looking for advice - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > looking for advice

*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 06-15-2013, 07:23 AM   #1
oljim
1990 YJ Wrangler 

looking for advice

Hi my wife and I are a retired couple and are looking for a CJ for driving around in our pastures at the farm. We're thinking a CJ would work for us. We live in Tyler Texas and our farm is near the community of Kerens in north central Texas. Anyone have any advice on what to be on the lookout for? Thanks!

oljim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2013, 10:11 AM   #2
wellmax
1984 CJ7 

I have an old cj, 1984.

I like the look of the older models, it has a 4 cylinder motor, 4 cylinders were always the std motor of the older jeeps, but most folks optioned for the 6 cylinder inline motors, some models even had v-6 motors as jeep bought most of the parts from other companies.

the cj 7 is longer than the cj 5 and is more stable on the highway, also has a little more room to get in/out.
but the cj 5 has its advantages as it is very short and easy to turn

many like an auto trans for just tooling around in the woods/fields as you are not having to ride or pump the clutch to go slow.

the cj's ride rough, later models with coil springs ride much better after 1997, I think and they have round headlights.

just drive at least 3 or 4 different jeeps, before you lay any money down.

I would drive at least one 1997+ model, before you buy. check out the ride!!!!!!!

good luck and take your time, these old cj's are over 30 plus years old and most old jeeps have been rode hard and put up wet.
rust is a serious problem,

if you do not know about jeeps, take a friend with you that has knowledge
of jeeps, would be a smart move on your part.

good hunting,

also note, a hardtop is a great option in the winter.
picture-004.jpg  
wellmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2013, 12:49 PM   #3
gogop66
1986 CJ7 

I would have to agree with wellmax. Check out a 1997+, unless you really want a CJ and have an attachment to them you can't beat the ride of the TJ (1997-2006). They are also found for about the same price (5000) for a decent TJ or a decent CJ. I had a 1999 TJ sport with the 4.0 and now I have a CJ7 with the 4.2 and the only reason I keep the CJ7 is because I have an old attachment based on when I was a kid and pouring money into it and fixing it once a month or so is a hobby.
gogop66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2013, 01:12 PM   #4
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

Just another thing for a farmer to keep run'n......
The last CJ was made in Feb. 1986.
CJ's never came with coil-springs.
LG
LumpyGrits is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2013, 02:19 PM   #5
jeepdaddy2000
Web Wheeler

1971 CJ5 

CJ's are a vehicle of love, so many of the more "common sense" approaches don't apply.
Since your simply looking for something to put around in almost any model will do.
I would suggest a rig with a minimum of upgrades. At most a small lift with tires no more than 31".
While there are some worthwhile upgrades, I would try to stay away from rigs with engine swaps, modified drivetrains, chopped or "modified" wiring, etc......
First, insure you fit into it. Taller folks have some issues with the 5's and earlier body styles due to limited leg room.
My preferences are 65-71 CJ5 with the dauntless (Buick) V6. Great sound, lots of power, great mileage, and still an "early".
any early CJ (2,3,3A, or 5) with the stock 4 cylinder. Somewhat slow and underpowered, but simple to work on and if in good condition, very reliable. Super cool and just plain fun.
72 and later models offer better axles, brakes, and steering. This may or may not be an issue for you.
Any 72 and later CJ5 with the 258 six. Simple, economical, and still plenty of power.
If you have problems fitting into a 5, try a 7. While not carrying the classic CJ "hump" there is a lot more room inside. They also come with the option of an automatic transmission.
One of your best assets is, well, us. If you see something you like, take some pictures, get the low down on it, and post it here. Be sure to show the drivetrain, steering, and engine compartment, as well as under the dash.
jeepdaddy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2013, 12:05 AM   #6
fourbtgait
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by oljim
Hi my wife and I are a retired couple and are looking for a CJ for driving around in our pastures at the farm. We're thinking a CJ would work for us. We live in Tyler Texas and our farm is near the community of Kerens in north central Texas. Anyone have any advice on what to be on the lookout for? Thanks!
Having lived outside Nacogdoches, I would suggest the 6 cylinder.
Tires depending on your soil. I remember it was anything from deep sand, to red clay to bottomless bogs. I ran 6.50x15 for the clay, they dug into sand quick.
Auto or manual, auto is easier, so a CJ7 likely.
Don't forget the winch.

Sent from my iPad using JeepForum
T-5
fourbtgait is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2013, 08:04 AM   #7
WindKnot
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ7 

As others have written, CJs are old and maintenance intensive. Ask yourself if this is something you want to drive and put away, or something you want to wrench on?

I'm retired also. I own a CJ7 and consider working on it part of my retirement hobbies program. That may or may not be for you. Also, finances play a part. If you're a retired Wall Street Banker who can buy a fully restored CJ with no foreseeable problems, you'll have a ball. But if you're getting by and are going to have to scrape to replace a starter, is that what you want to do? There are more modern alternatives.

Having said all that, I'm not trading away my 7 anytime soon! It's a passion, not a sensible decision!

Happy retirement!
Unread 06-16-2013, 08:13 AM   #8
walkerhoundvm
1981 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindKnot View Post
It's a passion, not a sensible decision!
Truer words have never been spoken.
walkerhoundvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2013, 09:35 AM   #9
Nafpu
2012 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkerhoundvm View Post
Truer words have never been spoken.
Indeed, sig-worthy!
Nafpu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2013, 10:18 AM   #10
oljim
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Sure do appreciate all the advice....good stuff! Ya'll are mighty kind to give your thoughts and such. I'm going to Longview this afternoon to look at this jeep found on craigslist...

http://easttexas.craigslist.org/cto/3872953225.html

Might take some photos so ya'll can take a look too. No rush on this - that land of mine ain't going no where...lol...
Unread 06-17-2013, 10:32 AM   #11
wellmax
1984 CJ7 

just me:

it sure has had a lot of work done to it,
just what kind of condition was it in when he found it, to need that much work?????????

again, its just me, but I have never liked the non-round headlight jeeps.

different strokes for different folks.

good luck with your jeep purchase.

remember to look and drive three different jeeps before you lay money down.

just like women, you normally you do not marry the first one you date, you date a few before you decide, however, you may go back and marry the first one you dated.

most of us were not that lucky.
wellmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2013, 10:57 AM   #12
oljim
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Sure appreciate your response and your help with this. I'll probably pass on this one - with its the square headlights and 4 cyclinder.

He says he also has a 88 to look at. I'm understanding it's a 6 cylinder.

So far, i've driven 4 jeeps and none of 'em were clean enuff (and dependable enuff) for us. Were rode hard and put up wet...lol..

Am proud that i found this site and so many helpful folks. And thanks for the kind treatment of a ol tender-footer like me. I'll keep ya'll posted on what happens next.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellmax View Post
just me:

it sure has had a lot of work done to it,
just what kind of condition was it in when he found it, to need that much work?????????

again, its just me, but I have never liked the non-round headlight jeeps.

different strokes for different folks.

good luck with your jeep purchase.

remember to look and drive three different jeeps before you lay money down.

just like women, you normally you do not marry the first one you date, you date a few before you decide, however, you may go back and marry the first one you dated.

most of us were not that lucky.
Unread 06-17-2013, 03:12 PM   #13
WindKnot
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ7 

An 88 would have square headlights as well. This is going to be your decision, but as much as I personally don't care for the square headlights, don't let it disqualify the Jeep. In fact, those square lights make the YJ (19871995) a pretty good value for the money.

You started off CJ and are now looking at YJs. CJs are primitive in the creature comforts compared to anything that followed them including the YJ. YJs are the most similarly engineered Jeep to the CJ. They were the last with leaf springs (TJs have coil springs, are more deep into creature comforts but went back to ROUND headlights) and it's the last of the AMC designs. TJs and beyond are Chrysler products.

If you want an automatic and air conditioning, CJs can be found that way but may not be your choice. It's all what you and the Missus want.
Unread 06-18-2013, 04:39 PM   #14
justgotajeep1

, , and my brother are rebuilding it and I was wondering if anyone could tell me where to find a cheap hardtop in New Jersey
justgotajeep1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2013, 05:22 PM   #15
dirtdudeaz
1983 CJ7 

My boss offered me a tj with barely any miles and AC (useful here in Az when it's 120+ outside) but I was set on a CJ for it to be a project. I have surpassed the 4K she quoted me for the time/money I have put into my 83, but for me it's been worth it!
dirtdudeaz is online now   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.