looking to buy a 84 cj 7 need help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > looking to buy a 84 cj 7 need help

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 08-05-2003, 01:58 PM   #1
scottbur

looking to buy a 84 cj 7 need help

I am looking at a cj 7 84, with 102,000...should I but it for 2500.00 or will it just break down constantly?

scottbur is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2003, 02:41 PM   #2
CoryB

Re: looking to buy a 84 cj 7 need help

Quote:
Originally posted by scottbur
I am looking at a cj 7 84, with 102,000...should I but it for 2500.00 or will it just break down constantly?
Given my experience and expenditures with my 84 CJ7 so far, my initial interpretation of the thread title was a bit different than your meaning of it.

Anyway, $2500 sounds a bit steep to me, but it really depends on the overall shape of the Jeep.

Have you checked the frame and body for rust?
Does it run?
Which engine/transmission does it have?
Lift?
Tires?

How does that price compare to others in your area?

See, lots of questions before any real price decisions can be made.
CoryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2003, 03:42 AM   #3
sampson9dk

I bought an 85 CJ and if I knew then what I know now...I would have bought a pre-82 model. That on board computer (ECU)and carter BBD are crap. Pre82 didnt have the ECU and the mid 80s CJ are full of emissions and vacuum hoses.. you may even consider going around 1975 just to avoid any emission hassels. I dont claim to be an expert but consider these 2 things. Any mods could cause you major hassels depending on what state you live in. I wish someone had told me this when I bought mine.
sampson9dk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2003, 06:08 PM   #4
possum

I just bought an '84 CJ7 Laredo for $3500. All original but needs some engine work and a paint job. No rust, hardtop, a/c, and new BFG tires. I think I got a deal.
possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2003, 05:44 AM   #5
mad_scientist

The carter bbd carb can be swaped for a MC2100 (motorcraft). The computer can either be ignored or bypassed (nutter).

If the engine was cared for, it should go for about 120-130,000 miles (amc 258).
Unread 08-15-2003, 02:02 PM   #6
twmattox

The estimate on the engine life is waaaaay off. These are very robust forgiving engines. With moderate care they will last well over 200K. Mine is a AMC 150 (4-cylinder) with well over 200K. No leaks, compression checks fine, doesn't bunr oil, and runs just fine.

Regarding the MCU (computer) they are correct. These things run much better without them. Technically, you should put in an emmissions legal upgrade (Webber carb and MSD ignition will bypass all computer control and be 49 state legal I believe).

I have an 84 too. Plan on at least the following:
new wheel bearings
new u-joints
new axle joints
new tie-rod ends
new ball joints
complete brake job
drain/flush all fluids
complete tune-up
replacement of at least some seals (in engine, transmission, t-case, and axles)
possibly even a new starter/alternator/water pump

These are all parts with limited life spans and a vehicle that was most likely (partially) abused that is nearly 20 years old.
twmattox is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.