Looking to buy these tailgate brackets! Any help? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Looking to buy these tailgate brackets! Any help?

Advance Adapters SYE KitsFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 12-29-2013, 09:59 PM   #1
rbkelley89
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Looking to buy these tailgate brackets! Any help?

Ive searched all over on ebay for these and was wondering if anyone here can help me out. I just need these brackets that connect the tailgate to the cable so i can convert my tj tailgate to a drop down. I have cj hinges and can get the crown auto cable for cheap.

2001 orange tj 2.5L (113,000) 35" Km2 Black rims D lp 30 Front and d 44 rear with ARB 1"BD MML, 1.25" BL, 4" RC Lift, Flat tc Skid, Adj rear ca's (front soon) TW rear DS, Novak shifter cable, JB ss SYE, RE angled rear trackbar, 8,000Lb Mile marker, Custom front and rear (w/swing) bumpers. Homemade CAI. Lots more to come.
rbkelley89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2013, 11:22 PM   #2
holliewood61
1981 CJ7 

ill dig around in my parts room I may be able to come up with a set
holliewood61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2013, 12:18 AM   #3
only in a jeep cj
1986 CJ7 

Why not use a CJ tailgate? OR. Are you trying to avoid the re painting hassle ?
I installed one on a friends TJ and it turned out great.

Use real or OEM hinges ( not any of the aftermarket crap) as they will not only be thicker, but have the recessed torx holes to match the rest of the jeep. Also by using the TJ gate, you'll have the unsightly holes from the swing away hinges.

In addition to the parts ( tailgate, cables, hinges) you'll need to fab nut plates for the rear body support at the hinges. I dropped the tank, and made an oval hole at each hinge on the inner of the double wall. It's out of sight and factory strong. The hardest part is the upper cable brackets for the tub. Old ones welded in is best or you can fab some from angle iron. The upper cable pivot needs to be above the well top for proper cable angle and gate flatness.

1975 CJ-6 304 T15 Dana20 30/44 3.73
1983 CJ-8 258 T5 300 30/44 3.31 Looking for full or half hardtop buy or trade
1986 CJ-7 Laredo 4.6 stroker T5 300 30/44 3.31
1986 TJ-7 Trail Jeep project in the works
2003 Inca Gold TJ Rubicon
only in a jeep cj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2013, 07:19 AM   #4
rbkelley89
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by only in a jeep cj View Post
Why not use a CJ tailgate? OR. Are you trying to avoid the re painting hassle ?
I installed one on a friends TJ and it turned out great.

Use real or OEM hinges ( not any of the aftermarket crap) as they will not only be thicker, but have the recessed torx holes to match the rest of the jeep. Also by using the TJ gate, you'll have the unsightly holes from the swing away hinges.

In addition to the parts ( tailgate, cables, hinges) you'll need to fab nut plates for the rear body support at the hinges. I dropped the tank, and made an oval hole at each hinge on the inner of the double wall. It's out of sight and factory strong. The hardest part is the upper cable brackets for the tub. Old ones welded in is best or you can fab some from angle iron. The upper cable pivot needs to be above the well top for proper cable angle and gate flatness.
I love the look of the cj gate but not the latching mechanism on the inside. And sorcing one is going to be difficult and expensive. Maybe down the line if i dont habe great luck with this one. I plan on using this thread cost like $40 for the brackets and hardware and it works.
http://www.wranglerforum.com/showthread.php?t=170694

I just bought a bunch of paint to repaint everything ill probably weld those holes up and repaint the areas. I'm gonna be mounting a cb antenna where the upper latch was. The nuts underneath I was just going to drill some holes and use lock washers and some grade 8 hex bolts and nuts. Maybe counter since them so they look nice. And put a piece of stock behind each one so it doesn't pull through the tub.
2001 orange tj 2.5L (113,000) 35" Km2 Black rims D lp 30 Front and d 44 rear with ARB 1"BD MML, 1.25" BL, 4" RC Lift, Flat tc Skid, Adj rear ca's (front soon) TW rear DS, Novak shifter cable, JB ss SYE, RE angled rear trackbar, 8,000Lb Mile marker, Custom front and rear (w/swing) bumpers. Homemade CAI. Lots more to come.
Unread 12-30-2013, 07:23 AM   #5
rbkelley89
2001 TJ Wrangler 

This guys got a real sweat setup with defacto latches on the outside. But that'd still require finding a decent cj tailgate. If my latch is insufficient I'd go this route adding these latches on the outside.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/CJ-Tailgate-Co...-/271304737974
Unread 01-01-2014, 11:35 PM   #6
rbkelley89
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by holliewood61 View Post
ill dig around in my parts room I may be able to come up with a set
Hey hollow did you ever come across these brackets?

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.