Looking at an 84 CJ. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Looking at an 84 CJ.

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Nitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wdGear Packages Available! Your # 1 Diff Shop is ROCKRIDGE 4

Unread 10-18-2002, 10:58 PM   #1
Skyman

Looking at an 84 CJ.

Hey everybody, I have a buddy that has a 84 CJ (that has been sitting for almost 2 years) and I have been after him to sell it to me for some time now. Out of the blue he calls me and has decided to sell. I don't have all the details but it has a 304 V8, soft and bikini top, 35" tires, I believe he said 4" suspension lift, fair body. I'm going to take a look at it next week and wanted to find out if there is anything out of the ordinary i should look for. He said he wants 2500 for it, but i've got him talked down to 2000 (hoping for 1500). Good deal? I'm gonna drop it by a mechanic to make sure everything looks kosher, but he says that he has had no problem with the motor, tranny, or 4 wheel drive.
Thanks,
Brian

Skyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2002, 06:32 AM   #2
certifiablejeep
Bicentennial Nickel

1976 CJ5 

If he has started it, then you should be OK, if not, then the carb might do funny things. I had a buddy that always let his sit, and then when he wanted to play, it didn't.

As for the rest, check out the body mounts, underneath, see if there is any rot. Make sure what is wrong iwth it, you can fix, or you want to put the money into it. You will always uncover issues, you just need to have the cash/experience to fix it.

cb
certifiablejeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2002, 07:15 AM   #3
Skyman

CB, thanks for the info. As for whats wrong with the rig, he told me that it needs a new winshield (cracked) and needs new exhaust headers. I was thinking that since i need to replace the headers, to just replace the whole exhaust system, but haven't priced it out yet. I'm also worried about the tires being dry rotten, since it has been sitting so long. I'm not sure how much he moved it around. Anyway, thanks and keep the info coming!
Skyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2002, 08:04 AM   #4
onesojourner

if you have the money and dont have to drive it everyday i say get it. 2gs sounds like a pretty good price for it.
onesojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2002, 12:48 PM   #5
certifiablejeep
Bicentennial Nickel

1976 CJ5 

One more thing. If he is telling you the things that are wrong, that is cool, but there are bound to be more things that are wrong. I tore into my 5 and I have found many many things wrong that the dude who sold it to me didn't let on. I expected as much because if you want to get rid of something, you will say pretty much anything to get it gone.

I say if you have the 2 G's, it is not going to be a daily driver, but it, slap some new tires on it, put a new exhaust system in it and see how that goes. It will take some time, but it is totally worth it when you are driving it an dyou know that you had a hand in building it

cb
certifiablejeep is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.