Looking for a AGM Battery Recommendation - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Looking for a AGM Battery Recommendation

USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all JKS Products @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 05-01-2013, 07:06 AM   #1
highred
1979 CJ7 

Looking for a AGM Battery Recommendation

I am wrapping up my frame off restoration of my '79 CJ7 and I am looking for a good recommendation for a AGM Battery. I was originally going to buy a Ultima Yellow Top. But after reading Stu Olsen's write up, I don't think so. http://www.stu-offroad.com/electrical/elec1/battery.htm

I will be installing a top of the line Warn Winch (haven't decided which one yet), I have a Alpine stereo system with a 40 amp Power Pack (amp), KC Driving Lamps, Jeep Air A/C System, etc.

Thanks,

Rob Caldwell

highred is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-01-2013, 07:58 AM   #2
Jester77
Rabidus Balatro

1985 CJ7 

I am currently running a Optima Red-Top battery in my similar set-up (minus the A/C). I do not plan on replacing this battery until it fails because it is still under warranty. However, when I do replace it, I am thinking about installing a Interstate 31-AGM7, but it is a big monster.

I have also been a fan of Sear's DieHard batteries for years. I run a DieHard (DH) Gold in both my other vehicles (and I am very happy with it) but the DH will not undergo the same stringent use as the battery in my Jeep (Winch, accessory lights, CB, Stereo, etc.). But with the DH and normal use I have never had a problem, just drop it in and forget it. Plus, Sears has a pretty good warranty.

I believe you will not get a definitive answer from this thread but it will be interesting to see how many different answers you get. A few will say go to China-Mart (I mean WalMart) and buy an EverStart for cheap and replace it when it fails. This will definitely be an interesting thread...

Jester

"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take." Wayne Gretzky
Jester77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-01-2013, 08:28 AM   #3
CJ_heath
1984 CJ7 

I run a Sears Diehard Platinum, works for me. I have heard they are the same batteries as the Odysseys.
CJ_heath is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-01-2013, 08:30 AM   #4
WindKnot
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ7 

Actually since I prefer to use lead/acid batteries I'm just sitting back and watching!

Phoenix Rising- A Flame Off Restoration? http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ph...ation-1807257/
WindKnot is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-05-2013, 05:21 AM   #5
highred
1979 CJ7 

I guess that's that. Hmmmmm. Still cannot decide and find a proper battery as I am beginning to add more and more 12v accessories to this restored CJ7. I am also considering installing a Green Meanie high output alternator.

Any thoughts and/or input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Rob Caldwell
Unread 05-05-2013, 07:24 AM   #6
WindKnot
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ7 

I promised myself that I wouldn't cause trouble and I would stay out of this. So much for that! (Oh well, I won't cause trouble anyway...)

Before You spend YOUR money (and it is yours, not ours) I'd encourage you to research the archived threads we have on the subject. There's a lot of good information here on all kinds of stuff, like whether or not an aftermarket alternator really produces what is claimed, (is it sustained output, or peak?) whether the need is really there, etc. We've even discussed whether a chromed alternator will last as long as one that isn't, due to lost heat dispersion, etc.

There's good info in there, and a lot of it is counterintuitive.

Phoenix Rising- A Flame Off Restoration? http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ph...ation-1807257/
WindKnot is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-05-2013, 07:55 AM   #7
highred
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindKnot View Post
I promised myself that I wouldn't cause trouble and I would stay out of this. So much for that! (Oh well, I won't cause trouble anyway...)

Before You spend YOUR money (and it is yours, not ours) I'd encourage you to research the archived threads we have on the subject. There's a lot of good information here on all kinds of stuff, like whether or not an aftermarket alternator really produces what is claimed, (is it sustained output, or peak?) whether the need is really there, etc. We've even discussed whether a chromed alternator will last as long as one that isn't, due to lost heat dispersion, etc.

There's good info in there, and a lot of it is counterintuitive.
Wish I had the time to sift through dozens of threads to find an answer to my question, but......
Unread 05-05-2013, 08:11 AM   #8
bsmsmd
1986 CJ7 

sears platinum has worked fine for me. i also heard it is the same as an oddysey
bsmsmd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-05-2013, 08:18 AM   #9
titomars
1981 CJ7 

I have an Optima Blue top in mine. It is their marine battery in group 24. I have had this in my CJ7 for almost 4 years now. I had not had a problem with it ever. I have a Warn 8000 on my rig. The cables for the winch are hooked up to the threaded posts and the vehicle is hooked to the conventional posts. I run just a stock replacement alternator and it does just fine for me.
This is the kinda whiny crap I would expect to see in the JK forum. We drive rough riding, leaking, gas guzzling CJ's. Rattle can it and throw it in your Jeep.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
1981 Jeep CJ7 258 4.0 HO head, T-5, D300, D30, D44, SOA
1994 Jeep XJ 4.0 HO, AX-15 (My Beater)
1946 Bantam T3-C (original Calif trailer, no rust)
titomars is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-05-2013, 09:40 AM   #10
dg6772
1986 CJ7 

I'm using a Wolverine intiminator. I asked local dirt track racers what they were using since the abuse should be similar. So far so good. Was spendy though, 165.00.

Dave in Muskegon
dg6772 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-05-2013, 09:11 PM   #11
RDH

Group 31 AGM would be the way to go were it me and I was adding a bunch of electrical goodies. Plenty of amps, plenty of reserve and plenty of voltage. You'll have to modify your battery box but it will be well worth it. I try to sway people away from Optima, they've gotten in the habit of recycling lead as of late. The batteries AAA sells are made by Johnson Controls and you don't need to be a member to purchase one and get the warranty (6 years(3 years free & 3 years pro-rate)).
Unread 05-05-2013, 09:48 PM   #12
hutch1200
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ7 

I've heard Optima went Chinese and quality suffered. However, since they don't have any color that matches my engine colors, I have no 1st hand knowledge. I use all AutoCraft Gold Battery, Group Size 34/78, 800 CCA http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...920%7CL2*15000
If/when they fail I always steam off the sticker on the newest one in the fleet and it gets replaced under warranty. Spray the sticker w/hairspray to make it stick, and look uniform. Hey, they hire part time morons, not me. Always watch for their specials...like right now, spend over $50 and get 15% off+ get a coupon for $25 on your next purchase over $50. So my next synthetic oil change is free, and the Mrs gets wiper blades for Mothers day! Hey, she's a good woman, and deserves the best.
And I have never disagreed w/Windknot before. But my chrome alternator helped me pick up almost a whole 1/10th in the quarter mile in my Hemi quad. Chrome=speed. FACT!
My review that was accepted by advanced!
My wifes car wouldn't start and we live 1/2 a block away from the store. Since they offer free installation, I offered the Tech a ride to my house. He refused my offer of a ride, and told me to get the car to the store and he'd install it. I find it uncomfortable driving w/pants on so he was off-put when we got in and I dropped trou. The battery is great tho!
Unread 05-06-2013, 10:54 AM   #13
wm69

Wow man, that's pretty honest of you Hutch...... I guess if I leave my doors unlocked it's ok for you to come in and rob me too, since it's not your fault I left my doors unlocked?

If you want AGM I'd go with Diehard platinum or Odyssey. I run Optimas but they've gotten iffy recently (had a couple replaced within a year of purchase). Last batt I bought was a Deka severe duty, but it's not AGM, and it sat on a Jeep without being cranked for about a year and I had to jump it off (no clock/radio etc on the Jeep, and old Optima held up fine for once a year runs)

85 CJ7 258, A/C, T176, MC2100, Team Rush, Warn XD8000i, superwinch hubs, 3in lift 31" BFG AT/KO
wm69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2013, 11:33 AM   #14
MountainHound

1979 CJ7 

I run Deka AGM Intimidators 34 group. For a couple of years now. Great battery for what I am using it for.
MountainHound is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2013, 01:22 PM   #15
hutch1200
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ7 

wm69, It's likely impossible to steam the date code sticker off. And I think hair spray would mess the plastic case up some. I'm a lot of things, but not a thief. Excuse my poor attempt at comedy/humor. My post should have linked the battery, and the deals only. You don't have to lock your doors on account of me. I've given away more parts on this forum than I've ever stolen in my life. But, my BS is convincing so yeah, I could see how you'd think I'm a scumbag! No hard feelings on my part.
MountainHound, thanks for the heads up on the Deka batteries. Gotta buy 3 this month. 2 for my boat and these seem right up my alley, dual purpose. Price isn't outta line if they're as good as you say. Plus they're local.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.