excessive wear on the drivetrain, cracking, hacked wiring, and all kinds of engine, steering, and suspension modifications, many dangerous.
This means you may have your work cut out trying to unscrew the multiple sins of the previous owners in order to get the rig safe and reliable.

Ty so basically a hack job. What about a pro built rig properly maintained? Not trying to hijack here but I'm in the same boat as the OP. Purchased an 82 cj this week completely restored. Apparently never off-road and only 60 k original. A couple of pics for ya. Again I apologize if I offended anyone but always loved cjs and this one popped up and I jumped on her.

Attachment 650902

LumpyGrits 07-28-2013 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nicksdiner (Post 15727988)
I'm in the process of getting a cj delivered. What are you saying that all cjs are problematic or they are always breaking down. I'm curious is all.

Yes & yes, plus you need to a fanatic on preventive maintenance .
I have been a CJ owner for over 28 years too. I do all of my own work.
Hope your good with a wrench.

LG

nicksdiner 07-28-2013 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LumpyGrits (Post 15728656)

Yes & yes, plus you need to a fanatic on preventive maintenance .
I have been a CJ owner for over 28 years too. I do all of my own work.
Hope your good with a wrench.

LG

Lol I'm not but fortunately but my mechanic is. I will take care of her for sure.

Nafpu 07-28-2013 05:09 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by nicksdiner (Post 15728552)
Ty so basically a hack job. What about a pro built rig properly maintained? Not trying to hijack here but I'm in the same boat as the OP. Purchased an 82 cj this week completely restored. Apparently never off-road and only 60 k original. A couple of pics for ya. Again I apologize if I offended anyone but always loved cjs and this one popped up and I jumped on her.


Attachment 650902

AMC 304 and a T4/5? Be careful with the skinny pedal!

LumpyGrits 07-28-2013 05:14 PM

Sure that is not a SBC?
X2 on taken it easy, The OEM rear(POS, 2 piece axles)and a T-5 won't last long other wise.
LG

thompsoj22 07-28-2013 05:22 PM

i wish i had guts like that
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by MGoers (Post 15727862)
Hey ya'll,

Thinking about buying this CJ but am curious about the axles. Seller says they're stock. Want to make sure I'm not getting in over my head. Been doing a bit of reading about them, and obviously the 44's are the way to go, but I don't know if it would be in the cards for a while. How are the stock axles and what would it take to make them worthy? Not too much crazy wheelin here but I'd like it to be capable. Those 37's concern me a bit, also! I'm pretty new to building Jeeps and a complete noob to CJs.

What do you think?

http://wilmington.craigslist.org/cto/3948217986.html

there is a sucker born every minute and he is counting on hooking one!. ill say approx $4500 depending on the quality of the mech work.

nicksdiner 07-28-2013 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LumpyGrits (Post 15728689)
Sure that is not a SBC?
X2 on taken it easy, The OEM rear(POS, 2 piece axles)and a T-5 won't last long other wise.
LG

SBC? Help me out please. Lol


The time now is 11:26 PM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.