Looking for advice on Purchase - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Looking for advice on Purchase

Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineStainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 06-08-2009, 09:21 PM   #1
d3x215

Looking for advice on Purchase

Hello all, I have been browsing your forum and have seen some amazing rebuilds! I am currently looking for a project to start. This will be my first and I am not sure where to start. Well actually I need to find a jeep first! lol

I am looking to get a 75 or older (Live in California) Cj to build from the ground up. I am looking for a jeep that is more or less just the frame and not much else. I plan to add a motor, new axles, a new tub, top and doors. I like the looks of the old jeeps but like the extra room of a YJ(I had a 95). I am not in a rush to get it done and it will prob take me a while to save up and spend money. Any rough estimates on how much it will run? LOL

I guess I should mention what I want to do with it. I am not looking to have a rock crawler type jeep. Actually I was thinking of building it for desert and beach fun. But still be able to drive it to work if I want to sometimes. So I was thinking of going with higher gears and a 4sp auto. I had a buddy who rebuilt one a few years back and I liked what he did. Auto with a shift kit and he had wider axles(how do you do that). I should also mention I am not much of a gear head, my roommate is finishing up a 69 Chevelle and said he would help me. So I'm looking to keep it as simple as possible, if there is such a thing.

Well any help, advice, warnings or ideas would be great.

D

d3x215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2009, 09:54 PM   #2
wellmax
1984 CJ7 

d3,

sounds like what you want to do will require a lot of work and money, also you must be an experienced gearhead to complete the project.

If you like jeeps, I would just buy a good condition cj or later model (1997+ model and just enjoy the jeep experience.

what you are wanting to do based on your post will take years and access to a well supplied jeep junk yard.
wellmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2009, 10:03 PM   #3
d3x215

Wow, I didn't think it would be that hard, My buddy did it over the summer, he's pretty good in the garage but it was his first as well. How about if I got the older frame and bought a used tub from a newer jeep, like the one I used to own. Say a YJ. How hard ad how much would it cost to put that on an older frame? I see those pretty cheap online w/o any cancer on them. Some things i will change over time. Things I for sure want to do is replace motor and tranny and change the gearing. How hard would that be?
Unread 06-08-2009, 10:08 PM   #4
d3x215

I might also add I live about an hour from LA and they have tons of jeep parts and cheap labor in the area for some of the body work. Like I mentioned I'm not going to be doing any major off roading so I should save on some of the stuff. I plan to make the jeep simple but stand out. I won't need much of a lift and plan to go with 31-33 inch tires. Seats and a steering wheel kinda plan you know?
Unread 06-08-2009, 10:13 PM   #5
SlikRic
Muddin Maniac

1983 CJ7 

Look around for someone else's project they can't or don't want to finish. I got a running jeep and $5000 in brand new parts for $2600
SUICIDE
SlikRic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2009, 03:18 AM   #6
d3x215

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlikRic View Post
Look around for someone else's project they can't or don't want to finish. I got a running jeep and $5000 in brand new parts for $2600
Actually that is what I am looking for! If any of you find something kinda like this PM me. If it is in Arizona, Nevada, California or Oregon I would be interested. I'm looking to stay around 2k. I have a low budget to start but I know it will get up there pretty quick. Thanks guys!
Unread 06-09-2009, 07:24 AM   #7
SlikRic
Muddin Maniac

1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3x215 View Post
Actually that is what I am looking for! If any of you find something kinda like this PM me. If it is in Arizona, Nevada, California or Oregon I would be interested. I'm looking to stay around 2k. I have a low budget to start but I know it will get up there pretty quick. Thanks guys!
Don't know the half of it

Have you been browing on Craig's list?
SUICIDE
Unread 06-09-2009, 03:26 PM   #8
d3x215

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlikRic View Post
Don't know the half of it

Have you been browing on Craig's list?
Yeah just haven't seen much. Well nothing that I would be able to get. Plenty of decent options but they are on the other side of the country. And what I do know is owning a jeep is a never ending project with no end to how much one will spend. I used to own a 95 YJ and was always doing something to it. This would just be my first rebuild.

So I guess that's what I need the most help with for now. And any links to dropping a YJ tub on the CJ frame would be great too. I'm sure that's the route I will go.
Unread 06-09-2009, 03:35 PM   #9
SlikRic
Muddin Maniac

1983 CJ7 

Here ya go This is all the stickies rolled up into one thread.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cj-stickies-thread-faqs-616192/

By the way, Welcome to the Forum
SUICIDE
Unread 06-09-2009, 04:51 PM   #10
Ford_Prefect
1984 CJ7 

If you are slow and look around... There is a guy on here who has built a rock crawler with 38" tires for under $1000, so, I am pretty sure you can do it for any price, so long as you can network and find people willing to give you what you need and they think is useless. OR you can spend 100K on it, it is all up to you... I know that is less help than you might hope for, but it really is true. Most I would think would spend in the area of 30k for the project you are talking about...

If you can read this thank a teacher; if you can read it in English, thank an Airman, Sailor, Soldier or Marine
Ford_Prefect is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2009, 03:21 PM   #11
d3x215

Thanks guys for the help so far. I have another question. If I bought an older jeep and put a new tub on it how do I keep all the vin numbers lined up? How does the dmv tell what year and such? I'm looking to get a 75 or older so I don't have to smog it. What if the only thing that is actually a 75 is the frame? And what's to stop people from having a 76 or newer and putting 75 parts and registering it as a 75?

If that sounds confusing it is! lol But really how do you register a vehicle with different parts from different years?
Unread 06-10-2009, 03:27 PM   #12
SlikRic
Muddin Maniac

1983 CJ7 

In FL I have seen a guy build an F150 4x4 from 3 different yr trucks. He just picked a title and off he went with no problems, but that is FL. Ask for some guys from your state
SUICIDE
Unread 06-10-2009, 03:47 PM   #13
dagoomba
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3x215 View Post
Thanks guys for the help so far. I have another question. If I bought an older jeep and put a new tub on it how do I keep all the vin numbers lined up? How does the dmv tell what year and such? I'm looking to get a 75 or older so I don't have to smog it. What if the only thing that is actually a 75 is the frame? And what's to stop people from having a 76 or newer and putting 75 parts and registering it as a 75?

If that sounds confusing it is! lol But really how do you register a vehicle with different parts from different years?
Go to your local CHP office. They do VIN verifications. They should be able to answer all your questions concerning VIN#ís in CA. Your local DMV will refer you to them if your VIN#ís donít match or if DMV is only able to find one VIN# on your Jeep.
YELLOW JEEP CLUB MEMBER #1979
Don't Mistake Motion For Action........

1979 CJ7
1981 Porsche 911 SC
dagoomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2009, 07:53 PM   #14
chet44
Web Wheeler
1985 CJ7 

Just as a for instance, I bought my jeep for $6000, it had a lot of new parts on it, but I didn't like the stuff the PO didn't work on, and I didn't like some of the things he did do, so far I've spent another $3500 on it. But when it is done, it will be uniquely mine, and I know where everything is at, cosmetically and mechanically.
chet44 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.